Eric Wood podcast with guest Brandon Beane

8 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Ironically, in real life Wood isn't the aw shucks regular guy that the persona he cultivates on air would lead you to believe he is.   Two times since his retirement I've seen him before games at the stadium, have been within feet of him in fact, and when I said hello he didn't acknowledge me in the least.  That seems very rare for Buffalo sports personalities.

Maybe it's just you.

;)

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

The question is whether they'll stick together if they have success.  Beane might want another challenge.

The size of the checks the Pegulas are willing to write to each may have something to do with it.  

Did you listen to the interview where Beane discussed how he got his start then worked his way up with the Panthers? 

I don't think it's that much of a question.  Beane is well aware that there's a greater challenge in sustaining success.  He's also well aware that success depends on multiple factors, some beyond his control...and that a GM's job can abruptly end due to those factors.

1 hour ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Ironically, in real life Wood isn't the aw shucks regular guy that the persona he cultivates on air would lead you to believe he is.   Two times since his retirement I've seen him before games at the stadium, have been within feet of him in fact, and when I said hello he didn't acknowledge me in the least.  That seems very rare for Buffalo sports personalities.

Maybe he's just locked in before the game, getting his head into the broadcast?   Anyone who succeeds in the NFL especially on one of the lines, has to have an intensity level "off the charts" for ordinary humans.  Even if he's no longer playing, he's still doing a job with the radio commentary and just being in the stadium on gameday must trigger some of that "gameday mentality" getting "locked in".

I often think that must be one of the hardest things about being a public figure.  People expect you to be "on" and "accessible" at all times and if you're just abstracted thinking about something, there are conclusions about your general personality.  

If he's like that if you encountered him at Bar-Bill or something, I getcha. 

Wood has always come across to me as a bit full of himself - the whole retirement presser thing would be an example - but that's very superficial of me.

3 hours ago, eball said:

Maybe it's just you.

;)

That is always a possibility.  However, having had brief one-on-one, non-planned interactions at season ticket holder events with Mr. Pegula (passing in the hallway inside the stadium) and Sean McDermott (after his workout in the new facility), I found both of them to be far more gracious than Wood was.  I just found Wood's snubs to be odd.

Edited by BillnutinHouston

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Did you listen to the interview where Beane discussed how he got his start then worked his way up with the Panthers? 

I don't think it's that much of a question.  Beane is well aware that there's a greater challenge in sustaining success.  He's also well aware that success depends on multiple factors, some beyond his control...and that a GM's job can abruptly end due to those factors.

Yeah, I listened.   I liked it.  

Beane sounded to me like a guy who's always going to look for another mountain to climb.  I can imagine 6-7 years from now, Bills have won a Super Bowl or two, he's already made more money than he ever imagined,, and some historic franchise comes calling, like Packers, Giants, Cowboys, Steelers, and offers him the opportunity to rebuild the franchise to its former glory.   Beane could be perfectly happy in Buffalo, but I can imagine him being tempted by the challenge.  

McDermott, if the team is successful, will have a long career in Buffalo.  For Beane to stay, I think two things have to happen - continuing success and attachment to the Pegulas.  The Bills family ties will have to be strong to hold him.

Just now, Shaw66 said:

Yeah, I listened.   I liked it.  

Beane sounded to me like a guy who's always going to look for another mountain to climb.  I can imagine 6-7 years from now, Bills have won a Super Bowl or two, he's already made more money than he ever imagined,, and some historic franchise comes calling, like Packers, Giants, Cowboys, Steelers, and offers him the opportunity to rebuild the franchise to its former glory.   Beane could be perfectly happy in Buffalo, but I can imagine him being tempted by the challenge.  

McDermott, if the team is successful, will have a long career in Buffalo.  For Beane to stay, I think two things have to happen - continuing success and attachment to the Pegulas.  The Bills family ties will have to be strong to hold him.

The Bills are a historic franchise.  Beane will be a God if (when) the Bills reach a level of sustained success and he will stay here as long as he is able to do what he thinks needs to be done.  The only reason Polian left was because of conflict with Ralph.  Same with Butler.  I'm not worried about another "historic" franchise wooing him away.

Anyway, that's a "concern" to think about down the road, not today...

14 minutes ago, eball said:

The Bills are a historic franchise.  Beane will be a God if (when) the Bills reach a level of sustained success and he will stay here as long as he is able to do what he thinks needs to be done.  The only reason Polian left was because of conflict with Ralph.  Same with Butler.  I'm not worried about another "historic" franchise wooing him away.

Anyway, that's a "concern" to think about down the road, not today...

Way down the road, I agree.  

What comes through in the interview is that Beane is one tough, hungry dude.   When he wants something, he goes after it.  

I remember an article about him when he first arrived in Buffalo.  He mentioned in the interview that when he was senior in high school, he had a torn ACL and couldn't play basketball.   The school let him coach the 8th grade team.    In the article, it said that in his first game as coach, he got two technical fouls in the first 20 SECONDS and got tossed from the game!   Intense.