Covid-19 discussion and humor thread [Was: CDC says don't touch your face to avoid Covid19...Vets to the rescue!

7 hours ago, Bad Things said:

Are people even talking about Covid-19 up in America anymore?

Nope, it has magically gone away.

Here is what i do know...if there is no spike in hospitalizations and ICU usage in the next two weeks, so almost 4 weeks from Memorial day and all the predictions of massive outbreaks...we gunna be in Orchard Park just like normal on Septemebr 13th!

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Bad Things said:

Weren't there over 21,000 new cases and over a thousand new deaths in the US yesterday?

Yes. It’s still here. It looks like we are still seeing over 1000 deaths a day looking at the CDC site. Over 106,000 total deaths by their count.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html

I think it’s just taken a back seat for the moment as far as news coverage goes.

It definitely seems to be under control much better in NYS where I’m at, but I’m still taking all the same precautions. Things seem to be trending in the right direction in many states, which is great to see. I’m hopeful that continues. But I think we are probably far from dome with this virus, though I’d love to be wrong. We haven’t even started flu season yet this year. I doubt that it’ll just be magically gone by then, but I pray it is. That would be amazing.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yes. It’s still here. It looks like we are still seeing over 1000 deaths a day looking at the CDC site. Over 106,000 total deaths by their count.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html

I think it’s just taken a back seat for the moment as far as news coverage goes.

It definitely seems to be under control much better in NYS where I’m at, but I’m still taking all the same precautions. Things seem to be trending in the right direction in many states, which is great to see. I’m hopeful that continues. But I think we are probably far from dome with this virus, though I’d love to be wrong. We haven’t even started flu season yet this year. I doubt that it’ll just be magically gone by then, but I pray it is. That would be amazing.

Do you think NYS is where it’s at because we followed a controlled, phased reopening that depended on data and certain metrics to be met first? Would states currently experiencing upticks have been better off if they’d done same thing? 

Those questions are rhetorical, btw. 

Edited by K-9

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

Do you think NYS is where it’s at because we followed a controlled, phased reopening that depended on data and certain metrics to be met first? Would states currently experiencing upticks have been better off if they’d done same thing? 

Those questions are rhetorical, btw. 

It is going to be interesting to follow if the demonstrations in the various locations result in a spike of cases. Crowds were tightly packed and to a significant extent were unmasked. The cause is worthy but the aftereffects of being in the crowd could have major health ramifications. I hope I'm wrong. 

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

It is going to be interesting to follow if the demonstrations in the various locations result in a spike of cases. Crowds were tightly packed and to a significant extent were unmasked. The cause is worthy but the aftereffects of being in the crowd could have major health ramifications. I hope I'm wrong. 

My hope is that the hot and humid weather in some areas will mitigate the spread, but yeah, I’m hoping I’m wrong about seeing an uptick in a couple weeks. 

Just now, K-9 said:

My hope is that the hot and humid weather in some areas will mitigate the spread, but yeah, I’m hoping I’m wrong about seeing an uptick in a couple weeks. 

It's hot and humid in south and central America. It is spreading there. 

This administration is very determined to get on the road and rally the tribe.  And with the understandable desire for people to not be cooped up and be outside and mingl I worry that this virus is going to be more pervasive that it needed to be. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, JohnC said:

This administration is very determined to get on the road and rally the tribe.  And with the understandable desire for people to not be cooped up and be outside and mingl I worry that this virus is going to be more pervasive that it needed to be. 

The facts at this point show that COVId-19 mortality is about the same as the flu.

The biggest diff is that the most severe impact is concentrated in those >80 with compromised immune systems

which makes Covid-19 easier to combat - by protecting a small slice of easily identifiable  population.

The early high death counts will not be duplicated because treating doctors have stopped following the WHO protocols pushing for pnemonia treatment and ventilators.

Use of common oxygen has been instrumental in reducing ICU shortages.

