49ers-Chargers Deal

marck

I have read much on the board this morning regarding the potential Phillip Rivers to San Francisco deal..

The Chargers have decided that they want to invest in Drew Brees long-term and have the parameters of a new long-term contract layed out.

The deal would be Rivers to SF for the 1st pick that San Francisco has this year. With that pick, San Diego would select Michigan WR Braylon Edwards. It is their belief that Edwards has comparable talent along the lines of Terrell Owens without the baggage. This would provide San Diego the following offensive options:

Drew Brees - Locked into a new long-term deal

Ladanian Tomlinson - Locked into a long term contract last year

Antonio Gates - Will be receiving a new long term contract this offseason

Braylon Edward - Potential superstar at WR

These are 4 young players who will be around for at least another 5 years performing at peak levels.

The Chargers would also retain the 12th and 28th picks with which they would select an outside pass rush linebacker such as Shawn Merriman and then a Shaun Cody or Marcus Spears.

In addition, the Chargers are also rumored to be a player in the sweepstakes for Dolphin corner Patrick Surtain and this deal may go down on draft day.

The advantages for the 49ers are that they would get a potential franchise QB who has one year of experience, is higher rated then either Alex Smith or Aaron Rogers and would be able to save money on the contract as Rivers prorated signing bonus has been paid already by the Chargers. This is attractive to 49er owner John York who by all assessments wants to run the niners on a lower budget.

This deal also throws the upper part of the 1st round into chaos and here are the probable outcomes:

Miami - Ronnie Brown

Cleveland - Alex Smith

Chicago - Mike Williams

Tampa Bay - Cadallic Williams

Tennessee - Antrel Rolle

Minnesota - Cedric Benson

Arizona - Adam "Pac-Man" Jones

Washington - Troy Williamson

Detroit - Alex Barron

Dallas - Derrick Johnson

San Diego - Shawn Merriman

Houston - Dan Cody

Carolina - Travis Johnson

Kansas City - Carlos Rogers

New Orleans - Thomas Davis

Cincinnati - Heath Miller

Minnesota - Erasmus James

St. Louis - Khalif Barnes

Dallas - Brandon Bowner

Jacksonville - Mark Clayton

Baltimore - Jamal Brown

Seattle - David Pollack

Green Bay - Aaron Rogers

Denver - Brodney Poole

New York Jets - Justin Miller

Atlanta - Fred Gibson

San Diego - Marcus Spears

Indianapolis - Shawn Cody

Pittsburgh - Elton Brown

Philadelphia - Roddy White

New England - Barrett Rudd

Also with the Vikings moving to a power running game and defense, it may be possible that the Vikes may want to shed themselves of the excess they have at RB. In that case I would love to see the Bills offer a 4th round pick for Tulane RB Melwede Moore who played with JP and had an excellent block of games last year when Minnesota had injury problems. He runs hard, is an excellent pass catcher out of the backfield and would be a great replacement for Travis Henry. This would allow Shaud Williams to be the 3rd back and the "change-of-pace guy.

Questions and comments are always welcome.

Did he say how the Chargers were going to aborb the 12.5 million left from Rivers bonus that would immediately be on their cap, as well as the 40 million they would have to pay for Edwards and the 40 million they would have to pay to lock up Brees?

289824[/snapback]

Details, details......let the man dream. :doh:

I think Moore would be an excellent addition for the offense and watched him a lot last year. He would though, IMO, have to replace Shaud Williams. I don't think we need two smallish scatbacks who likely wouldnt be able to carry the whole load for a season if Willis went down.

First of all, the Brees salary cap hit would go down with a long-term contract. Salary cap rookie pool money has already been allocated for the 12th and 28th picks of the draft.

The Rivers cap hit is 9 million and not 12.5 million as you state.

This would leave the Chargers about 8.5 million on the cap which is more then enough to cover the 1st year of the contract of Braylon Edwards.

Got any other feedback?

Did he say how the Chargers were going to absorb the 12.5 million left from Rivers bonus that would immediately be on their cap, as well as the 40 million they would have to pay for Edwards and the 40 million they would have to pay to lock up Brees?

289824[/snapback]

First of all, the Brees salary cap hit would go down with a long-term contract.  Salary cap rookie pool money has already been allocated for the 12th and 28th picks of the draft.

The Rivers cap hit is 9 million and not 12.5 million as you state.

This would leave the Chargers about 8.5 million on the cap which is more then enough to cover the 1st year of the contract of Braylon Edwards.

Got any other feedback?

