My pick for the 2nd round - Jonathan Taylor

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

A CB who will split snaps with Wallace, Norman, TJ and Neal? 

Wallace is passable as a starter.  Norman IMHO won't return to his previous level.  TJ is a nickel.  Neal is a big nickel.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Wallace is passable as a starter.  Norman IMHO won't return to his previous level.  TJ is a nickel.  Neal is a big nickel.

Well right. So if he doesn’t beat out a passable starter day one, he’s going to split snaps with all those dudes.

Just now, FireChans said:

Well right. So if he doesn’t beat out a passable starter day one, he’s going to split snaps with all those dudes.

Yeah, if he doesn't win the starting job he'll be a backup CB.  Although I have more faith in them drafting CBs.  Whereas a RB will definitely split carries with Singletary.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Yeah, if he doesn't win the starting job he'll be a backup CB.  Although I have more faith in them drafting CBs.  Whereas a RB will definitely split carries with Singletary.

I mean, with how good RB’s are usually out of the gate, isn’t it more likely a good RB beats out Singletary?

• Haha (+1) 1

A heavy focus on running instead of passing the ball has long been a suboptimal strategy for NFL teams. Research from football analytics sites like Football Outsiders shows that teams get far more value from the typical pass play (higher risk, but also higher reward) than from a running one. Slowly, teams realized this, and increasingly emphasized passing. The share of plays dedicated to runs has fallen from almost 50% in the late 1980s to a little over 40% today. With fewer runs, the perceived value of having a particularly good running back fell.

Yes, I agree that is true to some extent.  Could that author explain why they run the ball 40% of the time?  

I guess I would like to have a running back who was also a weapon in catching passes.    Swift, Dobbins and Edward-Helaire are excellent there and Akens and Taylor were not asked to be a receiver very much in college.   There are those who suggest that Swift and Helaire might have been top notch wide receivers 

I mean, with how good RB’s are usually out of the gate, isn’t it more likely a good RB beats out Singletary?

Again I don't think they're looking for a RB to carry the ball the majority of the time, just split reps.

Just now, Doc said:

Again I don't think they're looking for a RB to carry the ball the majority of the time, just split reps.

It doesn’t matter what they are looking for, but what they find. If we grab Jonathan Taylor  and he ends up the next Dalvin Cook, he should start.

Just now, maryland-bills-fan said:

Really.  So you are in favor of taking a less skilled player for the Bills. Okay.

I am in favor of them taking BPA my friend.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Gee,  OKAY the are just looking for a back up for the guy who was #20 in rushing yardage and about 45th in receiving yardage.

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

It doesn’t matter what they are looking for, but what they find. If we grab Jonathan Taylor  and he ends up the next Dalvin Cook, he should start.

I am in favor of them taking BPA my friend.

Well 
BPA is okay if that player is a DE or WR or CB (that is not reaching or going for "need").

1 minute ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Gee,  OKAY the are just looking for a back up for the guy who was #20 in rushing yardage and about 45th in receiving yardage.

Well 
BPA is okay if that player is a DE or WR or CB (that is not reaching or going for "need").

BPA is okay no matter what. I don’t care if it OL, HB, DB whatever.

6 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

So you think they're looking to replace Singletary?  I guess we'll find out Friday night.

Edit: Actually scratch that.  We'll have to wait for the season for that determination.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

So you think they're looking to replace Singletary?  I guess we'll find out Friday night.

Edit: Actually scratch that.  We'll have to wait for the season for that determination.

We’ll never know what they are “looking for.” Sometimes teams draft players to be most likely backups and they end up stars.

20 hours ago, Doc said:

The RB2 is going to see about 150 carries if you go by the Gore split, less if Devin is healthy all year and  is hanging onto the ball. They stated they want a downfield runner. I see a 3rd/4th rounder at the earliest. Zach Moss would be a nice fit. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

We’ll never know what they are “looking for.” Sometimes teams draft players to be most likely backups and they end up stars.

The earlier you take a player, the more is expected of them.  If they take a RB in the 2nd, I'll believe they're looking to replace Singletary.  If they take one in the 3rd or later, I say he's there to split carries.

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

The RB2 is going to see about 150 carries if you go by the Gore split, more if Devin is healthy all year and hanging onto the ball. They stated they want a downfield runner. I see a 3rd/4th rounder at the earliest. Zach Moss would be a nice fit. 

Yup, that's what I see.

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

The earlier you take a player, the more is expected of them.  If they take a RB in the 2nd, I'll believe they're looking to replace Singletary.  If they take one in the 3rd or later, I say he's there to split carries.

Yup, that's what I see.

So why would we have to wait until the season?

22 minutes ago, Doc said:

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

To see if the Bills have the rookie start or get significantly more carries than Singletary. 

So if they draft him in the second and they split carries, you say it was a failed attempt to replace Singletary?

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Yup, that's what I see.

I wouldn’t be surprised in the least if they don’t draft a RB at all this year and just sign a guy like Carlos Hyde after the fact. The draft will fall how it falls and they aren’t reaching for a #2 RB

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1