Travis Haters

Dawgg

I'm not a Travis Henry hater, I just feel that he's not the brightest guy on the team, his agent is an idiot & he signed a contract that he is obligated to honor, whether he likes it or not.  Here's my response to a guy who probably has never seen Henry play and has no idea of any of his off the field troubles. 

The antidote to the SI Story:

Henry Should Keep Quiet and Let The Bills Deal Him On Their Own Terms

Travis Henry feels the Buffalo Bills have been dragging their feet in trading him to the Arizona Cardinals and he's mad as hell and not going to take it anymore.  My question to Travis Henry is: "Who appointed you GM of the Buffalo Bills, or even the Arizona Cardinals?"  These two teams are negotiating a trade that would involve Henry and Arizona tackle L.J. Shelton.  Both players have lost starting jobs and want a change of scenery.  While we who follow the Buffalo Bills are getting used to hearing Travis Henry's almost daily rant about how he'll never again don a Bills uniform, we don't hear much from Shelton, maybe because he understands that getting traded today or the day of the draft has very little effect on the upcomming season.

The national media (nationals) has leaned towards Henry's side, not comprehending how the Bills could treat this loyal player.  We here in Bills Country know a little bit more about Travis Henry.  I'll call it the Henry that the national Jack of All Trades, Masters of None reporters see versus the Buffalo side of Henry. 

The nationals start with the fact that the Bills took a gamble on Willis McGahee in the 2003 draft, after Travis Henry had rushed for 1,438 yards and 13 touchdowns in 2002 adding another touchdown catch for a total of 14 tds.  They say Henry took it like a man, came back to rush for 1,356 in 2003 and even played with a broken leg, when he could have sat out the last few games in a meaningless December.  They continue on the "good soldier" bit by citing Henry's lack of complaining after he lost his job to Willis McGahee early into the 2004 season.

We in Bills Country, who follow the team a lot closer than the nationals, have seen the many sides of Travis Henry, and he doesn't shine as brightly as portrayed by his latest supporter in SI.  We recall the Travis Henry who has exhibited poor judgement throughout his 4 years in the NFL.  Heck, if he had always exhibited sound judgement, he wouldn't even find himself in the fix he currently perceives himself to be in.  We remember that Travis Henry signed a 4 year contract after being selected by the Bills in round 2 of the 2001 NFL draft.  If you do the math, that would make Travis Henry a free agent after the 2004 season.  Unfortunately, Henry squandered his money and was flat broke after the 2002 season and agreed to extend his contract an extra year in order to get much needed cash in his pocket. 

Lets go back to the Travis Henry that the Bills had on the day of the 2003 draft when they drafted Willis McGahee.  In his rookie year (2001) Henry was handed the starting job before he ever played a down in the NFL.  The Bills cut former 1st round pick Antowain Smith to make room for Henry.  I don't recall Henry shedding any tears for Smith when he was cut to open the door for Henry.  Henry responded on the field by rushing for 739 yards in the 1st 13 games of the season.  He injured his knee and missed the last 3 games.  At some point in the season, Henry threw up the 1st red flag that he wasn't a Boy Scout.  He was arrested for having sex with an underaged girl who he met at a gas station.  Although he served no time, he was placed on probation and therefore was one crime away from being lost to the team.  Henry came back his sophomore year with a good season, if you excuse his double digit fumbling in 2002.  Then after the 2002 season, Henry came to the Bills asking for money because he had spent all his 2001 & 2002 earnings.  In spite of the legal troubles in 2001 and the fumbling in 2002, the Bills extended Henry's contract an extra year and bailed him out financially.  So when the 2003 draft comes around, Henry has shown poor judgement (that's putting it mildly) off the field and was a fumbler on the field.  So the Bills take Willis McGahee in the draft and Henry immediately cries that he's been "slapped in the face", even though it is obvious to most observers that Henry's starting job, at least for 2003, is in no danger. 

