There should be a national dialogue in getting back to work

Magox

11 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Cuomo should be opening some counties soon. He did that to a lesser extent with elective surgeries (all the counties except the ones with major cities could have elective surgeries).  This is a good map, although I am not sure about any of the WNY counties (other than Erie) having any type of problem? Maybe lack of hospital beds?

My brother and his gf work in Erie county hospitals. Doesn't sound like there's a bed shortage so I bet it's soon. 

7 minutes ago, shoshin said:

My brother and his gf work in Erie county hospitals. Doesn't sound like there's a bed shortage so I bet it's soon. 

My future DIL does too. There isn't a bed shortage in Erie county.

Sorry if I was unclear. I was referring to the block that included Niagara County,  Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, and Wyoming counties as part of that map to still be on lock down. While none of those counties have a high population count, they also do not have a lot of hospital beds. That was all I could think of as to why they would be included with a more populous Erie county. IOW, why wouldn't  those counties start to open on May 15th too?

Edited by Buffalo_Gal

WATCH powerful video of chief medical officer calling for an end to the lockdowns

Americans have been told time and time again to listen to the experts when it comes to COVID and the lockdown … just not all of the experts, apparently. Alex Berenson shared a fascinating video from the chief medical officer of Pennsylvania’s ‘huge and powerful’ UPMC medical system, Dr. Steven Shapiro, calling for an end to the lockdowns.

Watch.

Hospital employees are being FURLOUGHED (and even laid off) because hospitals are sitting empty.

30 million + Americans going without a paycheck.

Schools closed for the school year.

Mental illness, domestic violence on the rise.

The solution is more dangerous and even deadlier than the damn problem.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

mealteam5-600x600.jpg

So, let’s unpack this a bit.

First, sheriffs shouldn’t have armored vehicles.

Second, sheriffs who have armored vehicles shouldn’t use them to shut down salons for violating a quarantine order.

Third, law enforcement officers shouldn’t be grossly obese.

Fourth, law enforcement officers who are grossly obese shouldn’t be mincing around like tactical hippos.

Finally: So many libertarians are unhappy with the way things are going, when they should be delighted at how they’re making the powers that be look ridiculous.

For all the BS TV shows like NCIS, this is much closer to the true face of law enforcement in America. Rub their noses, and protruding bellies, in it.

• Thank you (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, B-Man said:

WATCH powerful video of chief medical officer calling for an end to the lockdowns

Americans have been told time and time again to listen to the experts when it comes to COVID and the lockdown … just not all of the experts, apparently. Alex Berenson shared a fascinating video from the chief medical officer of Pennsylvania’s ‘huge and powerful’ UPMC medical system, Dr. Steven Shapiro, calling for an end to the lockdowns.

Watch.

Hospital employees are being FURLOUGHED (and even laid off) because hospitals are sitting empty.

30 million + Americans going without a paycheck.

Schools closed for the school year.

Mental illness, domestic violence on the rise.

The solution is more dangerous and even deadlier than the damn problem.

whoa liberal utopia...they finally got their wildest fantasies fulfilled....

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

My future DIL does too. There isn't a bed shortage in Erie county.

Sorry if I was unclear. I was referring to the block that included Niagara County,  Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, and Wyoming counties as part of that map to still be on lock down. While none of those counties have a high population count, they also do not have a lot of hospital beds. That was all I could think of as to why they would be included with a more populous Erie county. IOW, why wouldn't  those counties start to open on May 15th too?

Warsaw Hospital opened for elective surgeries this past Monday.

https://www.thedailynewsonline.com/top_story/wcchs-plans-to-resume-elective-surgeries-on-monday/article_0304f278-b332-515b-871d-d0286d343f75.html

1 hour ago, Koko78 said:

Yeah, I had that in an earlier post (most counties opened for elective surgery). I am simply wondering why the rest of WNY will not open up on May 15th with most of "upstate" (and maybe they will?) I cannot come up with a reason why they need to be lumped in with Erie county. Heck, I cannot figure out why Erie county will not be opening with the rest of "upstate."

26 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I cannot come up with a reason why they need to be lumped in with Erie county. Heck, I cannot figure out why Erie county will not be opening with the rest of "upstate."

Its Poloncarz ; he keeps moving those goalposts.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

FIGHT THE POWER: University of Michigan law students devise legal challenge to governor’s stay-at-home order. 

It’s fairly rare to see law students taking on Democrats’ policies. And this seems quite a fair description of Whitmer’s work in general:

“The more we assessed the executive order, the more irrational it looked.”

IT’S GOOD TO BE THE NOMENKLATURA: 

Democratic congressman said opening California beaches was ‘reckless.’ Then he was seen at a private beach.

HARD TRUTHS: Rand Paul Has a Frightening Reality Check for States Keeping Their Residents in Lockdown.

“We have no money, we have no rainy day account, we have no savings account. The three trillion that we’ve already passed out is imaginary money,” said Paul.

“It’s being borrowed, basically, from China. So the irony is we got the virus from China and now we’re going to be more dependent by borrowing more money from China,” continued Paul.

“The only thing that recovers our economy is opening the economy,” said Paul. “It’s not a lack of money, it’s a lack of commerce. If you let people have commerce, if you let them trade, if you take them out from forcible home arrest, our economy will recover. But if you keep everybody under home arrest and say you cannot practice your business, you cannot sell your goods, there will continue to be economic calamity.”

Let’s get back to work.

TIM CARNEY: If you want people to keep being okay with lockdowns, don’t make them feel lied to.

