Sunday/Monday Firings: Patience rarely pays off, and can be very costly.

mannc

The coaches who’ve been fired so far, or certainly will be tomorrow—Bowles, Koetter, and Joseph—all should have been fired last year, but were kept around in the interest of continuity.  As a result, those franchises wasted a year finding out what was already obvious to any sentient observer—that those guys were not good coaches.  Put the Browns in this category, too.  If they had fired Hue Jackson at the end of last season, as he so richly deserved, they probably would be preparing for a playoff game right now.

It seems clear that McDermott is going to survive Black Monday, but should he?  By giving him another season, are we wasting a year of Josh Allen’s cheap rookie contract?  Are we stunting his development by making him play for a coach who turtles any time he finds himself with a 14-point lead?  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Sad 3
  • Haha (+1) 3

Would a new coach blow things up again? possibly change the D to 3-4, trade some of the young  guys that don’t fit the scheme but have shown some promise  for pennies in the dollar like we have just been through?

I couldn’t go through that again in 2019..

• Like (+1) 7

Just now, LikeIGiveADarn said:

Wait. I'm confused. When did we start hating McDermott? Pretty sure like 4 weeks ago, he was still one of the better young coaches in the NFL. What happened?

He might be a good guy, a master motivator and have an eye for young defensive talent..

But he is not perfect.. He seems to favour a very conservative game plan...and  also struggles with some game day coaching decisions..,

I would bring him back in 2019 as I’m hoping he is still learning and Allen needs some stability after this years cluster..

Let’s see how they improve next year with the $90 mil and the draft picks... they had better or I suggest he will be in trouble for 2020..

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, mannc said:

The coaches who’ve been fired so far, or certainly will be tomorrow—Bowles, Koetter, and Joseph—all should have been fired last year, but were kept around in the interest of continuity.  As a result, those franchises wasted a year finding out what was already obvious to any sentient observer—that those guys were not good coaches.  Put the Browns in this category, too.  If they had fired Hue Jackson at the end of last season, as he so richly deserved, they probably would be preparing for a playoff game right now.

It seems clear that McDermott is going to survive Black Monday, but should he?  By giving him another season, are we wasting a year of Josh Allen’s cheap rookie contract?  Are we stunting his development by making him play for a coach who turtles any time he finds himself with a 14-point lead?  

McDermott has had 2 years.....one of which HE MADE THE PLAYOFFS

IS this a serious question?

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, LikeIGiveADarn said:

Wait. I'm confused. When did we start hating McDermott? Pretty sure like 4 weeks ago, he was still one of the better young coaches in the NFL. What happened?

Bill Cowher in the postgame show said McD should be considered for coach of the year considering the lack of talent on this team. It is problematic that Sean takes his foot off the petal (which is the opposite of what Belichick would do). He's gotta teach these guys to have a killer instinct. Hopefully that comes next year. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

He might be a good guy, a master motivator and have an eye for young defensive talent..

But he is not perfect.. He seems to favour a very conservative game plan...and  also struggles with some game day coaching decisions..,

I would bring him back in 2019 as I’m hoping he is still learning and Allen needs some stability after this years cluster..

Let’s see how they improve next year with the $90 mil and the draft picks... they had better or I suggest he will be in trouble for 2020..

Can you provide examples.   The problem with game day coaching decisions is that  if the play worked, then the coach is a genius;  if it does not, then he is a scapegoat.

1 hour ago, mannc said:

You are wasting our time here.

McDermott is going nowhere and is a great coach as he has proven to get his players to play hard even when the season has long been over. Plus the fact he changed how whole organization is run and you cant do that if you don't know what you are doing.

McDermott will be the best coach we have had so far.

• Like (+1) 7

Honestly it is only Buffalo fans who even think this is a serious question. It isn't just Bill Cowher, but people around the NFL in general who think he has done extremely well to coach an under talented team to the playoffs last year and eek 6 wins out of this roster this year. I have spoken before about the guy I know who was a position coach in the league for a few years who now lives over here in the UK. He texted me last night saying "6 wins with that lot! McDermott is a genius!"

While I agree he has gotten everything out of the rosters he has had here I tend to push back a little bit on those views because what the people from the outside maybe don't see is that this is McDermott's tear down. He is part of the reason the team is so under talented. I still think overall he has done a decent job and I think you have seen the last 4 or 5 weeks him getting a bit more aggressive in his situational decisions as his confidence in Josh Allen grows. 

The question is whether he is a good coach for bad players or whether he can turn a more talented roster into a serious contender. That is the test for 2019 and as Badol put it the other day.... ***** just got real for this regime. 

As for firing those 3 last year. I do feel for Todd Bowles a little. That Jets team last year should have won 1 or 2 games maximum. He did a really good job with it in 2017. This year I think they have been too inconsistent and there have been weeks they have not played with any fire. I understand the firing but I blame the GM in New York much more than I blame Todd Bowles. Three years in a row he has been presented with terrible rosters to coach. 

• Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, mannc said:

Blah blah blah blah.  It seems?  I knew at the beginning of the season even if we went 3-13 he wasnt going anywhere.  If you thought he was going to get fired then you and the other 5 guys that think this way were doomed to be disappointed and out of touch with reality.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

3 hours ago, mannc said:

I understand your point entirely, but it is too early to move on from McD right now.

I think the time for doing that may well be this time next year, but he and Beane are going to get another off-season to show they have a clue on offense and can put the wheels back on the wagon.

Allen has done just enough to get next year too, but the honeymoon for Beane, McD, and Allen ends with next season.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

You are wasting our time here.

McDermott is going nowhere and is a great coach as he has proven to get his players to play hard even when the season has long been over. Plus the fact he changed how whole organization is run and you cant do that if you don't know what you are doing.

McDermott will be the best coach we have had so far.

Strongly disagree.

McDermott has shown that he is a good defensive coordinator, which we knew before we hired him.

He has done little in the way of proving he is a good HC, and I predict next year will be his last in the position.

I do believe he scores high in "leadership" in that I think the troops get fired up for him and we haven't seen them lay too many eggs with him as coach.   He seems to be a good motivator, but its hard to judge things like that if you aren't in the room, and I'm not.

3 hours ago, LikeIGiveADarn said:

I think what happened is you weren't paying attention four weeks ago.

4 hours ago, LikeIGiveADarn said:

It was a bad year, only diehard fans and chronic complainers stick around.

McD gets 3-5 years provided he doesn’t resign or do something insane to get himself fired.

• Like (+1) 1

The original idea here does make a lot of sense.   I couldn’t stand a few years back when fans would repeat Russ Brandon’s BS corporate mantra of “we need continuity.”  It’s the biggest fallacy ever.  If you have the wrong coach in place, and keep him there for the sake of continuity, the only thing that continues are the unacceptable losing.

Jacksonville and maybe Miami are great examples of why a team should move on from a coach.

The part with McDermott is an absolute joke though.  

7 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

The original idea here does make a lot of sense.   I couldn’t stand a few years back when fans would repeat Russ Brandon’s BS corporate mantra of “we need continuity.”  It’s the biggest fallacy ever.  If you have the wrong coach in place, and keep him there for the sake of continuity, the only thing that continues are the unacceptable losing.

Jacksonville and maybe Miami are great examples of why a team should move on from a coach.

The part with McDermott is an absolute joke though.  

By continuity Brandon meant keeping his cushy and totally unaccountable plum job