OT-- New AHL team for Omaha

diver

I currently hold season tickets for Division 1 hockey with University of Omaha. I also have good seats. What level of play is AHL? Exciting? etc..? Should I give up my hockey tickets and start going to AHL games? They will be farm team to Calgary Flames.

Go Sabres!!

I currently hold season tickets for Division 1 hockey with University of Omaha.  I also have good seats.  What level of play is AHL?  Exciting?  etc..?  Should I give up my hockey tickets and start going to AHL games?  They will be farm team to Calgary Flames.

Go Sabres!!

289945[/snapback]

The AHL is great hockey for the price. You'll get to watch alot of the first round draft choices cut their teeth as well as some very talented veterans winding down their careers. There are top notch rivalries and plenty of fights.

Great stuff!

It's the equivilent of AAA baseball; the best talent not in the major leagues. The AHL is the testing ground for future NHL rules changes, such as wider center and offside lines, and a shootout if still tied at the end of 5 minute overtime.

That said, I don't know if I'd give up my UNO tickets. Omaha is in the CCHA with Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Lake Superior State and a few others. That's some pretty damn good collegiate hockey.

I grew up watching AHL hockey and love it, but I went to plenty of ECAC games in college and the level of play there is terrific (as well as the fan support). I can't wait til RIT goes Division I next year!

I currently hold season tickets for Division 1 hockey with University of Omaha.  I also have good seats.  What level of play is AHL?  Exciting?  etc..?  Should I give up my hockey tickets and start going to AHL games?  They will be farm team to Calgary Flames.

Go Sabres!!

289945[/snapback]

Definitely. AHL hockey is great!

That said, I don't know if I'd give up my UNO tickets.  Omaha is in the CCHA with Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Lake Superior State and a few others.  That's some pretty damn good collegiate hockey.

I grew up watching AHL hockey and love it, but I went to plenty of ECAC games in college and the level of play there is terrific (as well as the fan support).  I can't wait til RIT goes Division I next year!

290101[/snapback]

I agree, college hockey is great.

Go Sabres!!

289945[/snapback]

Next stop after the AHL is the NHL, so yeah, it's good hockey...best being played in the world right now. AHL ticket prices are between $10-$20. 40 game home season, figure season tix will be in the $400-$500 range.

PTR

Chalkie Gerzowski  Posted Today, 01:03 PM

Yes

You can watch Dion Phaaaneuf!

unsure.gif w00t.gif

probably wont be able to see phaneuf because he'll be playing for the flames when the NHL opens up. No stop off in the AHL

Go Sabres!!

289945[/snapback]

I think you will be treated to some great hockey although it might be lean the first year - the Flames currently only fill half of the Lowell Lock Monsters roster (shared with Carolina) so they will need to sign a few extra bodies.

the AHL is great, but i agree, i wouldnt give up season tix to college hockey for the AHL...

After 4 years of clarkson hockey, i'd take season tix to them in a heartbeat over tix to an AHL team...

They are hoping to name the team "Omaha Knights" I guess there is some tradition in this town. They use to have a team here in the 60s or 70s which Gordie Howe played.

Opionion seems divided over selling College seats for AHL seats. I followed AAA baseball and I hated when a player got hot and then we lose the to the big leagues. Yes its the nature of the game. College Hockey I guess is the same way. You only have the players for 4 years.

UNO plays in brand new aud while AHL will move to old Aud but seats are closer in old aud.