SB Nation: The Bills Legend-Rookie running game

YoloinOhio

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/11/25/20980425/nfl-week-12-winners-frank-gore-bills-barry-sanders-nick-bosa-aaron-rodgers

6 winners from Week 12 of the 2019 NFL season

The Bills old man/young man tailback combo might be the balancing act they need for the playoffs.

The Bills’ legend-rookie run game

The Bills’ most dangerous weapon may be a multifaceted running attack led by one of the greatest tailbacks of all time and a teammate 14 years younger than him. Devin Singletary, the pride of the Florida Atlantic University Fightin’ Kiffins, notched the first 100+ yard rushing day of his career against the Broncos, springing for 106 yards on 21 carries. While that was a big accomplishment, he was overshadowed by someone who did less on the field. That’s because Frank Gore’s 15-carry, 65-yard performance was enough to move him ahead of Barry Sanders on the league’s all-time rushing list. The 36-year-old now ranks behind only Emmitt Smith and Walter Payton with 15,289 yards in the course of a 15-year career.

The pair was part of a unit that ran for 244 yards against a defense that ranked seventh in the league in rushing defense until Week 12. That opened up the Denver defense enough for Josh Allen to throw for 185 yards and two touchdowns in a game that was never really in question.

So how did Gore handle this accolade? With the grace and veteran presence he’s become known for in his decade-plus in the NFL:And later by thanking every offensive lineman who’d ever blocked for him. Awesome. It’s no wonder NFL legends came together to congratulate him after Sunday’s big accomplishment.

Buffalo is now 8-3 with games against the Cowboys, Ravens, Steelers, Patriots, and Jets remaining. This could be the first 10-win Bills team of the millennium. It will likely be Gore’s first trip to the postseason since 2013.

The Bills still have plenty of flaws, but with a dominant defense and chain-moving running game, they’ve got the look of an old-school playoff squad.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

The pair was part of a unit that ran for 244 yards against a defense that ranked seventh in the league in rushing defense until Week 12. That opened up the Denver defense enough for Josh Allen to throw for 185 yards and two touchdowns in a game that was never really in question.

Josh had 56

106 for Singletary

65 for Gore 

22 for Foster 

McKenzie - 5

I’ll take that every week 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

Just wondering: there were a number of people around here saying how STUPID this organization is for getting rid of Shady and his contract: where ever have they gone????? ? 

Frank had a good game for sure.  IMO they did it to break the record. 

there was a poll based on his YPG and how many games it would take.  

I think the consensus was that Gore was underutilized and wasn’t racking up a decent # of yards.  

1 minute ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

I think the consensus was that Gore was underutilized and wasn’t racking up a decent # of yards.  

I’m not sure what you’re driving at here. My point wasn’t Frank was replacing Shady but that our run game would still be solid...

3 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Of course! But that’s my point: he is here not to break a long ball but to dig out the small yards AND, most importantly, teach the young’uns...which he is. 

12 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

Just wondering: there were a number of people around here saying how STUPID this organization is for getting rid of Shady and his contract: where ever have they gone????? ? 

Replacing him with Yeldon was a mistake based on how Yeldon and how much he is being used unless the Bills front office get impression that if McCoy was going to be trouble with McCoy not being primary back.  

Anyone see any Twitter/etc reaction to Shady on Gore's accomplishment?   He was a big advocate of Bills bringing in Gore. 

4 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Replacing him with Yeldon was a mistake based on how Yeldon and how much he is being used unless the Bills front office get impression that if McCoy was going to be trouble with McCoy not being primary back.  

Anyone see any Twitter/etc reaction to Shady on Gore's accomplishment?   He was a big advocate of Bills bringing in Gore. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Shady is underperforming Singletary at this stage whilst on the stage with one of the premier offenses in the NFL. He is an exceptionally impressive RB but when you factor in his contract and what he delivers, it made ZERO sense to keep him while working the long game. 

3 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

Shady is underperforming Singletary at this stage whilst on the stage with one of the premier offenses in the NFL. He is an exceptionally impressive RB but when you factor in his contract and what he delivers, it made ZERO sense to keep him while working the long game. 

For dead cap cost I still think it would be better for Bills to have kept him.  I also have impression he was a strong influence on Foster.

Current Dead Contracts

YEAR   BASE SALARY SIGNING BONUS WORKOUT BONUS DEAD CAP HIT YEARLY CASH
2019 Player contract details by year - $2,625,000 $250,000 $2,875,000 $250,000

36 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

Right here, Boss.

The logic wasn't that Shady > Singletary, the logic was that Shady > Yeldon and Gore no longer "up" for a starting role or high snap count.

Still think it's possible Shady could have helped us in games 3-5 when Singletary was out, and in 7-8 when he was working his way back. 

Now whether they felt McCoy would have handled the "sliding down the depth chart" possibility with poor grace or was "going too far" needling some of the newcomers like Beasley and interfering with the culture, I can't tell.  But in terms talent and depth and the dead cap hit we took, didn't make great sense.

20 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

He also re-tweeted Gil Brant talking about how close it was a few days ago

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Right here, Boss.

The logic wasn't that Shady > Singletary, the logic was that Shady > Yeldon and Gore no longer "up" for a starting role or high snap count.

Still think it's possible Shady could have helped us in games 3-5 when Singletary was out, and in 7-8 when he was working his way back. 

Now whether they felt McCoy would have handled the "sliding down the depth chart" possibility with poor grace or was "going too far" needling some of the newcomers like Beasley and interfering with the culture, I can't tell.  But in terms talent and depth and the dead cap hit we took, didn't make great sense.

You have ZERO idea how mad it made me to have to put my glasses back on to read this!!!!! ? 

This is my point!!!!!!!!! When will we all being to expect what should be done to actually be done? Because they’re doing it now: fixing the errors of the past while making STEPS towards the future. That’s the LONG GAME. 

Apologies for type-o’s and if I’m incoherent... I literally just took my treatment and I’m done for the night. ? 

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!