Now it's the 2003 season. The season starts and Henry is in a funk even though he's the starter and Willis McGahee is on the PUP list.  He starts the season's 1st 6 games rushing for a paltry 260 yards (2.71 yds per carry) in 5 games, missing game 4 with a rib injury.  He comes back and after fracturing a bone in his leg gains credit for being a warrior by not going to the sidelines.  He finishes the season with 1,356 yards rushing in spite of the leg fracture, earning praise from just about every Bills fan. 

Then 2004 arrives.  Even though Henry is the starter, his agent is already grumbling about the Bills treatment of him and promises to "f*** the Bills over" in a photo documented drunken rage while downing shots out of a bowling ball in the parking lot of Ralph Wilson Stadium (The documentation and photos were on a Bills Fan web site that is not this one).  After the Bills go 0-4 Henry is injured and Willis McGahee gets his first start as the Bills win their 1st game of the season.  Still, Henry is named the starter the following week in Baltimore.  After the Bills lose, to go to 1-5, McGahee replaces Henry as the starter.  Henry then gets hurt in the season's 11th game and never gets on the field again in 2004.  Rumors are that Henry is not going out of his way to hasten his return, since he is no longer the starter.

As soon as the 2004 season ends, the "good soldier" turns into "the mouth".  He and his agent are given permission to seek a trade, but the minute there is a delay, both Henry and his agent are running their mouths off to the nationals, playing the poor hurt soldier.

I have a recommendation to Henry and his agent.  JUST SHUT UP.  The Bills are trying to trade Henry and will likely get it done before the draft.  Henry is threatening to sit out if not traded.  Well, unless Henry has suddenly turned around his financial act since 2003, he probably can't afford to sit out.  How many average fans could afford to threaten to sit out rather than get paid a million and a quarter million dollars?  Henry and his agent have both shown poor judgement in their 4 years in Buffalo.  It's time for Henry and agent to let Tom Donahoe do the GM's work and wait until the trade is completed.

290392[/snapback]

Harvey, Bravo!!!!!!!!!

Although you left out some of the other things that make TH a bad football player, your overview was nothing short of splendid!

I wish that TD would simply pull the trigger and oust this useless miscreant.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harvey, Bravo!!!!!!!!!

Although you left out some of the other things that make TH a bad football player, your overview was nothing short of splendid!

290456[/snapback]

Thanks Bill.

I got a phone call in the middle of typing it & I kind of lost my roll, so I summed it up instead of putting everything bad about Travis into it. I saw the article at work and couldn't wait to respond, but because I was at work & I type at a snails pace, I had to wait until I got home-but I was thinking about it all afternoon.

Harvey, Bravo!!!!!!!!!

290456[/snapback]

I agree.

There were many here that wanted TD to not place the franchise tag on Peerless Price and let him go elsewhere in fear of having to pay him top 5 money. Well, we now have Willis McGahee to show the folley of the people who wanted to just let Price go.

I see the TH situation as very similar. There are many here who think we'll be lucky to get anything for Henry and to just swap players with Arizona. This is just fear and paranoia. The closer the draft comes the more Henry's value will rise. Henry is the ONLY bargain proven runningback available. Everyone knows that James' and Alexander's salary hits are through the roof. They also know how many 1st round runningback busts there've been in past NFL drafts.

I doubt very much we'll be getting nothing for Henry.

290345[/snapback]

I like it! The point that so many seem to miss is that Henry is a salary cap bargain and doesn't have the mileage on him that Edgerrin James has. Was it Abraham Lincoln or Mike Mayock who said that James looked worn out in the AFC Championship game last year?

Yeah, so you might be able to get Shaun Alexander for a second round pick(doubt it), but then you have to come up with the $10M+ signing bonus. That hurts. Reuben Droughns is no more a stud RB than Olandis Gary was and William Green is just a name(and the only trash that Mike "the bone collector" Shanahan won't gather, a dud running back).

LJ Shelton is a below average LT with a chronic ankle injury. Old Cardinals management signed Shelton to an extension, Dennis Green came in and was less impressed. Henry for Shelton is not a fair trade, and it's not so much because of how good Travis is, but just how ordinary Shelton is.

