Sunday/Monday Firings: Patience rarely pays off, and can be very costly.

mannc

The old saying goes "Hindsight is 20/20."  It's easy to say any failed coach should have been fired earlier.  The thing is, it doesn't actually have to be true, because nobody knows what might have been.  Suppose Terry Pegula adopts a policy for his head coach and GM.  "Win your first year or you're done."  Now project out the next decade: How many winning seasons do you think the Bills might have.  My guess is not very many.  Just looking at the state of the Bills right now, I'm pretty encouraged.  No, they did not have a successful season, but they dropped their dead cap money from among the highest in the league to among the lowest.  They have one of the higher totals in cap room going into the offseason.  They likely have a starting QB, who, barring injury will be in that position for the next decade.  They got positive contributions from a whole bunch of rookies and second year players, and ther is a very strong vibe of optimism from the players as they close things out.  

I actually think that among the many coaches who were fired in Buffalo over the last 2 decades, a few of them might have turned things around and started winning if given a little more time.  I also believe that the lack of continuity is the greatest enemy of long term success.  So I guess you'd have to say I am in complete disagreement with the OP.

11 hours ago, Scorp83 said:

Heck no they didn't think he would be this good. They took him 7th overall & probably would have moved up higher to do it. Just because they took him high doesn't mean they knew he was good... look how many busts QB's went in the top 10 since 2000!

Their previous actions proved they had no clue what they were doing... Rex actually left this team with more talent then, than what we have now. We didn't have to rebuild... the team was good during Rex era... they just needed to get the defense right.

Nobody told McDermott to rip apart the offense... & not replace the talent. No yea... the only thing they can sale to you, was a "Rebuild"

It was the only thing you & most of the fanbase could except to cover up stupidity. 

But hey, I can already tell... McDermott can't do no wrong in your eyes... so continue to turn a blind eye to benching Tyrod for Peterman, Trading away Watkins, Passing on Mahomes (cause apparently, through their evaluation...that you seem to trust so much...he wasn't good enough to draft at 11th), Started Peterman again over Allen...might I add, & I'm not touching his decision making & clock management during games...

But hey... this is crazy to even speak of & this will probably be the 2nd dumbest thing you've read in a while.

Smh... ?????

Happy New Year's buddy. 

Go Bills...  prayfully this front office get it right & help this Kidd... cause man... he saved their butts.

Trading away Watkins was absolutely the right move.  About the only decisions you can fault them for are passing on Mahomes and Watson and then not having a better backup QB plan than Peterman.  But they were hamstrung by $70M in dead cap space this year, admittedly of their own doing as they tried to weed-out the bad actors, yet the team was still competitive despite having a raw rookie QB.  They've definitely earned another season, although I'd like to see Frazier, Crossman, Daboll and Castillo gone.

20 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

You didn't miss anything. When I was a wee lad and there was no internet, had to walk for miles just to get to the little school house with a wood fire, I had the utterly naive belief that fellow Bills' fans were hearty, intelligent, decent folk -- and lots of them are, but like the rest of the human race, there are plenty of dopes.

Reflecting upon what you have written above, the ‘letters to the Sports Editor’ in the Sunday Courier, and later the Buffalo News were about the only place you could see people expressing their opinions on sports matters, and probably very few were of the ‘lunatic fringe’ variety.  Editors made sure of that.   Nowadays, anyone with a keyboard can get on these bulletin boards and let fly with ‘hot takes’, which more often than not should probably be titled ‘uninformed speculation’.

• Like (+1) 1