289841[/snapback]

He signed a six year deal for 40 million with a 14.5 signing bonus and played one year. That seems to me to be 2.6 per year on the bonus. Wouldn't the remaining 5 years count on their cap immediately? Perhaps I am wrong.

Yes, the cap money for this year would go down for Brees but I was really talking about the overall money that would have to be spent on Brees, who would suddenly hold all of the cards. And he has had precisely one good year. If I were a GM, I would not pay him a huge contract that he will demand, and they would have to without Rivers because otherwise they could be stuck with zero QBs instead of two.

Brees has stated he wants to finish his career in San Diego. He wants a long term contract and signing him would not be a problem.

The cap hit is only 9 million and this has been verified. Please remember the Chargers were 21 million under the cap and have released a couple of players including the mullet.

They have at the present time over 14 million in cap space. This is also taking into account monies allocated for the 12th and 28th picks. A new Brees contract would probably take up about 3 million, which would save over 5.5 million on his franchise tender offer. So here's what you have:

14 million - 9 million = 5 million, add 5.5 million = 10.5 million and out of this they have to pay the 1st pick in the draft. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

They also have Cleo Lemmon as back-up to Brees and then they will sign a back-up type to Brees.

They would regain the salary cap space in 2006 and would again have room to manuever.

I live out here and think this team is the new AFC power of the next 5 years. A.J. Smith has done a great job in cleaning up the mess that John Butler left with his stupid free agent sigings.

Please think about these facts as you prepare your response.

He signed a six year deal for 40 million with a 14.5 signing bonus and played one year. That seems to me to be 2.6 per year on the bonus. Wouldn't the remaining 5 years count on their cap immediately? Perhaps I am wrong.

Yes, the cap money for this year would go down for Brees but I was really talking about the overall money that would have to be spent on Brees, who would suddenly hold all of the cards. And he has had precisely one good year. If I were a GM, I would not pay him a huge contract that he will demand, and they would have to without Rivers because otherwise they could be stuck with zero QBs instead of two.

289854[/snapback]

Did he say how the Chargers were going to absorb the 12.5 million left from Rivers bonus that would immediately be on their cap, as well as the 40 million they would have to pay for Edwards and the 40 million they would have to pay to lock up Brees?

289824[/snapback]

Flutie left some pixy dust behind.

Brees has stated he wants to finish his career in San Diego.  He wants a long term contract and signing him would not be a problem.

The cap hit is only 9 million and this has been verified.  Please remember the Chargers were 21 million under the cap and have released a couple of players including the mullet.

They have at the present time over 14 million in cap space.  This is also taking into account monies allocated for the 12th and 28th picks.  A new Brees contract would probably take up about 3 million, which would save over 5.5 million on his franchise tender offer.  So here's what you have:

14 million - 9 million = 5 million, add 5.5 million = 10.5 million and out of this they have to pay the 1st pick in the draft.  Seems pretty reasonable to me.

They also have Cleo Lemmon as back-up to Brees and then they will sign a back-up type to Brees.

They would regain the salary cap space in 2006 and would again have room to manuever.

I live out here and think this team is the new AFC power of the next 5 years.  A.J. Smith has done a great job in cleaning up the mess that John Butler left with his stupid free agent sigings.

Please think about these facts as you prepare your response.

289870[/snapback]

After March 10th, when they had to and did pay him his extra 6+ million bonus, it made his non-paid bonus money between 12-13 million. I suppose it is possible that 9.8 million (which I have seen bandied about) would be owed immediately and the extra three million next year because he just got the 6 million this year and not last. Still, I wasnt really talking about being able to shoehorn these contracts in, I was talking about losing the money spent for zero return and having to spend way more without knowing what you're getting.

What Brees says publicly about wanting to stay with the Chargers and him actually signing with a friendly contract is mutually exclusive. I'm sure you know that. Look at Pat Williams. Especially if Brees knows that Rivers is gone. he is going to demand and get a huge contract. Furthermore, I am not totally sold on Brees duplicating last year's season. The Chargers may be but I doubt it. I have also read AJ Smith saying that trading Rivers is absurd.

I really don't know why I am even responding to a post that suggests Meadowlark Lemmon as a viable option as back-up QB to a team thinking they can go far in the playoffs. Who else would they sign now?

289824[/snapback]

I think Rivers bonus was broken down into two parts, one to be given last

year and another due this year. If the chargers trade him now, only the

1st bonus count towards thier cap...(Remeber we did the same with

Bledsoe).

I think Rivers bonus was broken down into two parts, one to be given last

year and another due this year.  If the chargers trade him now, only the

1st bonus count towards thier cap...(Remeber we did the same with

Bledsoe).