People have said $3M in cap space is cheap for a LT, but that's IF you see Shelton as a long term solution, which I don't. I do believe Shelton will get the door in Arizona, and contrary to that SI author I don't think his comments have hurt the Bills leverage in trade negotiations(because simple logic says Travis can't pass on a $1M+ payday). The author is also full of it when he says Travis realizes McGahee is a "better fit" for the Bills. Travis just realizes McGahee is the better player, period.

I'm not a Travis Henry hater, I just feel that he's not the brightest guy on the team, his agent is an idiot & he signed a contract that he is obligated to honor, whether he likes it or not.  Here's my response to a guy who probably has never seen Henry play and has no idea of any of his off the field troubles. 

The antidote to the SI Story:

Henry Should Keep Quiet and Let The Bills Deal Him On Their Own Terms

Travis Henry feels the Buffalo Bills have been dragging their feet in trading him to the Arizona Cardinals and he's mad as hell and not going to take it anymore.  My question to Travis Henry is: "Who appointed you GM of the Buffalo Bills, or even the Arizona Cardinals?"  These two teams are negotiating a trade that would involve Henry and Arizona tackle L.J. Shelton.  Both players have lost starting jobs and want a change of scenery.  While we who follow the Buffalo Bills are getting used to hearing Travis Henry's almost daily rant about how he'll never again don a Bills uniform, we don't hear much from Shelton, maybe because he understands that getting traded today or the day of the draft has very little effect on the upcomming season.

The national media (nationals) has leaned towards Henry's side, not comprehending how the Bills could treat this loyal player.  We here in Bills Country know a little bit more about Travis Henry.  I'll call it the Henry that the national Jack of All Trades, Masters of None reporters see versus the Buffalo side of Henry. 

The nationals start with the fact that the Bills took a gamble on Willis McGahee in the 2003 draft, after Travis Henry had rushed for 1,438 yards and 13 touchdowns in 2002 adding another touchdown catch for a total of 14 tds.  They say Henry took it like a man, came back to rush for 1,356 in 2003 and even played with a broken leg, when he could have sat out the last few games in a meaningless December.  They continue on the "good soldier" bit by citing Henry's lack of complaining after he lost his job to Willis McGahee early into the 2004 season.

We in Bills Country, who follow the team a lot closer than the nationals, have seen the many sides of Travis Henry, and he doesn't shine as brightly as portrayed by his latest supporter in SI.  We recall the Travis Henry who has exhibited poor judgement throughout his 4 years in the NFL.  Heck, if he had always exhibited sound judgement, he wouldn't even find himself in the fix he currently perceives himself to be in.  We remember that Travis Henry signed a 4 year contract after being selected by the Bills in round 2 of the 2001 NFL draft.  If you do the math, that would make Travis Henry a free agent after the 2004 season.  Unfortunately, Henry squandered his money and was flat broke after the 2002 season and agreed to extend his contract an extra year in order to get much needed cash in his pocket. 

Lets go back to the Travis Henry that the Bills had on the day of the 2003 draft when they drafted Willis McGahee.  In his rookie year (2001) Henry was handed the starting job before he ever played a down in the NFL.  The Bills cut former 1st round pick Antowain Smith to make room for Henry.  I don't recall Henry shedding any tears for Smith when he was cut to open the door for Henry.  Henry responded on the field by rushing for 739 yards in the 1st 13 games of the season.  He injured his knee and missed the last 3 games.  At some point in the season, Henry threw up the 1st red flag that he wasn't a Boy Scout.  He was arrested for having sex with an underaged girl who he met at a gas station.  Although he served no time, he was placed on probation and therefore was one crime away from being lost to the team.  Henry came back his sophomore year with a good season, if you excuse his double digit fumbling in 2002.  Then after the 2002 season, Henry came to the Bills asking for money because he had spent all his 2001 & 2002 earnings.  In spite of the legal troubles in 2001 and the fumbling in 2002, the Bills extended Henry's contract an extra year and bailed him out financially.  So when the 2003 draft comes around, Henry has shown poor judgement (that's putting it mildly) off the field and was a fumbler on the field.  So the Bills take Willis McGahee in the draft and Henry immediately cries that he's been "slapped in the face", even though it is obvious to most observers that Henry's starting job, at least for 2003, is in no danger. 

