Does anyone disagree?

Adam

That america turned angry with itself when media outlets got greedy, and had to broadcast 24/7. Information/opinion (and not in that order) overload caused people to become too extreme, and less receptive to the other side as outlets became too polarized.

No, I don't agree that you should blame the media.

What has happened is that political parties have moved away from center, coveting the lunatic fringes of the right & left as their hard core supporters. As a result each party has about 20-30% of the vote that will never vote for a candidate from any other political party but their own. These people tend to make more noise than the centrists and therefore get more media coverage, resulting in the perception of a divided America when it is not nearly as divided as is perceived by some.

That america turned angry with itself when media outlets got greedy, and had to broadcast 24/7. Information/opinion (and not in that order) overload caused people to become too extreme, and less receptive to the other side as outlets became too polarized.

294372[/snapback]

Absolutely! Best topic brought up here in awhile outside the usual Conservative Republican right wing mantra of "guns and taxes"!

Of course when I bring up issues of the media I'm called "whacked", "liberal", and that is if people are even paying attention. I was bringing up articles over a year ago concerning the FCC and media consolidation, which is more intrinsic to "freedom" than any "guns and taxes" issue could ever hope to be.

I hope someone else responds to your important thread.

Absolutely!  Best topic brought up here in awhile outside the usual Conservative Republican right wing mantra of "guns and taxes"!

Of course when I bring up issues of the media I'm called "whacked", "liberal", and that is if people are even paying attention. I was bringing up articles over a year ago concerning the FCC and media consolidation, which is more intrinsic to "freedom" than any "guns and taxes" issue could ever hope to be.

I hope someone else responds to your important thread.

294402[/snapback]

You get called "whacked" because you are whacked, and your point is nothing but histrionics. Please point to another period where media was as diverse, abundant and accessible as it is now.

I'll also agree with Harv that the cries about the nastiness of the media landscape are a gross overgeneralization.

The beauty of your argument is that both sides have a horse in the race. You scream about the bad old Republicans stifling free speech, while the conservatives scream about the lefty media controling the populace.

As for media drevil lemmie see here:

Right now on TV there's some crime drama on NBC. Basketball's on CBS while Fox has on America's Most Armed and Dangerous. ABC is gearing up for their POPE special while PBS does have an interesting point about the assassination of Arch Bishop Romero in El Salvador By US trained Death Squads (School Of AMERICAS Fort Bening GA), and Pope John Pauls outrage concerning our Latin American policy.

Radio in WNY is crap. Anyone who lives here can tell you that.

The Buffalo News is crap, anyone liberal or conservative can tell you that.

Ah drevil......so many options so little time.

You get called "whacked" because you are whacked, and your point is nothing but histrionics.  Please point to another period where media was as diverse, abundant  and accessible as it is now.

I'll also agree with Harv that the cries about the nastiness of the media landscape are a gross overgeneralization. 

The beauty of your argument is that both sides have a horse in the race.  You scream about the bad old Republicans stifling free speech, while the conservatives scream about the lefty media controling the populace.

294411[/snapback]

The sad thing is that both viewpoints are inserted into the news. Who decides that these reporters are experts on anything other than putting a show on the air.....their radical opinions do not impress me, and the fact that they are on TV doesnt impress me either.

News reporters need to get back to reporting the news, not making it.

As for media drevil lemmie see here:

Right now on TV there's some crime drama on NBC. Basketball's on CBS while Fox has on America's Most Armed and Dangerous. ABC is gearing up for their POPE special while PBS does have an interesting point about the assassination of Arch Bishop Romero in El Salvador By US trained Death Squads (School Of AMERICAS Fort Bening GA), and Pope John Pauls outrage concerning our Latin American policy.

Radio in WNY is crap. Anyone who lives here can tell you that.

The Buffalo News is crap, anyone liberal or conservative can tell you that.

Ah drevil......so many options so little time.

294416[/snapback]

Hey, thanks for the memory. It was probably time to retire Alex anyway.

How about answering the question before turning into a TV critic?