It has been shown that zinc cripples the ability of the virus to replicate, thus allowing the immune system to eradicate the virus without any vaccine.

https://indigonaturals.net/blogs/news/supplements-that-share-a-key-pathway-with-hydroxychloroquine-for-coronavirus

A proactive program which ensures people have an adequate level of absorbable zinc and Qercetine or epigallocatechin gallate (ECGC)___ would allow most people to return to normal life immediately. 

but alas, no money to be made in that. 

9 minutes ago, spartacus said:

The facts at this point show that COVId-19 mortality is about the same as the flu.

The biggest diff is that the most severe impact is concentrated in those >80 with compromised immune systems

which makes Covid-19 easier to combat - by protecting a small slice of easily identifiable  population.

The early high death counts will not be duplicated because treating doctors have stopped following the WHO protocols pushing for pnemonia treatment and ventilators.

Use of common oxygen has been instrumental in reducing ICU shortages.

It has been shown that zinc cripples the ability of the virus to replicate, thus allowing the immune system to eradicate the virus without any vaccine.

https://indigonaturals.net/blogs/news/supplements-that-share-a-key-pathway-with-hydroxychloroquine-for-coronavirus

A proactive program which ensures people have an adequate level of absorbable zinc and Qercetine or epigallocatechin gallate (ECGC)___ would allow most people to return to normal life immediately. 

but alas, no money to be made in that. 

I appreciate your response. I'm out of my depth when discussing the best medical practice in fighting this virus which from all reports is more contagious than the standard yearly flu. My sense is that you are not only under estimating the widespread worldwide infection rate but alo are exaggerating the effectiveness of certain drugs. Again, I appreciate your response but I am very much skeptical of it. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I appreciate your response. I'm out of my depth when discussing the best medical practice in fighting this virus which from all reports is more contagious than the standard yearly flu. My sense is that you are not only under estimating the widespread worldwide infection rate but alo are exaggerating the effectiveness of certain drugs. Again, I appreciate your response but I am very much skeptical of it. 

All of the prior doom and gloom claims used in the models have been shown to be highly exaggerated. 

Those infected but without symptoms don't transmit the virus, since the viral load in their body is too low (their immune system is winning)

we don't know how effective basic treatments are, because the "experts" are only interested in keeping the fear going until the magic vaccine can be rolled out.

why is that? 

why is it better to be have the actual virus intentionally shot into your body to give you immunity to that specific strain- when your body's natural immunity can be enhanced with organic products.

12 hours ago, JohnC said:

Good point. 

We have lost over 106,000 american lives in just 3 months. Our worst “average flu” seasons see about 30-60,000 deaths over a 9+ month span. In a flu season that sees 60,000 deaths, that averages to about 225 deaths per day. With Covid19 we are still currently at roughly 1000 deaths per day, and back in April we were seeing over 2000 deaths per day. 

The black line shows the seasonal baseline. 2018/19 was the worst flu season we’ve seen since the 2009 swine flu pandemic. Look how it compared to 2020.

1E2B9E1A-E0E0-4724-A56D-BF071119FC42.thumb.jpeg.7f0c0e3d787e46b8fc3c97a6d275db63.jpeg

We don’t yet know the exact mortality rate, but we know enough to say that this virus is  definitely dangerous.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/so-how-deadly-is-covid-19/

So How Deadly Is COVID-19?

‘We still don’t know, and it doesn’t really matter right now; it’s plenty deadly’

So, the mortality rate, instead of being a fixed number that distills the true essence of the virus’s danger, is actually a protean, organic, fluid metric. The rate of fatalities among COVID-19 cases “is not a biological constant,” according to a team of Oxford researchers. “Instead, it reflects the severity of the disease in a particular context, at a particular time, in a particular population.” Even with perfect data, the mortality rate is a living number, changing all the time, that is in part a reflection of ourselves. With these limitations in mind, we should be wary of using any one estimate of mortality in shaping our response to the pandemic.

