Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2018-19: Sabres picking 7th overall (6/21/19). Ralph Krueger hire as new head coach!

BillsFan4

Its a a shame the Sudbury was eliminated so quickly. They just ran into a great team. Sudbury is not even close to the Ottawa 67’s level. UPL dragged that entire Sunbury team to the playoffs. But there’s only so much a goaltender can do when facing such a stacked team like Ottawa.

I wonder if they will try and get him in one of the last couple Amerks regular seasons games (tomorrow and Sunday), or if they will just have him practice with the team.

I doubt he will see any regular time in the playoffs, unless maybe the goaltending completely craps the bed like last year. 

Most people seem seem to think that he won’t see any playing time this year. 

3 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

I think you can have a core of 4..Jack, Rasmus, Sam, Duchene/Point. I think Skinner is out of here...if he wanted to stay he would be signed by now. I get Stamkos did the same thing and re-signed...just something about the way this whole year went and Skinner not signing soon after the deadline when the 8 years could kick in. Hope I am wrong.

In terms of 4 key guys...Leafs are going to be paying 4 guys..Matthews, Tavares, Nylander, and Marner...Chicago did it with Kane, Toews, Seabrook and Keith..Penquins are Syd, Malkin, Kessel, Latang...seems to me it is a doable thing.

And in terms of the draft picks...just do not see them as valuable in the NHL if they are past the top 3-5 picks. Guys on GR made the point today Pens have had like 5 guys from the last 7drafts see the NHL...

I don't believe Skinner is out of the picture. The stumbling block right now is the length of term. In addition, why should Skinner sign now when he can scan the full market as a free agent? I'm confident he will sign. If not then you just move on and use that designated salary for another good player. That's how the system works for every team.  As far as Duchene if Panerin and the goalie leave to go to Florida as many people expect Columbus will be in a good position to sign Duchene. 

Where you and I veer off the road is that I'm not so desperate to mortgage the house for a top shelf player. I think there is still more to build on before I go all in with a bevy of maximum contracts that takes away our flexibility to maneuver. As an example Tampa will be in a tough cap spot very soon. I believe that we can get a good player or two from a trade deal with them to help us construct a second line and still give us options to address other needs. When the draft approaches or at the draft I expect Botterill to make some moves to bolster a thin roster. I'm not willing to prematurely act out of fear and desperation because there is still so much more to do. 

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

What's with all the talk about Boudreau?

He's not leaving Minnesota.

Fenton just confirmed that at a recent PC.

I have no idea if he is available. The rumor mill tossed his name out there I guess. I was just saying that he is a good coach and if he was available I hope the Sabres get him. I think the Wild would be dumb to let him go though.

20 hours ago, JohnC said:

I don't believe Skinner is out of the picture. The stumbling block right now is the length of term. In addition, why should Skinner sign now when he can scan the full market as a free agent? I'm confident he will sign. If not then you just move on and use that designated salary for another good player. That's how the system works for every team.  As far as Duchene if Panerin and the goalie leave to go to Florida as many people expect Columbus will be in a good position to sign Duchene. 

Where you and I veer off the road is that I'm not so desperate to mortgage the house for a top shelf player. I think there is still more to build on before I go all in with a bevy of maximum contracts that takes away our flexibility to maneuver. As an example Tampa will be in a tough cap spot very soon. I believe that we can get a good player or two from a trade deal with them to help us construct a second line and still give us options to address other needs. When the draft approaches or at the draft I expect Botterill to make some moves to bolster a thin roster. I'm not willing to prematurely act out of fear and desperation because there is still so much more to do. 

I agree that Skinner may want to return.  I didn't at first but then I walked outside and a unicorn was farting rainbow colored lollipops all over my front yard.

• Haha (+1) 2

@JohnC , you should follow this series on Diebytheblade on lower-priced FAs that could be a good fit for the Sabres. Chad is a really good advanced stat guy..he was really the first one breaking down how bad Housley was at player utilization.