Even a cheapskate like you is able to get 6 free TV broadcasts and about 20 radio broadcasts (I'm not counting the Canadian stations) in WNY. I would also guess that you're lumping Air America in the whole pile of radio garbage.

Of course, let the whole world live by your lofty standard. Never mind that over 70% of Americans have over 100 TV channels on their sets. Never mind that for $12/mo you can get over 100 radio channels, or if you wire your cable/sat box, you can get 40 music stations from your TV box. Never mind that you can get video of world events with a few clicks of the mouse. Never mind that you get instant sources of information on events across the world from the local news outlets.

But, because you choose not to partake in the advancement of technology to get your fill of media, the FCC sucks. Why aren't you crying about the death of the telegraph by the phone compnies?

The sad thing is that both viewpoints are inserted into the news. Who decides that these reporters are experts on anything other than putting a show on the air.....their radical opinions do not impress me, and the fact that they are on TV doesnt impress me either.

News reporters need to get back to reporting the news, not making it.

294422[/snapback]

You're clinging to a nostalgic ideal that never existed. By presenting a second or third hand account, news reporters always introduce personal bias. It can't be helped, and it goes all the way from the writers to editors to anchors.

Your job is to have an personal filter to decide on your own whether to treat the story as solid news or fake news.

You're clinging to a nostalgic ideal that never existed.  By presenting a second or third hand account, news reporters always introduce personal bias.  It can't be helped, and it goes all the way from the writers to editors to anchors. 

Your job is to have an personal filter to decide on your own whether to treat the story as solid news or fake news.

294440[/snapback]

Not really- its called reporting facts, not editorializing.......journalists have been pretty good at it over the years, not the good looking actors some of the 24/7 chennels use now to entertain people.

Not really- its called reporting facts, not editorializing.......journalists have been pretty good at it over the years, not the good looking actors some of the 24/7 chennels use now to entertain people.

294443[/snapback]

The straight news outlets are still there. Save for the Dan Rather embarrasment, the large news outlets are still fairly solid in their reporting.

If people don't realize that the 24/7 news networks are basically lined with op-ed shows, whose fault is that? Is the fact that many young adults get their "news" from The Daily Show, an indictment of media companies or the US public?

The straight news outlets are still there.  Save for the Dan Rather embarrasment, the large news outlets are still fairly solid in their reporting.

If people don't realize that the 24/7 news networks are basically lined with op-ed shows, whose fault is that?  Is the fact that many young adults get their "news" from The Daily Show, an indictment of media companies or the US public?

294452[/snapback]

both

Hey, thanks for the memory.  It was probably time to retire Alex anyway.

How about answering the question before turning into a TV critic? 

Even a cheapskate like you is able to get 6 free TV broadcasts and about 20 radio broadcasts (I'm not counting the Canadian stations) in WNY.  I would also guess that you're lumping Air America in the whole pile of radio garbage. 

Of course, let the whole world live by your lofty standard.  Never mind that over 70% of Americans have over 100 TV channels on their sets.  Never mind that for $12/mo you can get over 100 radio channels, or if you wire your cable/sat box, you can get 40 music stations from your TV box.  Never mind that you can get video of world events with a few clicks of the mouse.  Never mind that you get instant sources of information on events across the world from the local news outlets.

But, because you choose not to partake in the advancement of technology to get your fill of media, the FCC sucks.   Why aren't you crying about the death of the telegraph by the phone compnies?

294438[/snapback]

Nevermind that he can access any newspaper in the world online right here-

http://www.refdesk.com/paper.html

If he solely relys on the Buffalo News for his information its his own damn fault hes ignorant. The internet- welcome to the 21st century!

294372[/snapback]

Yes, I disagree. There has been anger and disatisfaction, along with greedy media, and VERY extreme media (much worse than what we see now), since there was first media here in the America. The delivery method has changed; little else has, except that the media may be more civil now than when the founding fathers were running around.

That america turned angry with itself when media outlets got greedy, and had to broadcast 24/7.

294372[/snapback]

And here I was this whole time thinking that nobody else realized the Civil War was caused by CNN. :rolleyes:

294372[/snapback]

Oh right the glory days where when the 3 networks and NYT said/ printed all the news that fits