What price should Buffalo pay for a top CB?

With no 1st rd pick this year and a late 2nd, the Bills are not in a position for a top flight prospect. Compound that situation with the possibility of being in a bind come next year with the free agency of Nate Clements, and one can envision a very difficult choice for the Bills. Do we keep and pay Clements? Or is releasing him or tagging him the solution? Who knows, but the future of the CB position is looking a little grim. Well, a top CB doesn't neccessary have to be obtained via the draft and there is a full year before a decision has to be made on Clements. Going by Donahoe's past history, it's not too hard to realize that he anticipates these type of scenarios and prepares for them a year early. Well, that's now. So what will TD do? Well, here's an option and it could prove to be shrewd.

Oakland is starting to become very desparate with the Charles Woodson situation and they are ready to come off their demand of two 1st rders and just settle for a 1st rder and a 6th or 7th rder. That is not a very high demand for a quality veteran CB. Could you imagine Buffalo's secondary with Clements, Vincent, Milloy AND Woodson? That's a shut down secondary and would more than compensate for any possible weakness (DT?) with the front 7.

I realize that we don't have a 1st rd pick THIS year, but we do NEXT year. There is many variations to this thought. I don't want to be too detailed so I'll try to make it short.

a) A win now mentality with a even stronger defense.

b) Still have the option of tagging Clements and recoup a 1st rd pick

c) With a good to great season, our 1st rd pick next year will be be in the lower half of the draft. A cheaper price to pay.

d) TD hasn't been the most successful with late picks. A 6th or 7th rder this year paired with next year's 1st isn't too pricey.

e) Eliminates the urgency to draft a CB with a early rd pick.

This situation with Woodson and his agent Carl Poston vs the Raiders organization has been very bitter. Both parties are eager to get something done. The salary cap is really starting to restrict the Raiders and Woodson would be more apt to be reasonable so he can get out of there. He's tagged at $10.53 million. That's a 20% increase from last year ($8.816 million). With Clements becoming a FA and a couple of CBs who are projected as early 1st rd picks, what do you think the going price for a top CB will be next year? It would be to Buffalo's benefit to resolve a CB position this year and for the future.

There is more positive ramifications that could result from this move but I'll end this post now and hope for some input from the Buffalo faithful.

nah...I'll pass....haven't we paid enough for free agents who are more about themselves than the team...ie... Spikes/Adams....I'll take my chances in the draft or maybe wait out until June to pickup a cheaper option!

Oakland is starting to become very desparate with the Charles Woodson situation and they are ready to come off their demand of two 1st rders and just settle for a 1st rder and a 6th or 7th rder.

Woodson is washed-up. Overhyped and can't stay healthy. And the Raiders should be looking for a 2nd rounder at best, given that the Colts and Hags want just a 2nd for James and Alexander. What about the rumored trade of Clements to the Skins for their 9th overall pick?

This would account for the possible trade of Clements to the 'Skins. We would still have a top CB AND a 1st rd pick. If anyone thinks that the Woodson is washed up and can't play, then I believe that they are miscalculating the situation. The Raiders wouldn't tag Woodson if he was done.

This would account for the possible trade of Clements to the 'Skins. We would still have a top CB AND a 1st rd pick. If anyone thinks that the Woodson is washed up and can't play, then I believe that they are miscalculating the situation. The Raiders wouldn't tag Woodson if he was done.

The Raiders aren't a good benchmark. I think they grossly miscalculated the Woodson situation. Hell they were surprised when Woodson signed his tender. I'd be surprised if they traded him period, just like I'd be surprised if James or Alexander got traded. A ton of money AND a draft pick given up are a lot, again for a guy like Woodson with other issues.

301200[/snapback]

If we're going to have a franchise CB I'd rather have Nate. As Nate has more INTs despite Woodson being in the league for 3 more seasons. I wouldn't go so far to say Woodson is washed up but feel Nate a better CB.

Charles Woodson= The 2nd most overrated cb in the nfl not named Champ Bailey.