290042[/snapback]

It passed already, March 10th, and they paid it.

jarthur31 Posted Today, 03:26 PM

Why is a guy orgasming over some potential some other team might or might not have on a Bills message board?

Why not? This is NFL related news, even if it is only rumor. Besides not everything on this board is all about the Bills.

Also, I think we should find this interesting. Suppose this deal comes to fruition.

The Chargers are in the same conference as the Bills and we do play them this year. Think of how strong the Chargers could become over the years, if this deal happens.

Why not? This is NFL related news, even if it is only rumor. Besides not everything on this board is all about the Bills.

Also, I think we should find this interesting. Suppose this deal comes to fruition.

The Chargers are in the same conference as the Bills and we do play them this year. Think of how strong the Chargers could become over the years, if this deal happens.

290352[/snapback]

Agreed - these are very slow news times. Nothing wrong with kickin' around the odd rumor.

I have read much on the board this morning regarding the potential Phillip Rivers to San Francisco deal..

The Chargers have decided that they want to invest in Drew Brees long-term and have the parameters of a new long-term contract layed out. 

The deal would be Rivers to SF for the 1st pick that San Francisco has this year.  With that pick, San Diego would select Michigan WR Braylon Edwards.  It is their belief that Edwards has comparable talent along the lines of Terrell Owens without the baggage.  This would provide San Diego the following offensive options:

Drew Brees - Locked into a new long-term deal

Ladanian Tomlinson - Locked into a long term contract last year

Antonio Gates - Will be receiving a new long term contract this offseason

Braylon Edward - Potential superstar at WR

These are 4 young players who will be around for at least another 5 years performing at peak levels.

The Chargers would also retain the 12th and 28th picks with which they would select an outside pass rush linebacker such as Shawn Merriman and then a Shaun Cody or Marcus Spears.

In addition, the Chargers are also rumored to be a player in the sweepstakes for Dolphin corner Patrick Surtain and this deal may go down on draft day.

The advantages for the 49ers are that they would get a potential franchise QB who has one year of experience, is higher rated then either Alex Smith or Aaron Rogers and would be able to save money on the contract as Rivers prorated signing bonus has been paid already by the Chargers.  This is attractive to 49er owner John York who by all assessments wants to run the niners on a lower budget.

This deal also throws the upper part of the 1st round into chaos and here are the probable outcomes:

Miami - Ronnie Brown

Cleveland - Alex Smith

Chicago - Mike Williams

Tampa Bay - Cadallic Williams

Tennessee - Antrel Rolle

Minnesota - Cedric Benson

Arizona - Adam "Pac-Man" Jones

Washington - Troy Williamson

Detroit - Alex Barron

Dallas - Derrick Johnson

San Diego - Shawn Merriman

Houston - Dan Cody

Carolina - Travis Johnson

Kansas City - Carlos Rogers

New Orleans - Thomas Davis

Cincinnati - Heath Miller

Minnesota - Erasmus James

St. Louis - Khalif Barnes

Dallas - Brandon Bowner

Jacksonville - Mark Clayton

Baltimore - Jamal Brown

Seattle - David Pollack

Green Bay - Aaron Rogers

Denver - Brodney Poole

New York Jets - Justin Miller

Atlanta - Fred Gibson

San Diego - Marcus Spears

Indianapolis - Shawn Cody

Pittsburgh - Elton Brown

Philadelphia - Roddy White

New England - Barrett Rudd

Also with the Vikings moving to a power running game and defense, it may be possible that the Vikes may want to shed themselves of the excess they have at RB.  In that case I would love to see the Bills offer a 4th round pick for Tulane RB Melwede Moore who played with JP and had an excellent block of games last year when Minnesota had injury problems.  He runs hard, is an excellent pass catcher out of the backfield and would be a great replacement for Travis Henry.  This would allow Shaud Williams to be the 3rd back and the "change-of-pace guy.

Questions and comments are always welcome.

289813[/snapback]

Can't believe they would ansorb that cap hit but who knows....

And why exactly would San Francisco trade the #1 overall pick in which they could draft a potential franchise QB to a team for an unknown potential franchise QB?

Makes no sense on their end and I'm still not sold the Chargers can afford the hit taken if Rivers is traded PLUS locking up Gates PLUS having 3 first round draft picks PLUS locking up Brees long term.... Fuzzy math...fuzzy math.

And why exactly would San Francisco trade the #1 overall pick in which they could draft a potential franchise QB to a team for an unknown potential franchise QB

290681[/snapback]

Phillips graded out higher than any of the QBs in this years draft. Plus he has a year of being an NFL QB under his belt. Phillips is not an "unknown".