You screwed up and now everything in your freezer is garbage

You changed the settings on your freezer when you were cleaning it and now you've lost everything.   

28 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do?

• Take it like a man and admit to your mistake.
    • Take it like a teef and blame your 4 year old.

3 hours ago, WhoTom said:

A few weeks ago I opened the fridge and the light didn't turn on. Troubleshooting time:

1. Nothing else in the kitchen was out, so I assumed the breaker hadn't been tripped.

2. I'd just replaced the bulb so I was pretty sure it wasn't burned out, but to confirm that, I cranked the temperature to the extreme lowest. When the compressor didn't kick on, I figured the fridge was dead. (It's about 9 years old.)

So the wife, son, and I hauled all the food downstairs to the "auxiliary" fridge. (It's mostly for beer and wine, but it sometimes holds Thanksgiving leftovers and stuff that doesn't fit in the kitchen fridge.)

The next day, my wife and I had a discussion about getting it fixed vs just buying a new one. As I researched various brands and models, I started thinking more about the breaker. Is it possible that nothing else in the kitchen is on that circuit, and that's why all the other appliances worked? So I checked the breaker box and, sure enough, one breaker had tripped. I turned it back on and the fridge magically came to life. Whoever wired the house put the fridge outlet on its own circuit. (This is the third house we've owned and I've never seen that before.)

And yes, I owned up to it and hauled all the stuff back up to the main fridge myself.

Fridge is always on a separate breaker!

And never put it on a GFCI.  As you do a sump pump.  A nuisance trip/fault could be devastating.

Also... If NOT on own circuit (preferably 20a)... Make sure it is NOT down-run of a GFCI.  Even know it is on regular outlet, the up-run GFCI will protect it and trip the power to that outlet. You don't need all GFCI outlets, you just have to have the GFCI early on the run to protect.  Put the GFCI end-run and all it will do is protect itself.

12 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Fridge is always on a separate breaker!

And never put it on a GFCI.  As you do a sump pump.  A nuisance trip/fault could be devastating.

Also... If NOT on own circuit (preferably 20a)... Make sure it is NOT down-run of a GFCI.  Even know it is on regular outlet, the up-run GFCI will protect it and trip the power to that outlet. You don't need all GFCI outlets, you just have to have the GFCI early on the run to protect.  Put the GFCI end-run and all it will do is protect itself. 

I know about the GFCI stuff, but I've never owned a home whose fridge was on its own breaker. (Maybe the other two houses were wired wrong?)

The fridge only draws about 8A, and even accounting for the brief current surge from the compressor startup, it's much less than what a 20A kitchen circuit can handle.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

I know about the GFCI stuff, but I've never owned a home whose fridge was on its own breaker. (Maybe the other two houses were wired wrong?)

The fridge only draws about 8A, and even accounting for the brief current surge from the compressor startup, it's much less than what a 20A kitchen circuit can handle.

My fridge is on dedicated 15a.  Same with original Microwave, the freaking builder put that on master bath circuit... So my wife would nuke coffee and blow dry haur... TRIP!  /smh.  I put new microwave on own 20a circuit!  Enough of that non-sense. Drink coffee and blow dry hair to contentment (BTW, who does that!).