MMQB AFC East Offseason reports: Dolphins, Jets Preparing to Lose

10 hours ago, fansince88 said:

I just cant understand how the NFL talking heads can keep calling Charles Clay a great player. He wasn't all the years he was here!

To be fair  IIRC   his first few season were good until the injury buy hit.   Last season he just fell off the map.

He had one very good season in Miami with 6 TD's .

In Buffalo he had a 66.2% catch rate (his best) both in 2015 and 2017.

3 TD's in 2015,  4 TD's in 2016 and 20 in 21017 when he had the most yards in only 13 games with 558. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/ClayCh00.htm

1 hour ago, Dave Allen said:

Now the media can't jump off that bandwagon quick enough. They're breaking ankles, lol.

Don’t worry.  GM/Coach/oberst Führer Gase is keeping his eyes on that bunch.  ?Makin’ a list, and checking it twice...?

15 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...OBD got woefully snookered by Fins expecting them to match and infringing on their cap space......backfired especially with his nagging health issues.....

I don't think this is true at all. The New regime under Rex with Roman as OC wanted an all-purpose TE and they were very familiar with what Clay could do. They structured a contract that would make it very difficult for the Dolphins to match as they were in cap straits due to signing Suh. I think Clay gave them what they wanted and was a good player, but they over-paid because they really wanted him. In his first 3 years he averaged about 50 catches, 500+ yards, and 14 games per season, all while playing with a QB who was known for not seeing the middle of the field well. Injuries plagued him after that.