PFF highest drop rates for QB's

The league avg for 'right on target' throws is between 15 and 16%. Josh's figure for 2018 was 8 point something percent -- about half the avg. That's obviously a big factor. It's not all on the receivers.

On 5/2/2019 at 2:02 PM, Juice_32 said:

And Kroft/Knox. The Bills brass have implied a few times that Allen needs to take what the D gives him better. I think high % throws will be a big emphasis for him the year.

I agree with the point of this, but Kroft and Knox won’t be the ones too help with the high % throws. Kroft is mostly known to be a blocker and a poor receiver while Knox is seen as a straight line runner with very raw route running skills (which makes for seam routes). 

Although between Beasley and Croom, and maybe a little Zay and TJ Yeldon, I do believe the high % throws are going to increase quite a bit this year. 

I went back and watched some all-22, the charles clay hail mary dolphins game specifically, and the amount of verticals/seams/deep routes we ran was unbelievable.  The offensive line simply couldn’t hold up long enough for Josh to see the receivers create any separation.  A third of this was on the o-line, a third of this was on the receivers, and a third was Josh not seeing the whole field/not having an uber accurate arm. 

You could see our offense desparately needed a Cole Beasley to run the 5-10 yard routes out of the slot while the rest of the receivers got deep.   I don’t believe that our offensive philosophy will change very much this year, it’ll just improve.  We’ll keep running the deep crosses and vertical routes, except now we have the offensive line to buy Josh an extra half second, and we’ll have Beasley hanging out within reasonable range of the line of scrimmage if the o-line can’t hold up or if the receivers can’t create separation deep. 

Also, the o-line should be able to create more holes and provide for a more effective running game, which will open up the play action much more efficiently than last year where defenses wouldn’t even bite on it. 

On 5/6/2019 at 8:16 AM, FeelingOnYouboty said:

2nd in most drops and 2nd in pressured and he still had a decent rookie season. Can't wait to see what he does in Year 2.

I think this is an extremely important distinction that he was 2nd in BOTH. BOTH tremendously effect his completion %.  Agreed on Year 2!

16 hours ago, GreggTX said:

The league avg for 'right on target' throws is between 15 and 16%. Josh's figure for 2018 was 8 point something percent -- about half the avg. That's obviously a big factor. It's not all on the receivers.

You're correct - see the post above from Youboty, there's a ton of blame on the protection as well.  There's definitely some on Josh and he needs to improve, but with better catch rate and protection, we will get to see if and how much he improves.