dr. z on quality of this year's draft

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writ.../z.ricky/2.html

Draft Notes

"Worst senior class in the 30 years I've been scouting," says one personnel man. "The juniors are a little better, but this is a draft without a super star." Which is why there are quite a few teams, including Miami, that want to trade down from the high spots, but very few that want to move up and pay the big money for an elite pick.

"Here's a new trick the college players and their agents are figuring out," says another personnel guy. "Work on a different skill for each of the showcase workouts. So, for instance, they might do a lot of heavy lifting before the Combine workout, but very little speed work. They'll go down as strong but slow. But then for, say, their pro day at their school, they'll lighten themselves and work on running, because that's all they'll be doing there, so they'll get their times down in the 40. It's gonna make a ton of money for them."

Hottest name right now is Georgia defensive end David Pollack. At least we think he's a DE. He weighs 276. Matt Millen of the Lions sees him as a strongside inside backer in a 3-4. Others see Pollack as a quick, John Randle-type interior rusher, or an outside rusher, or an outside LB. Maybe he'll count as two or three picks in the draft.

He may be right in terms of the apparent weak draft this year, but, luckily for us, there is good depth at center, guard, and running back. Other positions we could go after, like LB and TE, are pretty weak overall, but there is some talent there.

I agree...............it makes TD's move to get Losman last year look pretty smart. Losman, if he was in this draft, would be a top ten pick.

We got him a year early, lower in the draft and for less money then he would have cost in 2005. :lol:

Not to mention he has a year of experience under his belt (minus the time he missed due to his injury).

Mike

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writ.../z.ricky/2.html

Draft Notes

"Worst senior class in the 30 years I've been scouting," says one personnel man. "The juniors are a little better, but this is a draft without a super star." Which is why there are quite a few teams, including Miami, that want to trade down from the high spots, but very few that want to move up and pay the big money for an elite pick.

"Here's a new trick the college players and their agents are figuring out," says another personnel guy. "Work on a different skill for each of the showcase workouts. So, for instance, they might do a lot of heavy lifting before the Combine workout, but very little speed work. They'll go down as strong but slow. But then for, say, their pro day at their school, they'll lighten themselves and work on running, because that's all they'll be doing there, so they'll get their times down in the 40. It's gonna make a ton of money for them."

Hottest name right now is Georgia defensive end David Pollack. At least we think he's a DE. He weighs 276. Matt Millen of the Lions sees him as a strongside inside backer in a 3-4. Others see Pollack as a quick, John Randle-type interior rusher, or an outside rusher, or an outside LB. Maybe he'll count as two or three picks in the draft.

290078[/snapback]

I agree...............it makes TD's move to get Losman last year look pretty smart.  Losman, if he was in this draft, would be a top ten pick.

We got him a year early, lower in the draft and for less money then he would have cost in 2005.    :lol: 

Not to mention he has a year of experience under his belt (minus the time he missed due to his injury).

Mike

290168[/snapback]

Actually, would Losman be the #1 overall pick this year? I saw somewhere on the board that he would be graded higher than either of the top 2 QB's, and one of them will probably go #1 overall to SF. So, if Losman were still available, he might have been the #1 overall pick this year!

Actually, would Losman be the #1 overall pick this year?  I saw somewhere on the board that he would be graded higher than either of the top 2 QB's, and one of them will probably go #1 overall to SF.  So, if Losman were still available, he might have been the #1 overall pick this year!

290296[/snapback]

Other than in 04, Losman would be the top pick in any draft in the history of the NFL.

Actually, would Losman be the #1 overall pick this year?  I saw somewhere on the board that he would be graded higher than either of the top 2 QB's, and one of them will probably go #1 overall to SF.  So, if Losman were still available, he might have been the #1 overall pick this year!

290296[/snapback]

I don't know who had the grades for Losman, but I believe the one scouting service had him in the high 80's versus this years top 2 who are in the high 90's.

Well, what a great year then to not have a first rounder.

290172[/snapback]

It's a little frustrating from the fan perspective in that Buffalo is listed in only about half the mock drafts out there. It's much harder to get one's off=season football fix because overall there is less news, but in terms of the team, it is a great year not to have a first round pick.

It's a little frustrating from the fan perspective in that Buffalo is listed in only about half the mock drafts out there.  It's much harder to get one's off=season football fix because overall there is less news, but in terms of the team, it is a great year not to have a first round pick.

290349[/snapback]

This is a foregone conclusion. Who needs a draft pick after what JP has proven in 04? We will glide through the playoffs and march right into the superbowl. Why? Because of JP!

As a matter of fact, I am yawning, and will continue to do so until perhaps the day before the superbowl in 06.