There should be a national dialogue in getting back to work

Magox

1 hour ago, RochesterRob said:

I would guess that quite a number of businesses are struggling to survive right here in WNY.

Pretty sure all of NYS is struggling between the lock down and riots. Cuomo may have come to the realization that tax dollars are needed for the budget as people move out, and Trump seems disinclined to acquiesce to the request for riot-restoration-dollars. 

Edited by Buffalo_Gal

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Exactly what the Left has always intended. It took a virus to give them the excuse they needed. 

More than an excuse.  They wanted many more dependents on a welfare state to maintain their power.  As to Buffalo Gal's statement concerning bankruptcies some businesses have to go that route as the debts most likely outstrip the assets.  Income taxes to the Feds and state in a liquidation get paid before the creditors so that is most likely 30 percent less cash to pay debt.  Being in bankruptcy reduces leverage in obtaining optimal value in selling assets.  A business could be sitting in a good equity position prior to a bankruptcy but get caught in a bad position at the wrong time can wipe it pretty much out.  I've seen it happen to car dealers and other business people.

Navarro and Mnuchin say DOJ cleared Trump executive actions as Democrats mull legal challenge

by Mica Soellner

Original Article

White House trade adviser Peter Navarro is sure President Trump's recent executive actions on coronavirus relief will pass any legal challenge against them. "I’m confident that every single one of those orders, which cleared through the Office of Legal Counsel, will stand up," Navarro said Sunday on NBC's Meet the Press. Over the weekend, Trump signed an executive order and memorandums regarding economic relief for those who have faced job losses and financial hardship due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Trump's move came after Congress failed to reach a deal to pass a second relief package.

On 8/13/2020 at 6:56 AM, B-Man said:

NOT THE PANDEMIC, BUT THE RESPONSE TO THE PANDEMIC: 

You can practically hear the Democrats cheering this on. In NY and CA alone, the number of small businesses closing permanently is devastating.

But hey...if they can get Biden into the WH, it will all be worth it.

Pinterest pays $89.5 million to terminate San Francisco office lease

</snip>

"As we analyze how our workplace will change in a post-COVID world, we are specifically rethinking where future employees could be based," Pinterest  Chief Financial Officer Todd Morgenfeld said in a statement Friday. "A more distributed workforce will give us the opportunity to hire people from a wider range of backgrounds and experiences."

</snip>

Pinterest's change of plans is just the latest indicator that the Bay Area's business districts may look very different for years to come. Facebook, Apple and Twitter have indicated work-from-home may extend far into the future, with much of their work force potentially staying remote even after the coronavirus pandemic ends. Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey told employees they will be able to work remotely permanently, if they so desire.

The change in working life may also trigger a change in Bay Area demographics. In an anonymous survey of 4,400 tech workers, two-thirds of respondents said they would consider leaving the region permanently if allowed to work from home.

</snip>

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I'm told Google is keeping its employees out of the office through mid-2021. I still can't grasp the real estate ramifications of this. Do they sit on these properties for another year or just buy their way out? What impact will this have on that area?

34 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

I'm told Google is keeping its employees out of the office through mid-2021. I still can't grasp the real estate ramifications of this. Do they sit on these properties for another year or just buy their way out? What impact will this have on that area?

While most sea change is incremental Covid has abruptly changed the game. Downtown office space is going to become dirt cheap while restaurants and auxiliary businesses will have to figure out how to survive with fewer clientele. There's going to be a lot of hurt going on while businesses have to shift practices or locations. 

27 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I agree with the general sentiment but a limited lockdown may be necessary depending on what happens now that we are heading back towards cold weather and staying inside more.  

No.  Don't even crack that door open.

Masks work, do they not?

2 minutes ago, BeerLeagueHockey said:

No.  Don't even crack that door open.

Masks work, do they not?

When I say limited lockdown I am talking about isolating the most vulnerable in society such as the elderly.  Especially the elderly that have health issues to start with.  Not what we did in NYS which was to isolate everybody.  

51 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

When I say limited lockdown I am talking about isolating the most vulnerable in society such as the elderly.  Especially the elderly that have health issues to start with.  Not what we did in NYS which was to isolate everybody.  

I hope so.  I was just giving you a hard time. 

I'm ok with where WNY is for the fall.  No reason to go backwards unless the dead start piling up in the streets.  Prove being in school is not the end of the world and move on.