Think most Sabre fans will enjoy this series..certainly going to highlight guys I am not aware of.

https://www.diebytheblade.com/2019/4/14/18309144/buffalo-sabres-jordan-weal-could-be-an-under-the-radar-signing-this-summer-free-agent

9 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

At 23, and having produced in two major pro leagues, Olofsson is ready. I look for him to be a fixture as a top 6 winger for the next 10 years. Can't teach his shot. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

I agree that Skinner may want to return.  I didn't at first but then I walked outside and a unicorn was farting rainbow colored lollipops all over my front yard.

If Skinner decides to sign elsewhere then so be it. He's a free agent and ultimately it's his decision. Just like Tavares moved on from NYI and probably Panerin and Boborosky (sic) will move on from Columbus player movements are part of the system. If Skinner's contract demands get too extreme it's not inconceivable that the GM decides to seek other player options with that designated money. It happens all the time.  

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If Skinner decides to sign elsewhere then so be it. He's a free agent and ultimately it's his decision. Just like Tavares moved on from NYI and probably Panerin and Boborosky (sic) will move on from Columbus player movements are part of the system. If Skinner's contract demands get too extreme it's not inconceivable that the GM decides to seek other player options with that designated money. It happens all the time.  

So be it?  You have been saying our lack of talent held the coach back but "so be it" describes your thoughts on one of the top talents vacating?

There is something wrong with the Sabres and it is hard to pinpoint.  We know it started with the worst GM in the history of sports, but where is it now?  Botterill certainly doesn't seem outwardly concerned about creating a winner but different people have different styles.  I'd say the jury is still out on him.  The first rounder for useless Montour was botched though.

Ryan O'Reilly aka drunken donut clearly has some motivation issues but they've been solved in  St. Louis.  Now Skinner is running too. I love Eichel as a player but maybe he isn't the best in the room. It's just a thought, not anything I'm sure about but most people from Boston are self centered me me me types and a lot of good players have bolted.  Also Murray literally got everything wrong except Eichel.  Maybe he let the top inmate run the asylum?

5 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

So be it?  You have been saying our lack of talent held the coach back but "so be it" describes your thoughts on one of the top talents vacating?

There is something wrong with the Sabres and it is hard to pinpoint.  We know it started with the worst GM in the history of sports, but where is it now?  Botterill certainly doesn't seem outwardly concerned about creating a winner but different people have different styles.  I'd say the jury is still out on him.  The first rounder for useless Montour was botched though.

Ryan O'Reilly aka drunken donut clearly has some motivation issues but they've been solved in  St. Louis.  Now Skinner is running too. I love Eichel as a player but maybe he isn't the best in the room. It's just a thought, not anything I'm sure about but most people from Boston are self centered me me me types and a lot of good players have bolted.  Also Murray literally got everything wrong except Eichel.  Maybe he let the top inmate run the asylum?

If you want me to defend Murray who set this franchise back with his disjointed maneuvers then you are way off the mark. Of course I want to sign Skinner. But if he and the GM can't come to a contract resolution that makes sense for both parties then you move on and pursue other options. That's how the system works. 

Your comment that Botterill doesn't seem outwardly concerned is ludicrous. Of course he is concerned and he has a self-interest in building a successful team i.e. his job. You more than anyone else was a scathing critic of ROR after his donut and drunken crash. The captain wanted out and the locker room was plagued with issues so it was not  so surprising that he was dealt. He is doing well in St. Louis because he went to a much better team. Did the GM get enough in return in that deal? He got what he could get, and we moved on.

Your assessment on Montour is off the wall. He is a good skating and puck moving second pairing caliber of defenseman. He was a good addition to a unit that needed talent.  I'll take that Guhle and first pick for him any day of the week. Guhle was expendable because Pilut moved ahead of him in the defenseman ranking. That was an excellent deal for us by any measure.

17 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If you want me to defend Murray who set this franchise back with his disjointed maneuvers then you are way off the mark. Of course I want to sign Skinner. But if he and the GM can't come to a contract resolution that makes sense for both parties then you move on and pursue other options. That's how the system works. 