You Pay Clements what he deserves to be paid, or you draft his replacement in the 2nd rd this year. Corey Webster maybe? You don't just go trading away your players just to get something in return, especialy when said player is in the prime of his career. This isn't a madden franchise. How attractive to free agents would Buffalo become if they see we just started trading away all our good players. Maybe we should trade takeo spikes for a 1st rd pick we can than get some players in the draft from him. Think about the future :devil:

With no 1st rd pick this year and a late 2nd, the Bills are not in a position for a top flight prospect. Compound that situation with the possibility of being in a bind come next year with the free agency of Nate Clements, and one can envision a very difficult choice for the Bills. Do we keep and pay Clements? Or is releasing him or tagging him the solution? Who knows, but the future of the CB position is looking a little grim. Well, a top CB doesn't neccessary have to be obtained via the draft and there is a full year before a decision has to be made on Clements. Going by Donahoe's past history, it's not too hard to realize that he anticipates these type of scenarios and prepares for them a year early. Well, that's now. So what will TD do? Well, here's an option and it could prove to be shrewd.

Oakland is starting to become very desparate with the Charles Woodson situation and they are ready to come off their demand of two 1st rders and just settle for a 1st rder and a 6th or 7th rder. That is not a very high demand for a quality veteran CB. Could you imagine Buffalo's secondary with Clements, Vincent, Milloy AND Woodson? That's a shut down secondary and would more than compensate for any possible weakness (DT?) with the front 7.

I realize that we don't have a 1st rd pick THIS year, but we do NEXT year. There is many variations to this thought. I don't want to be too detailed so I'll try to make it short.

a) A win now mentality with a even stronger defense.

b) Still have the option of tagging Clements and recoup a 1st rd pick

c) With a good to great season, our 1st rd pick next year will be be in the lower half of the draft. A cheaper price to pay.

d) TD hasn't been the most successful with late picks. A 6th or 7th rder this year paired with next year's 1st isn't too pricey.

e) Eliminates the urgency to draft a CB with a early rd pick.

This situation with Woodson and his agent Carl Poston vs the Raiders organization has been very bitter. Both parties are eager to get something done. The salary cap is really starting to restrict the Raiders and Woodson would be more apt to be reasonable so he can get out of there. He's tagged at $10.53 million. That's a 20% increase from last year ($8.816 million). With Clements becoming a FA and a couple of CBs who are projected as early 1st rd picks, what do you think the going price for a top CB will be next year? It would be to Buffalo's benefit to resolve a CB position this year and for the future.

There is more positive ramifications that could result from this move but I'll end this post now and hope for some input from the Buffalo faithful.

301188[/snapback]

Woodson is bad analogy---he is injured permanently...damaged goods

The Chiefs and the Giants inquired about Woodson, but I would this difficult for them to be suitors. Kansas City are close in obtaining Patrick Surtain for a 2nd rd pick and they're grumbling about that. As far as the Giants are concerned, they traded their 1st rd pick in this year's draft to San Diego for the Manning trade. I would find it hard to believe that they would go 2 years in a row without a 1st rd pick. The Vikings have been rumored to still have interest in a CB, but if they had a desire then that would have been worked out when the Moss deal went down. I would think Buffalo may have the incentive due largely to Clements' becoming a FA. The Bills would still have leverage and a bargaining chip with NC. He could be tagged and/or traded to regain a 1st rd pick in next year's draft.

This situation is deteriating rapidly in Oakland. Woodson's agent Carl Poston personally delivered the signed tender to the Raiders in Indianapolis while they were in town for the NFL combine tryouts. At first, the Raiders thought that they had a deal worked out with another team. When this didn't materialize, the speculation now is that this was done in spite for tagging him two years in a row. The Woodson camp wanted to put them in jeopardy with their salary cap. I mean this situation is hateful!

nah...I'll pass....haven't we paid enough for free agents who are more about themselves than the team...ie... Spikes/Adams....I'll take my chances in the draft or maybe wait out until June to pickup a cheaper option!

301191[/snapback]

I'm curious as to why you would include Spikes in with "free agents who are more about themselves than the team" ? :(

I'm curious as to why you would include Spikes in with "free agents who are more about themselves than the team" ?  :(

301561[/snapback]

While Nate is the most talented, I would argue that Spikes and Adams are not only our two best but two most valuable defensive players, with Nate #3 (just ahead of Fletcher). Where can we get more me-first players?