Now it's the 2003 season. The season starts and Henry is in a funk even though he's the starter and Willis McGahee is on the PUP list.  He starts the season's 1st 6 games rushing for a paltry 260 yards (2.71 yds per carry) in 5 games, missing game 4 with a rib injury.  He comes back and after fracturing a bone in his leg gains credit for being a warrior by not going to the sidelines.  He finishes the season with 1,356 yards rushing in spite of the leg fracture, earning praise from just about every Bills fan. 

Then 2004 arrives.  Even though Henry is the starter, his agent is already grumbling about the Bills treatment of him and promises to "f*** the Bills over" in a photo documented drunken rage while downing shots out of a bowling ball in the parking lot of Ralph Wilson Stadium (The documentation and photos were on a Bills Fan web site that is not this one).  After the Bills go 0-4 Henry is injured and Willis McGahee gets his first start as the Bills win their 1st game of the season.  Still, Henry is named the starter the following week in Baltimore.  After the Bills lose, to go to 1-5, McGahee replaces Henry as the starter.  Henry then gets hurt in the season's 11th game and never gets on the field again in 2004.  Rumors are that Henry is not going out of his way to hasten his return, since he is no longer the starter.

As soon as the 2004 season ends, the "good soldier" turns into "the mouth".  He and his agent are given permission to seek a trade, but the minute there is a delay, both Henry and his agent are running their mouths off to the nationals, playing the poor hurt soldier.

I have a recommendation to Henry and his agent.  JUST SHUT UP.  The Bills are trying to trade Henry and will likely get it done before the draft.  Henry is threatening to sit out if not traded.  Well, unless Henry has suddenly turned around his financial act since 2003, he probably can't afford to sit out.  How many average fans could afford to threaten to sit out rather than get paid a million and a quarter million dollars?  Henry and his agent have both shown poor judgement in their 4 years in Buffalo.  It's time for Henry and agent to let Tom Donahoe do the GM's work and wait until the trade is completed.

290392[/snapback]

great post. the only caveat i'd add is that this is the one chance that henry will ever have in his life to make big money, which he will get if he has a big year next year. if he were, say, to come back to the bills as a backup, he'd the free agent market the next season as a 27 year old 2 years removed from a good season. as we all know, running back years are like dog years - it's the shortest lived position in the league, and very few last even 6 years. this is his time to earn his big paycheck, and while i don't think he's very bright, i can see why he's frustrated to the point of lashing out. put yourself in his position. if he has half a brain, he cannot play on the bills next year under any circumstances. if the bills were to keep him, it'd be disastrous for him.

LJ Shelton is a below average LT with a chronic ankle injury.  Old Cardinals management signed Shelton to an extension, Dennis Green came in and was less impressed.  Henry for Shelton is not a fair trade, and it's not so much because of how good Travis is, but just how ordinary Shelton is.

People have said $3M in cap space is cheap for a LT, but that's IF you see Shelton as a long term solution, which I don't.  I do believe Shelton will get the door in Arizona, and contrary to that SI author I don't think his comments have hurt the Bills leverage in trade negotiations(because simple logic says Travis can't pass on a $1M+ payday).  The author is also full of it when he says Travis realizes McGahee is a "better fit" for the Bills.  Travis just realizes McGahee is the better player, period.

290482[/snapback]

From what I understand Shelton got the nickname "The Last Man Standing" when a bunch of the Cards either suffered season ending injuries or could not play through the pain of injury and Shelton kept on going, Further, he got the big contract because of his production prior to his FA year.

Both seem to be objective indicators that at some point not to long ago he was neither a less than average player nor subject to chronic injury.

