PFF highest drop rates for QB's

You take these drop rates and add them to the QB pressure rates with Josh being at or near the top, also produced by PFF, and it's no wonder Josh's completion percentage and overall body of work in the passing game looked worse than it really was....that's NOT saying he doesn't really need to grow and mature as a NFL QB - he certainly does. But, IMHO, these stats tell the story my eyes already knew: there's growth to be had, but it's not the leap as big as some are saying it needs to be. An improved Offensive line (if in fact that becomes reality) and improved WRs and catch rate ALONE will show some signs of Offensive life. Now, IF Josh can make some big strides as a QB and those other circumstances are shown to be improved, well now....we have ourselves a legit Offense. 

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

A lot of not good QBs on this list.  I think catchable ball should be a stat.  I would bet the best qbs throw the easiest plays to catch. I would bet Mike Vick and Jeff George had a high drop rate.

From PFF's Glossary Page (bolded italics mine) :

"Drop Rate

Drop rate is another individualized statistic for receivers (or any pass-catcher for that matter) as it takes into account the amount of catchable targets thrown a receiver’s way against the amount of dropped passes on those catchable targets. This isolates the amount of actual passes that could be caught by a receiver, not the amount of total targets, and produces a better mark of how ‘sure’ a receiver’s hands are a given game, season, career."

That being said, I think your point still stands, to a degree. I remember Jay Cutler, early in his career, would absolutely rifle passes at his receivers when that amount of velocity was unnecessary. But, I do think that the way PFF administers this particular stat, it mostly removes accuracy issues from the statistical results.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I think it is a combonation of

- Players not securing the ball

- Josh Allen throwing the ball to hard in his short passing game

Players not securing the ball?--  Of course.

Josh Allen throwing the ball too hard in his short passing game?-- I'm not so sure I agree with that.

In fact, watching him last season, I felt that one of his strengths was his ability to throw to a poor WR corp-- an ability he undoubtedly learned at U of W. We did, after all, have literally the worst receiving corp in the NFL, according to several outlets, including Bleacher Report, and PFF. 

On 5/2/2019 at 11:49 AM, Reader said:

Here's hoping that Brown and Beasley can improve this.

PFF twitter post. Allen is tied for 2nd at 6.3%. 

while several of the drops were no doubt the receiver's fault, Allen's 60+ mph zingers are not that easy to latch on to. Hope Daboll has extensive zinger catching practice for the receiver corps this TC.

23 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

A lot of not good QBs on this list.  I think catchable ball should be a stat.  I would bet the best qbs throw the easiest plays to catch. I would bet Mike Vick and Jeff George had a high drop rate.

Maybe you're not taking Bortles high drop rate serious enough.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 5/3/2019 at 1:48 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

Allen only put the ball in the perfect spot 8.6 percent of the time, per PFF. That is 6.5 percentage points less than the league average.’

https://buffalonews.com/2019/05/03/buffalo-bills-josh-allen-quarterback-jim-kubiak-year-two/

On 5/3/2019 at 9:48 PM, IgotBILLStopay said:

while several of the drops were no doubt the receiver's fault, Allen's 60+ mph zingers are not that easy to latch on to. Hope Daboll has extensive zinger catching practice for the receiver corps this TC.

This is why I was happy the signed Tyreek. Another rifle arm to get the recievers used to fast balls. Might have a few broken fingers though

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/3/2019 at 6:07 PM, John from Riverside said:

I think it is a combonation of

- Players not securing the ball

- Josh Allen throwing the ball to hard in his short passing game

...a very fair point......the kid has a cannon plus mucho adrenalin flowing to put the entire team on his back....finesse and touch are all part of the learning process...despite all of the naysayers, he can do this.....

On 5/2/2019 at 1:19 PM, TroutDog said:

I’m content with who they brought in this year in the WR room. All of the FA’s have proven hands and with Josh, hopefully, working on touch in his short game, we should see an uptick.

The separation that Beasley can get, alone, will help. 

I remember John Elway having a similar issue, took him a few years to take some speed off his fastball so guys could catch it.  When he did, his numbers went

Edited by North Buffalo
  • Like (+1) 2

On 5/2/2019 at 1:08 PM, BillsfaninSB said:

That ball was under thrown.  Not putting that all on Clay. 

All Clay had to do is try and catch that ball the was NO defender in sight , 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Putin said:

All Clay had to do is try and catch that ball the was NO defender in sight , 

it was all on feet of Clay... come back for the ball, catch the ball first, then score the touchdown... had time to do both.

• Like (+1) 2

Take away two drops a game, if throwing on average 25 times a game, and he's right at the magic 60% threshold so many have.  The kid has a ways to go obviously, like most young QBs the key is to get the game to slow down enough to make good reads, and thus get the ball out quicker.  That is turn helps mechanics.  Excited to see his progression.

1 hour ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

The Bills WR unit is still below average and Josh throws the ball really hard so I anticipate the drop rate to remain high.  

While we have no pro bowl level WRs, we're definitely not below average. I'd say even the "experts" would rank our WR corps as league average.

• Like (+1) 1