Booster club meeting tonight

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry I didn't get on the computer last night. After the meeting I listened to the cell phone messages and had to go to the Emergency room because my sister needs emergency gall blader surgery. LONG NIGHT, but I'm here at work waiting to here what time the surgery is.

The meeting

First speaker was a man who wrote a book about Buffalo's Championship season Pre NFL in the 20's--I did not take notes but it was very interesting to know that they got screwed out of it by George Halas extending the season until his team won.

Second speaker was Mark Ghong(SP) the beat writer for the Buffalo paper and he talked about JP and some locker room chatter.

The third speaker was a rep from Hunter's Hope. He spoke of all the work and progress they have made in search for a cure.

I think the most got out of the meeting was a new respect for Andre Reed. I have some personal issues with Andre because of the way he acted on and off the field. Yes he was a great receiver but he would not run thru the plays if he was not getting the ball and his off field treatment of some fans still bothers me. THE NEW RESPECT for him came from hearing that He along with several of Jim's best friends Bruce, Thurman etc. gave part and sometimes all of their signing bonus to Hunter's Hope to start the foundation.

I guess there are millions of reasons to love these men on and off the field. Sorry I just love the human interest side of the players.

Tasker was happy to know that his meatloaf recipe lives on for others in the new Booster Club Cookbook (from a recent newspaper article he was not at the meeting)

There will be the first meeting of the Bills Collectible Club at the stadium this Saturday. The Paul McGuire Suite 10 - noon. All welcome. Bring some of your stuff to show and trade or buy and sell. There is no formal format yet. I'm not sure I'm going yet because of Mary and that is my ONLY free day this week.

First speaker was a man who wrote a book about Buffalo's Championship season Pre NFL in the 20's--I did not take notes but it was very interesting to know that they got screwed out of it by George Halas extending the season until his team won.

290658[/snapback]

First, let me say I am sorry to hear about your sister, and I hope for a speedy recovery.

About the first speaker, I am guessing that was Jeffrey Miller talking about the 1921 Buffalo All-Americans. BTW, it was not pre-NFL but the beginning of the NFL. The NFL started in 1920, but it was under a different name (APFA). The NFL name started in 1922.

I disagree with Miller's hypothesis that Buffalo was screwed out of the championship in 1921. It is Buffalo's fault, not Halas'. Buffalo had the championship wrapped up but decided to play "exhibition" games against Akron and Chicago (Staleys). Just because one team calls them "exhibition" games does not mean that the league views it the same way. Buffalo lost because:

1) They lost to Chicago in the last game of the season. At the time, the second game counted more than the first in league tie-breakers.

2) There was no official end to the season at the time. The league ends when teams decide to stop playing.

3) Buffalo was stupid to schedule the Akron game the day before the Chicago game. They were beat up, while Chicago was rested. Combine that with the scandal involving the Philadelphia Quakers resulting in the loss of several key players and Buffalo was hurting.