Last year did see an injury which cost Shelton several ganes and he was replaced by Leonard Davis who commands one of the top 10 OL contracts in the leagur. Further, Shelton and Green clearly did not get along and this has also been suggested as a reason for the bad buzz he has been getting.

Based on all of this, if JMac and the Bills's doc say he is good to go, he certainly has the benefit of the doubt from me that he is a solution to our LT gap.

As far as cap room goes, he need not be a long-term commitment to make him a bargain at $3 million in base salary,

In his first year the Bills can pay him $3 million minud the NFL minimum as an upfront bonus and by prorating it over the life of the his contract reduce his cap hit to around the Henry level of $1.25 million.

If he sucks cut him and the Bills owe him nothing in terms of his base pay and the acceleration of the remaining bonus would be small (in NFL cap terms) and could be made even smaller by cutting him as a cap casualty after June 1, 2006. The only lose for the Bills in this scenario is having to cut the guy they traded for Henry instead of taking some other value they could get for him.

However, as long as the Bills docs judge his injury as not a chronic issue, I do not even see this happening. Shelton looks like a cheap deal as long as injury allows him to perform.

I like it!  The point that so many seem to miss is that Henry is a salary cap bargain and doesn't have the mileage on him that Edgerrin James has.  Was it Abraham Lincoln or Mike Mayock who said that James looked worn out in the AFC Championship game last year?

Yeah, so you might be able to get Shaun Alexander for a second round pick(doubt it), but then you have to come up with the $10M+ signing bonus.  That hurts.  Reuben Droughns is no more a stud RB than Olandis Gary was and William Green is just a name(and the only trash that Mike "the bone collector" Shanahan won't gather, a dud running back).

LJ Shelton is a below average LT with a chronic ankle injury.  Old Cardinals management signed Shelton to an extension, Dennis Green came in and was less impressed.  Henry for Shelton is not a fair trade, and it's not so much because of how good Travis is, but just how ordinary Shelton is.

People have said $3M in cap space is cheap for a LT, but that's IF you see Shelton as a long term solution, which I don't.  I do believe Shelton will get the door in Arizona, and contrary to that SI author I don't think his comments have hurt the Bills leverage in trade negotiations(because simple logic says Travis can't pass on a $1M+ payday).  The author is also full of it when he says Travis realizes McGahee is a "better fit" for the Bills.  Travis just realizes McGahee is the better player, period.

290482[/snapback]

Well...I'll give that last line a Amen...That much is for certain...

I've been of the mind all along that Jason Peters will be the Bills Starting LT (I just have a feeling the Bills Coaches love that Kid), Shelton or no Shelton...But I do think if Henry is gone anyway, and especially if TD can get the Cards to give up a Pick (I'd rather get an extra 4th, maybe even a 5th Round Pick instead of moving up in the 2nd), Shelton carries little risk...Maybe the Bills get a decent LG for half the Season in Shelton, maybe a lot more or a lot less...It's still a body where bodies are needed desperately...I certainly don't like the chronic ankle injury though...I did not realize the ankle was that serious...

I'd love to keep Travis as a Back-Up, or get a little more because I don't really think Shelton is the answer at LT. But pretty soon it's cut your losses time I imagine, and I'd like to see Travis Traded by Draft Day to avoid any further friction... :lol:

I like it!  The point that so many seem to miss is that Henry is a salary cap bargain and doesn't have the mileage on him that Edgerrin James has.  Was it Abraham Lincoln or Mike Mayock who said that James looked worn out in the AFC Championship game last year?

Yeah, so you might be able to get Shaun Alexander for a second round pick(doubt it), but then you have to come up with the $10M+ signing bonus.  That hurts.  Reuben Droughns is no more a stud RB than Olandis Gary was and William Green is just a name(and the only trash that Mike "the bone collector" Shanahan won't gather, a dud running back).

290482[/snapback]

Ouch. Your analysis of Shelton was painful, but I thank you.

I could not for the life of me figure out why TD would wait this long to make the trade. Below average with a chronic ankle injury?! Yikes!!!!!

