NYT tomorrow's edition

Ive stated TWICE in this thread that I acknowledge the RCC has its issues. Im not going to do it again. If you cannot read an entire thread before coming up with your condascending holier-than-thou retorts, thats not my problem.

308124[/snapback]

Actually, you have...and you've whitewashed them by comparing the RCC to other religions and saying "Well...we're not the worst though."

And thus, you create a context whereby the RCC's issues aren't real issues worth addressing until everyone else is held accountable for theirs...thereby implying (all but stating, actually) that the RCC's issues aren't really issues compared to everyone else. Or, in other words, you've taken a morally absolute position and conveniently wrapped it in packaging that makes it a moral relative, thereby making it ignorable by you. Nice, neat logic that. Twisted...but elegant.

Now if only I could remember if you're one of those who's always bitching about "moral relativism" or not...because I'd like to know if I should be lobbing a charge of "hypocrite" here or not...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, you have...and you've whitewashed them by comparing the RCC to other religions and saying "Well...we're not the worst though."

And thus, you create a context whereby the RCC's issues aren't real issues worth addressing until everyone else is held accountable for theirs...thereby implying (all but stating, actually) that the RCC's issues aren't really issues compared to everyone else.  Or, in other words, you've taken a morally absolute position and conveniently wrapped it in packaging that makes it a moral relative, thereby making it ignorable by you.  Nice, neat logic that.  Twisted...but elegant.

Now if only I could remember if you're one of those who's always bitching about "moral relativism" or not...because I'd like to know if I should be lobbing a charge of "hypocrite" here or not...

308132[/snapback]

Ah, bull sh--.

All Ive said is that if were going to demand reform, and sometimes rightfully so, from ONE religion, we must demand reform from all of them. Because when it comes to issues of social justice, they ALL have issues. And I want them all judged on a level playing field.

If you want to demonize me for something as simple as that, knock yourself out.

Ah, bull sh--.

All Ive said is that if were going to demand reform, and sometimes rightfully so, from ONE religion, we must demand reform from all of them. Because when it comes to issues of social justice, they ALL have issues. And I want them all judged on a level playing field.

If you want to demonize me for something as simple as that, knock yourself out.

308174[/snapback]

The Monkey stole my response, though he stated it more elegantly.

You are dodging. We're not talking about Jews or Muslims- that's not this thread. This is the Catholic thread. If you want to have a moral relativism thread comparing religions, start one.

Your consistent response to Catholic failings (some of which you may acknowledge) is: "But look at them. They're doing it." My 3 year old daughter is kind of over that sort of thinking, and I'd hope that the Catholic religion would be too. Are you a leader or follower?

The Monkey stole my response, though he stated it more elegantly.

You are dodging. We're not talking about Jews or Muslims- that's not this thread. This is the Catholic thread. If you want to have a moral relativism thread comparing religions, start one.

Your consistent response to Catholic failings (some of which you may acknowledge) is: "But look at them. They're doing it." My 3 year old daughter is kind of over that sort of thinking, and I'd hope that the Catholic religion would be too. Are you a leader or follower?

308233[/snapback]

Well, I dont think its a "failing" that the Church as specific roles for women and men. They are a religion, not an employer.

On the latter point, youre still misunderstanding me. Im not discussion RCC failings in a vacuum here. My point since Day One has been to show how the comparisons of RCC policies and the pressures they are under to change to other religions and the pressures they are under to change are unfair. Therefore, I cannot remove the "look at them" from my argument and still have it hold water. Just to be clear here....I am not "validating" anything or trying to minimize what the RCC is doing by comparing it to other religions. My sole point in comparison is to point out the need for all religions to be judged equally when it comes to this topic.

So, what's your point.? The guy was indoctrinated with Nazi ideology at a young age. That stuff doesn't ever go away.

309234[/snapback]

No one can change? People have never gone from liberal to conservative to libertarian (or some other combination)?

And here I thought that religion was about redemption...

:blink:

So, what's your point.? The guy was indoctrinated with Nazi ideology at a young age. That stuff doesn't ever go away.

309234[/snapback]

Yeah, that Naziism...just like herpes. Once you're infected, you're always diseased. I hear Germany still has a problem with 75-year old Hitler Youth who goose-step around beating Jews because they can't let go...

New Pope at age 14 joined Hitler Youth group after it became compulsory to do so. He served very briefly and gained an exemption when he joined seminary. He was atached to an anti-aircfraft group...deserted in 1944...spent time as prisoner of war

No one can change? People have never gone from liberal to conservative to libertarian (or some other combination)?

And here I thought that religion was about redemption...

309257[/snapback]

Not being religious, I wouldn't know about the whole redemption thing.

My whole point is that if this guy is pious to the point of infallibility, one would assume that he could have chosen not to joun the HItler Youth and accepted the punishment that other objectors did.

Yeah, that Naziism...just like herpes.  Once you're infected, you're always diseased.  I hear Germany still has a problem with 75-year old Hitler Youth who goose-step around beating Jews because they can't let go... 

:w00t:

309273[/snapback]

Well, let's give the remaining Nazis around the world a pass, too.

Since it doesn't stick around in someone's personality and all...I'm sure they're all crusaders for human equality now.