Sports Psychology and the Bills

TigerJ

13 hours ago, Augie said:

I used to play in a tennis league with a sports psychologist. He could be counted on to double fault in tight situations late in a set. I don’t think he was at the top of his field.  ?

I do think there are qualified people who can help to some degree in certain situations. No stone unturned, I suppose.....

LOL!  "Physician, Heal Thyself"

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Sounds good but this is pry the best solution before a game to calm the nerves.

ZMP_8765_edited_773x.png?v=1571172987

That worked so well in Big Games for Jim Kelly

8 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

You can teach it, it's called preparation. 

Prepare and practice.  It doesn't matter how good you are if you're not prepared.   This is why coaching is so important. 

Ex...McD playing renegade all week for the Pittsburgh game.  When the time came, they were more than prepared. 

nah, some minds are just tightly focused on a given immediate task and loosy goosy the rest of the time, they used to like to drink a lot after the game

the outsiders have always been my favourite, those great talents with minds you couldn't corral, like Dick Allen, Bill Walton, Barry Bonds, Phil Esposito, George Bell...

I don't think a sports psychologist is the missing piece for the Bills as the team has made the playoffs and Allen's development appears to be on the right track. At the same time an NFL team has a huge amount of resources so having a sports psychologist couldn't hurt in the same way that if it improves performance, a team witch doctor would be a good investment.

I think there is a resistance in society and in the NFL to 'buzzword' types of jobs. The teams are open to the advantages of the services but don't like the baggage associated with it.

For instance.

Teams want to use analytics as a tool without calling it analytics. 

Going to a "Sports Psychologist" would be harder for some than if the guy did the exact same thing as a Sport Psychologist but was just called an "advisor"

I think sports psychology is a load of crap. Really what you need is players like high emotional intelligence. Josh Allen has high emotional intelligence from what I've seen from afar, a guy like Baker would trip on his if it were any lower.

"Sports psychology" is really just a regular psychologist for someone that plays a sport but is trying to address their emotional intelligence shortfalls.

That's just my take.

41 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

I think sports psychology is a load of crap. Really what you need is players like high emotional intelligence. Josh Allen has high emotional intelligence from what I've seen from afar, a guy like Baker would trip on his if it were any lower.

"Sports psychology" is really just a regular psychologist for someone that plays a sport but is trying to address their emotional intelligence shortfalls.

That's just my take.

when you win, mainly because you had the better talent to begin with, everyone gets playoff bonus money

1 hour ago, ArtVandalay said:

That's just my take.

You eat your candy bar with a knife and fork, and screwed up Tartabull’s swing.  Begone!

?