Todd Gurley trade talk from one reporter

Rc2catch

On 2/6/2020 at 6:46 PM, Putin said:

Arthritis is no joke  

...EXACTLY.......you may be able to control it (somewhat) but you'll never cure it......I'd have much more confidence in Beane finding Singeltary's complement RB in the mid rounds as he did with Singeltary himself vs Gurley risk...

Will McVay ever regain his status as one of the top young coaches? I’d say no.

TG played some of the best football I have ever seen by any position player for a solid year or so. His size, speed and power is something you rarely ever see. Such a shame he is hurt. 

Edited by CommonCents

3 hours ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Maybe. He was good up until this season. I was just being a bit hyperbolic about the Rams having very few tradable assets. 

I thought it would be funny that the HC of the Rams would come and be our OC... :)

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/7/2020 at 3:14 PM, hjnick said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/todd-gurley-16734/

Well, if I read the info correctly, Gurley still has 4 years left on his deal, free agent in 2024

His cap hit is:

YR  Cap Hit

20    17.2 MIL

21    13.2 MIL

22    14.2 MIL

23    12.5 MIL

That sounds like alot for a platooning RB.

Now, if like 'what' said AND they give us a great draft pick too, like a 2nd or 3rd round pick, you could in-essence split the cap hit over the 2 players (in your head).

Contract Notes:

• $21.95M guaranteed at signing (signing bonus + 2018 salary)
  • 2019 salary fully guarantees on 3/15/2019
  • 2020 Roster Bonus: $7.55M (guarantees 3/15/2019)
  • 2020 salary fully guarantees on 3/20/2020
  • 2021 Roster Bonus: $5M (guarantees 3/20/2020, paid the 3rd league day of 2021)
  • 2022 Roster Bonus: $1M (due the 3rd league day of 2022)
  • 2022 Training Camp Bonus: $4M
  • 2023 Roster Bonus: $1M (due the 3rd league day of 2023)
  • 2023 Training Camp Bonus: $4M
  • 2023 Escalator: $2.5M
    $1M for 1,200+ rush yards, or 1,650 yards from scrimmage (exercised in 2018)
    $1.25M for NFL MVP or Offensive Player of the Year

Interesting question (bold) for all the salary cap experts.  The 2020 Roster bonus is coming up. Now, I'm assuming it will be paid on the 3rd league day of this upcoming 2020 season (March 21).  Now, if someone trades for Gurley and it happens AFTER that date, does that cost stay with the Rams or would it transfer over to the new team???

IF it stays w the Rams, it would be 7.55MIL less of a hit this year.

From what I know, Rams are on the hook for Gurley's salary till he's no longer on team. So if he's traded after the bonus is paid out then the Rams are on the hook for the $7.55 million, whichever team would be acquiring him would be on the hook for the remaining cap hit (pro rated if he's traded mid season) for the season and remaining contract. Reading this tells me Gurley is only fully guaranteed for this season and if we cut him next season before the start of the league year we have an 8.4 million penalty for the next two years of his contract bonus $.

So if this is what I'm reading and I'm right, then yes, as long as we acquire him after the start of the league year. I'll gladly pay the $9 million or so this year, then try to get a restructure done. If not then I'll take the modest cap hit. You can sell the restructure of his contract as we were the team that still saw value in you and we're trying to pitch count you for longevity, lets restructure the deal into performance base incentives

Edited by Monty98
Misread some cap info
  • Like (+1) 1