But from my perspective as an emergency physician, precisely how deadly the virus is doesn’t matter right now, because the virus is deadly enough. I’ve stood on the front lines of the pandemic, and I know that this virus is no house cat. Every day for weeks, my colleagues and I have faced wave after wave of COVID patients in their 30s, 50s or 80s, many of them extraordinarily ill. Some of these people have died. Its virulence is astonishing, at least among hospitalized patients. Experienced physicians know that this is nothing like the flu.

We know enough to understand the dangerous potential that this virus still holds. We know that the coronavirus spreads twice as fast as flu, or faster, and that if left unchecked it has the potential to race through populations like wildfire. We know that viral “dose” likely influences illness severity, which masks and social distancing can mitigate. We know that a large majority of people likely remain unexposed and susceptible. If infected, we know some of these people will die.  

Wherever the mortality rates may settle, we have enough information to act responsibly, with carefully phased reopenings and robust testing and contact tracing. 

Edited by BillsFan4

28 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Great news!

As you and others have frequently pointed out if you follow the science and data and appropriately respond the results will be good. NYC didn't get to this point because they lucked into it. They took the necesarry measures, painful as they were, to get this point. If the state and city would have relied on wishful thinking and magical solutions instead of following the standard public health strategy to deal with this scourge the results would have been even more devastating. As you well know this killer virus is far from being defeated. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

As you and others have frequently pointed out if you follow the science and data and appropriately respond the results will be good. NYC didn't get to this point because they lucked into it. They took the necesarry measures, painful as they were, to get this point. If the state and city would have relied on wishful thinking and magical solutions instead of following the standard public health strategy to deal with this scourge the results would have been even more devastating. As you well know this killer virus is far from being defeated. 

based on actual data, there is a conflicting position that the lockdown did nothing to stop the spread of the virus.

The biggest cause for the big improvement against the gloom and doom forecast is that the models were intentional inflated to drive the fear mongering

in fact, the "necessary measure" of forcing very sick people into nursing homes is probably the key factor why the numbers are as bad as they are

as soon as doctors stopped following the WHO treatment protocol and need for ventilators, the medical emergency was over

2 hours ago, spartacus said:

All of the prior doom and gloom claims used in the models have been shown to be highly exaggerated. 

Those infected but without symptoms don't transmit the virus, since the viral load in their body is too low (their immune system is winning)

we don't know how effective basic treatments are, because the "experts" are only interested in keeping the fear going until the magic vaccine can be rolled out.

why is that? 

why is it better to be have the actual virus intentionally shot into your body to give you immunity to that specific strain- when your body's natural immunity can be enhanced with organic products.

I'm candid enough not to exaggerate my medical expertise. But by almost all accounts of those in the field who are involved in this field of medicine decisively say that infected people without symptoms can transmit the virus. That is what makes this virus especially pernicious. As a layman I am comfortable without any equivocation in holding to this position.

It's not about the politics; it's about the science and data.  

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

I'm candid enough not to exaggerate my medical expertise. But by almost all accounts of those in the field who are involved in this field of medicine decisively say that infected people without symptoms can transmit the virus. That is what makes this virus especially pernicious. As a layman I am comfortable without any equivocation in holding to this position.

It's not about the politics; it's about the science and data.  

that was the original storyline.

The WHO now says asymtomatic people have little chance of spreading the virus.

this is because the viral load is is too low because their body's immune  system fought off the virus

Just now, spartacus said:

based on actual data, there is a conflicting position that the lockdown did nothing to stop the spread of the virus.

The biggest cause for the big improvement against the gloom and doom forecast is that the models were intentional inflated to drive the fear mongering

in fact, the "necessary measure" of forcing very sick people into nursing homes is probably the key factor why the numbers are as bad as they are

as soon as doctors stopped following the WHO treatment protocol and need for ventilators, the medical emergency was over

There is no doubt that the elderly were the most vulnerable, especially those housed in elderly facilities. It should be noted that the elderly weren't forced into those domiciles. That was where they resided before the pandemic spread. No one disagrees with something that is so obvious. 

WHO treatment protocols and individual national protocols have changed as more knowledge and data have accrued. That shouldn't be surprising. The medical field is adapting and changing as more information comes in as to what works and doesn't.