If you are correct, I am wondering if Teague is the plan at LT. Maybe this was the plan all along?

Certainly, but if Badolbilz (and AKC), are correct, this would explain the delay wrt the Arizona trade.

A "below average LT with a chronic ankle injury" is not exactly what I wanted to hear.  :lol:

290598[/snapback]

Interesting. Ability ratings are subjective but I never read of a chronic injury problem with Shelton until now. Where was this information posted ?

Boy, then Leonard Davis, the former #2 overall pick in the Draft, must be FAR worse than Mike Williams. He could never beat Shelton out at Tackle, playing Guard the last several years with a monster OT salary.

This article is accurate.  Contrary to the popular belief on this board, Henry wasn't a locker room cancer when he was benched.

He was a great player for the Bills and hopefully will have the opportunity to land on his feet elsewhere.  Willis Mcgahee is simply beter, but that doesn't make swipes at TH justified.  If the Bills can treat Drew Bledsoe with so much class, why can't they do the same for Travis?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writ...ha.henry/1.html

290155[/snapback]

And look how that worked out!?! Drew has done nothing but bash the Bills since leaving! His ego is so large, he drones on and on to anyone who will listen that is was everyone else's fault that he couldn't succeed here. ie: the coaches, the line and the receivers... blah, blah, blah! I'll admit that I felt bad for the guy when he was released but now I wish the man would have beaten up first, then sent tarred and feathered to Dallas! I hate Bledsoe, he SUCKS!!! :lol:

And look how that worked out!?! Drew has done nothing but bash the Bills since leaving! His ego is so large, he drones on and on to anyone who will listen that is was everyone else's fault that he couldn't succeed here. ie: the coaches, the line and the receivers... blah, blah, blah! I'll admit that I felt bad for the guy when he was released but now I wish the man would have beaten up first, then sent tarred and feathered to Dallas! I hate Bledsoe, he SUCKS!!! :lol:

290608[/snapback]

Interesting post. You should start a new thread!

This article is accurate.  Contrary to the popular belief on this board, Henry wasn't a locker room cancer when he was benched.

He was a great player for the Bills and hopefully will have the opportunity to land on his feet elsewhere.  Willis Mcgahee is simply beter, but that doesn't make swipes at TH justified.  If the Bills can treat Drew Bledsoe with so much class, why can't they do the same for Travis?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writ...ha.henry/1.html

290155[/snapback]

Not sure if we know the article is actually accurate but my opinion of him went south when he ruled out playing late in the year.

Of course this new article and Donahoe speaking up saying Travis and his agent are full of sh-- is pretty funny also. Seems Travis and his agent are lying to force the trade but Donahoe says Arizona wants Travis + a pick or more for Shelton.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/BUF/8342286

Engelhard, who has the Bills' permission to discuss potential trades for his client with other teams, has said the Arizona Cardinals are prepared to send to Buffalo starting left tackle L.J. Shelton in a one-for-one deal. Donahoe denied that, saying the Cardinals want more, which is unacceptable for the Bills.

"Arizona understands our position and we understand theirs," Donahoe said. "So probably, unless somebody wants to blink, it's probably not going to get done."

So who do you believe an agent and his pet rock Travis or Donahoe?

Also it sounds like the deal is not going to happen. So Travis had either better suck it up and start playing nice with the Bills coaching staff and front office or he had better figure out how to say "Would you like ketchup with those fries".

Interesting. Ability ratings are subjective but I never read of a chronic injury problem with Shelton until now. Where was this information posted ?

Boy, then Leonard Davis, the former #2 overall pick in the Draft, must be FAR worse than Mike Williams. He could never beat Shelton out at Tackle, playing Guard the last several years with a monster OT salary.

290600[/snapback]

Shelton was credited with playing on a bad ankle for a couple seasons. He got his extension, had surgery on the ankle and showed up out of shape for camp. What's more relevant is that he's not that good. Shelton was considered an underachieving first rounder, but I don't think they drafted Davis to compete with him, rather to be the other tackle.

