Angelo Crowell

Since Posey's contract is up after next year, and we spent a 3rd round pick on Crowell, does anyone see Crowell stepping into the starting lineup next year? Can he play in the NFL, and by play, I mean be a bit of a playmaker? I'm not sure he ever had a chance. Any thoughts from the LB gurus?

I dont know if he was a stud in college or not but i know he ran slow (like a 4.75), but was reputed as being somewhat speedy anyhow.

Ill see if i can find a predraft report on him.

This is what scounts inc. says:

Name: Angelo Crowell

Position: Linebacker

Grade: 61 | Key

Alert: Y

Comment:

Crowell is a quicker than fast tweener ILB/OLB. He is a little bit undersized as a MLB but that's the position he has the most upside because he has the agility, toughness and speed to become a very good backup and an outside chance of becoming a starter if his recognition skills, diagnose and angles improve greatly. Speed also gets him into some trouble in coverage when he's forced to turn and run. He is quick and has very good COD skills in the short-to-intermediate zones, but he's one of those LB's that will really struggle to open his hips to turn and run with faster RBs in man-coverage. He is very average as a blitzing linebacker. Lacks closing burst to the quarterback and is very average in terms of his pass rush moves once he's reached at the LOS. Also lacks great size. He may never be a starter in the NFL, but he has the quickness, athleticism, instincts and toughness to contribute on special teams and to develop into a great backup if he can regain his confidence and do a better job of adjusting in '04.

We should have taken Jason Whitten with our 3rd pick instead of trading down to get Crowell.

Witten was drafted BEFORE our original pick in the third round.

We should have traded UP to get him. Especially because it has been reported that when our FIRST round choice was made we were deciding between McGahee, Kelsay and Witten.

With a a mid first round grade on Witten....I'm surprised we did not try to trade up to get him when he fell to the third round.

We should have taken Jason Whitten with our 3rd pick instead of trading down to get Crowell.

We should have traded UP to get him. Especially because it has been reported that when our FIRST round choice was made we were deciding between McGahee, Kelsay and Witten.

With a a mid first round grade on Witten....I'm surprised we did not try to trade up to get him when he fell to the third round.

I know. Never figured that one out. Hell they traded-up to get Denny, and it would have cost just a day 2 pick to move up enough to get Witten!

297992[/snapback]

Is it possible TD did try to make a move on Witten but could not find anyone willing to do so? Once the first two rounds are over the coverage does drop quite a bit and these things do not always get reported.

Since Posey's contract is up after next year, and we spent a 3rd round pick on Crowell, does anyone see Crowell stepping into the starting lineup next year?  Can he play in the NFL, and by play, I mean be a bit of a playmaker?  I'm not sure he ever had a chance.  Any thoughts from the LB gurus?

297969[/snapback]

posey is actually signed through the following season -- 2006........

OK, is Stamer the answer then? I think we could use more playmaking out of that OLB slot. And Posey is making some $$, which we will need to re-sign the rest of our D in the Armageddon 06 offseason.

So, do you think that Stamer could step up and be a bit of a playmaker from that slot? Not sure he has the speed, but he does have the guts. Thoughts?