Your comment that Botterill doesn't seem outwardly concerned is ludicrous. Of course he is concerned and he has a self-interest in building a successful team i.e. his job. You more than anyone else was a scathing critic of ROR after his donut and drunken crash. The captain wanted out and the locker room was plagued with issues so it was not  so surprising that he was dealt. He is doing well in St. Louis because he went to a much better team. Did the GM get enough in return in that deal? He got what he could get, and we moved on.

Your assessment on Montour is off the wall. He is a good skating and puck moving second pairing caliber of defenseman. He was a good addition to a unit that needed talent.  I'll take that Guhle and first pick for him any day of the week. Guhle was expendable because Pilut moved ahead of him in the defenseman ranking. That was an excellent deal for us by any measure.

Did we win even 5 games after Montour arrived?  He disappeared like many have done when they arrive here.

The word outwardly was key to my description of Botterill.  I am fine with his demeanor if he does his job.  So far he has not but in his defense he had/has a lot to dig out from.  

I don't despair over losing ROR because he is a guy who needs things handed to him.  It is more that so many guys have wanted out of our room.  If it was just him it would be one thing.  But it isn't.  Something is wrong in there.

14 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Did we win even 5 games after Montour arrived?  He disappeared like many have done when they arrive here.

The word outwardly was key to my description of Botterill.  I am fine with his demeanor if he does his job.  So far he has not but in his defense he had/has a lot to dig out from.  

I don't despair over losing ROR because he is a guy who needs things handed to him.  It is more that so many guys have wanted out of our room.  If it was just him it would be one thing.  But it isn't.  Something is wrong in there.

On a team full of suckitude, Montour is the last guy to point a finger at. His metrics since his arrival were near elite status for a defenseman. He’s an offensive force that drives play from the blue line. What this team needs are defenseman that can mix it up and clear the front of the net to pair with guys like Montour, Pilut, and Dahlin. 

8 hours ago, K-9 said:

On a team full of suckitude, Montour is the last guy to point a finger at. His metrics since his arrival were near elite status for a defenseman. He’s an offensive force that drives play from the blue line. What this team needs are defenseman that can mix it up and clear the front of the net to pair with guys like Montour, Pilut, and Dahlin. 

You can add Borgen to the defense corps next year. He is not flashy or has much offense to his game. He is a solid stay at home defenseman who will help to balance out that unit. I like him a lot. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 1

The last regular season Amerks game is on right now. UPL is in goal.

you can find the game if you check “hockey streams reddit”. 

Really impressed with thr way Chris Taylor has this team playing. 

The Amerks are resting just about all their regular players today and are still dominating the B sens (full lineup).

And The B sens are playing for their playoff lives! They are tied for a playoff spot right now. They NEED the win. 

Rochester held them to 4 shots on goal the entire 1st period. 

Edited by BillsFan4

24 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

The last regular season Amerks game is on right now. UPL is in goal.

you can find the game if you check “hockey streams reddit”. 

Really impressed with thr way Chris Taylor has this team playing. 

The Amerks are resting just about all their regular players today and are still dominating the B sens (full lineup).

And The B sens are playing for their playoff lives! They are tied for a playoff spot right now. They NEED the win. 

Rochester held them to 4 shots on goal the entire 1st period. 

Great to see 6K get a start in goal. He’s our future in goal. 

• Like (+1) 2

I was impressed with the intensity Rochester played with. They had nothing to play for. They have the #2 spot and home ice advantage locked up. Yet they looked like the more desperate team than the B Sens, who needed a win to secure a playoff spot. 

There were 6 new players in the Amerks lineup, 5 who were called up from the ECHL.

I believe At least a few were getting their first ever AHL game. So I’m sure they added some jump. But still impressive none the less. 

Kind of ironic. The Amerks struggled against Belleville all year.

guess all they needed to do was to sit the majority of their good players...   lol

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1