Here’s some salary cap info on the Bills. They spend on their DL, that’s for sure.

12 hours ago, GreggTX said:

Our DL really isn't very good. Something is wrong if that's where we are spending big $. Oliver is on a rookie deal and still needs to show that he was worth a top 10 pick. I think he'll improve, but how much? Lotulelei is below average and overpaid. Hughes is still above average, but slipping. None of the newest DL signed as FA's this year are anything special. Also, H Phillips may turn out OK, but he's also a big question mark at this point.

I disagree a lot on Ed Oliver. I'm already content he is worth a top 10 pick and he will get better and better.

On Star I think he is average, but definitely overpaid.

Hughes I think slipped to average last year and it overpaid for a guy on the downslope. I never liked the contract extension they did with him last summer.

Addison is 107 years old.

Butler is a nice 1 year hire.

Jefferson is the one that you should look out for - really good pickup.

Trent Murphy is rubbish.

The team largely chose to go the veteran route on the DL (Oliver aside).  And that’s expensive - especially with starting DEs at the tail end of their contracts.  Murphy has one last season here and Hughes two.  And don’t get me started on Star’s contract.  I’ve hated that since day 1, but at least he took a cut this season.  It would make sense to see a youth movement soon, but this is a poor year for that IMO.  This is just not a good draft to find that complete, difference making 4-3 DE (unless you’re Washington).

I suspect that Addison got paid so much this offseason because of that.  Scarcity drives up prices.  He gives the team some flexibility too.  He could spend a couple seasons dropping down for a DE who is mostly an edge setter.  Not as optimal as having a complete DE, but certainly workable if that’s how it goes in 2021.

• Like (+1) 1

I think Star and Murphy’s are paid too much for their impact. Once those come off the books, it seems they will be spending around average. I haven’t seen the FA pick ups wear a Bills jersey, so I’ll reserve judgement until then.

We don’t seem to have a “star” on the DL, but we do have a lot of above average to very good players on above average contracts. It’s not a bad place to be. 

14 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

It does make a lot of sense if the Bills were to take a DL with their first pick in the draft. I’m sure Beane would like to balance the money that is currently tied up with that.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/platform/amp/2020/4/16/21221722/buffalo-bills-investing-heavily-in-defensive-linemen-nfl-free-agency-nfl-draft

This asinine reasoning completely contradicts your other asinine reasoning in the "I Think I Know What Beane Did Last Summer" thread.

13 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

The team largely chose to go the veteran route on the DL (Oliver aside).  And that’s expensive - especially with starting DEs at the tail end of their contracts.  Murphy has one last season here and Hughes two.  And don’t get me started on Star’s contract.  I’ve hated that since day 1, but at least he took a cut this season.  It would make sense to see a youth movement soon, but this is a poor year for that IMO.  This is just not a good draft to find that complete, difference making 4-3 DE (unless you’re Washington).

I suspect that Addison got paid so much this offseason because of that.  Scarcity drives up prices.  He gives the team some flexibility too.  He could spend a couple seasons dropping down for a DE who is mostly an edge setter.  Not as optimal as having a complete DE, but certainly workable if that’s how it goes in 2021.

Free agency is all about adding veteran players.  But outside of Addison (who got what Shaq got and is a better player), they are all fairly young.  And I think they like Darryl Johnson a lot and I'm looking forward to see what he can do in his 2nd year. 

At DT, they have 2 young guys in Oliver and Horrible Harry, and I still think Vincent Taylor can be a factor after being a late addition to the roster last year.  Add a few draft picks this or next year and it's not so old anymore.