Those of us outside of the New York area have done exactly what we were told we had to do. We “flattened the curve,” and now we’re being told that this flattened curve is a sign of our failure and a reason we need to stay in lockdown.

Unless you want to demolish all faith in public health authorities, don’t make them into liars by moving the goalposts and declaring that a flattened curve is a sign of failure. It would be even worse to poison this with partisan politics by asserting that the government leaders who totally failed to flatten the curve, and then who spread the virus to the rest of the country, are success stories.

It reeks of culture-war politics against Middle America.

This chart at Axios seems to make the point that New York state and the Europeans have turned their ship around, while the rest of America hasn’t. . . .

The data actually suggest, however, that the rest of the United States has succeeded at the assigned task, while New York has failed. That is, the U.S. minus New York has flattened the curve.

Both of those above charts mislead by not adjusting for population. The rest of the U.S. (not every single part, but the country, in aggregate, minus New York) has had a much slower rise. We may or may not have hit a peak. The peak will be later than in New York, Italy, or Spain, precisely because we flattened it. . . . Even if you assume that the rest of the U.S. is really on the rise, it still looks like New York is what happens when you don’t mitigate the spread, and that the rest of the country is a flattened curve.

Read the whole thing. And remember that the biggest public health resource is trust.

And here.

Andrew Cuomo’s Morally Grotesque Rationale for Maintaining COVID-19 Lockdowns.

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo continues to show that he cannot be trusted to properly weigh the costs and benefits of COVID-19 lockdowns. While conceding the unavoidable tradeoff between lives and livelihoods, he insists that preventing even one death is worth any amount of economic pain.

“The faster we reopen,” Cuomo told reporters this week, “the lower the economic cost, but the higher the human cost, because the more lives lost. That, my friends, is the decision we are really making.”

Cuomo misleadingly implies that the economic burden of lockdowns—lost jobs, shuttered businesses, a precipitous drop in spending and output, unemployment at a level not seen since the Great Depression, tens of millions of Americans struggling to pay their bills and feed their children—is not a “human cost.

Who is hurt by this suppression of economic activity? Robots?

• Like (+1) 1

Trump Administration Short Circuits a Power Grab by CDC Bureaucrats

Yesterday, the Associated Press reported that the Trump administration was blocking the release of CDC prepared guidelines for states to use in re-opening.

The Trump administration shelved a document created by the nation’s top disease investigators with step-by-step advice to local authorities on how and when to reopen restaurants and other public places during the still-raging coronavirus outbreak.

The 17-page report by a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention team, titled “Guidance for Implementing the Opening Up America Again Framework,” was researched and written to help faith leaders, business owners, educators and state and local officials as they begin to reopen.

It was supposed to be published last Friday, but agency scientists were told the guidance “would never see the light of day,” according to a CDC official. The official was not authorized to talk to reporters and spoke to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity.

The AP obtained a copy from a second federal official who was not authorized to release it. The guidance was described in AP stories last week, prior to the White House decision to shelve it.

The AP, being a loyal member of the #Resistance, is playing this up as some kind of major scandal. In fact, it is just the opposite. The guidelines are typical CDC bumf that are long on bureaucratic ass-covering and short on practicality. As the CDC does in everything, it adopts a one-size-fits-all policy that is focused on incompetently run places like Michigan and New Jersey and New York and seeks to apply those same policies to places where they are wildly inappropriate. It uses wholly made up ‘gates’ or ‘phases’ it demands states pass through. This is not the role of the CDC.

The article goes on to bellyache:

Traditionally, it’s been the CDC’s role to give the public and local officials guidance and science-based information during public health crises. During this one, however, the CDC has not had a regular, pandemic-related news briefing in nearly two months. CDC Director Dr. Robert Redfield has been a member of the White House coronavirus task force, but largely absent from public appearances.

The dearth of real-time, public information from the nation’s experts has struck many current and former government health officials as dangerous.

“CDC has always been the public health agency Americans turn to in a time of crisis,” said Dr. Howard Koh, a Harvard professor and former health official in the Obama administration during the H1N1 swine flu pandemic in 2009. “The standard in a crisis is to turn to them for the latest data and latest guidance and the latest press briefing. That has not occurred, and everyone sees that.”

This is utter bullsh**. When an entire nation has its economy shuttered, no one wants some pencil neck Ph.D. who has lived his entire life on the government teat telling them what to do. That is why we elect a president and elect governors. Real-time information from actual experts and the policymakers has been constant. If you haven’t heard it, it is because you are too busy trying to dunk on President Trump on Twitter to report it.

The real objection is that the White House is controlling the messaging and the policy and relegating the Stage 5 TDS sufferers and Deep Staters at the CDC to irrelevance. These sh**canned guidelines were a direct effort by someone, or some group of people, in the CDC to do an end-run around the administration’s re-opening strategy by strait-jacketing state governments with guidelines that would hinder, if not outright prevent, them from getting people back to work.

More at the link:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Gov. Tom Wolf To Announce 13 Western Pa. Counties Moving Into Coronavirus ‘Yellow Phase

Gov. Tom Wolf is set to announce that 13 western Pennsylvania counties, including the heavily populated Pittsburgh metropolitan area, can shed his most restrictive Coronavirus pandemic orders on movement and businesses.

The counties to be announced Friday for reopening in a week are Allegheny, Armstrong, Bedford, Blair, Butler, Cambria, Fayette, Fulton, Greene, Indiana, Somerset, Washington and Westmoreland counties.

Those comprise nearly 2.7 million residents.

</snip>

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1