Shelton was credited with playing on a bad ankle for a couple seasons.  He got his extension, had surgery on the ankle and showed up out of shape for camp.  What's more relevant is that he's not that good.  Shelton was considered an underachieving first rounder, but I don't think they drafted Davis to compete with him, rather to be the other tackle.

291647[/snapback]

I hear ya!

Let's face it, you just have to wonder about a Player the Cards want to dump...Buyer beware I guess...

I think that's why I would much rather see the Bills get an extra Pick if they decide to take Shelton...I doubt the Trade would get anywhere without McNally's stamp, so obviously the Bills think Shelton is worth a look-see, ankle or no ankle...And I think the fact that Shelton can be cut without much Cap ramification takes the risk factor down a notch...

But I just can't see why you would Trade Henry in order to just move up 11 spots in the 2nd Round...I think you have to get another body by way of an extra 4th or even 5th...

But maybe it's just me... :P

From what I understand Shelton got the nickname "The Last Man Standing" when a bunch of the Cards either suffered season ending injuries or could not play through the pain of injury and Shelton kept on going,  Further, he got the big contract because of his production prior to his FA year.

Both seem to be objective indicators that at some point not to long ago he was neither a less than average player nor subject to chronic injury.

Last year did see an injury which cost Shelton several ganes and he was replaced by Leonard Davis who commands one of the top 10 OL contracts in the leagur. Further, Shelton and Green clearly did not get along and this has also been suggested as a reason for the bad buzz he has been getting.

Based on all of this, if JMac and the Bills's doc say he is good to go, he certainly has the benefit of the doubt from me that he is a solution to our LT gap.

As far as cap room goes, he need not be a long-term commitment to make him a bargain at $3 million in base salary,

In his first year the Bills can pay him $3 million minud the NFL minimum as an upfront bonus and by prorating it over the life of the his contract reduce his cap hit to around the Henry level of $1.25 million.

If he sucks cut him and the Bills owe him nothing in terms of his base pay and the acceleration of the remaining bonus would be small (in NFL cap terms) and could be made even smaller by cutting him as a cap casualty after June 1, 2006. The only lose for the Bills in this scenario is having to cut the guy they traded for Henry instead of taking some other value they could get for him.

However, as long as the Bills docs judge his injury as not a chronic issue, I do not even see this happening.  Shelton looks like a cheap deal as long as injury allows him to perform.

290501[/snapback]

Shelton got props for playing on the bad ankle, not because he was healthy.

As for him being a bargain at $3M, yes, if he was a good LT. He's not, which means they would probably be looking to replace him soon after he became a Bill. The next option is a move inside. I don't know if that would be good, but at $3M per year, at that point it HAS to be. Third option is cut him, in which case you have nothing to show for trading Henry except for the wasted snaps for other players.

I think it boils down to talking about trading for a player who is not that good to fill a position of uncertainty. The cost in terms of personnel and cap space isn't that significant but desperate moves seldom pay off and sometimes set you back. See the Drew Bledsoe acquisition. Maybe I'm wrong, but picking up guys like Jason Gildon and Eddie Robinson looked like good moves for much the same reason adding Shelton seems like a good move.

Shelton got props for playing on the bad ankle, not because he was healthy.

As for him being a bargain at $3M, yes, if he was a good LT.  He's not, which means they would probably be looking to replace him soon after he became a Bill.  The next option is a move inside.  I don't know if that would be good, but at $3M per year, at that point it HAS to be.  Third option is cut him, in which case you have nothing to show for trading Henry except for the wasted snaps for other players.

I think it boils down to talking about trading for a player who is not that good to fill a position of uncertainty. The cost in terms of personnel and cap space isn't that significant but desperate moves seldom pay off and sometimes set you back.  See the Drew Bledsoe acquisition.  Maybe I'm wrong, but picking up guys like Jason Gildon and Eddie Robinson looked like good moves for much the same reason adding Shelton seems like a good move.

291666[/snapback]

All good points...And further proof why TD wants more I imagine... :P