More TH trade talk on ESPN website

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor...d=2021162&num=3

Having been seemingly dormant for weeks, discussions aimed at a swap of Buffalo Bills tailback Travis Henry and Arizona Cardinals offensive tackle L.J. Shelton were revived at the NFL owners meetings this week, and there is a decent shot the proposed trade will be consummated around draft time.

The final hurdle: In addition to getting Shelton, who would replace Jonas Jennings as the starting left tackle, Bills general manager Tom Donahoe also wants to switch spots in the second round. That would mean Buffalo would move to the No. 44 slot overall and Arizona would slide back to the No. 55 spot.

Cardinals coach Dennis Green has balked at that component of the trade but apparently still wants Henry to fill the hole he's got at tailback, so that he could then use his first-round choice in the draft (the No. 8 position) to grab a much-needed cornerback.

The speculation had been that Green was eyeing a running back with his first-round choice. Apparently, he feels he can get a young runner, such as J.J. Arrington of the University of California, in the second round.

The Bills, who don't have a first-round selection, having dealt it to Dallas last year in the trade that enabled them to choose quarterback J.P. Losman, want to improve their lot as much as possible in the second round.

Buffalo needs Shelton, or the Bills will probably have to move starting center Trey Teague to left tackle, a position he has not played since he left Denver following the 2001 season. With Losman as a first-year starter, the Bills want to maintain as much stability as they can on the offensive line.

Aquiring Shelton and drafting a top Guard on day one would be a good plan.

287924[/snapback]

Would be fine and dandy with me...moving up 10 spots in the 2nd round will definitely help our chances to land Baas, Brown or Johnson thats for sure.

Man, if the Bills found a way to draft David Baas, I would proudly crap my pants.

Kudos to the brainiac who suggested earlier this week that Buffalo and Arizona should swap second-round picks. Pretty damn good prognasticating right there.

Take a bow, whomever you were.

287928[/snapback]

Saaayyy...maybe the prognostication was TOO good? Quick! Do a search for that post! Whoever posted it is TOM DONAHOE!

We got you now, you ol' fox!

Kudos to the brainiac who suggested earlier this week that Buffalo and Arizona should swap second-round picks. Pretty damn good prognasticating right there.

Take a bow, whomever you were.

287928[/snapback]

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=20766&hl=

See link above. Not the exact scenario. I had us trading Henry and our 3rd round pick for Arizona's 2nd round pick (and possibly a later round pick to even things out). I did not have Shelton included in my trade scenario. In my scenario, we then have two picks in the 2nd round which we use to snag two offensive linemen. I have this scenario playing out if Baas is on the board when Arizona hits the clock in the 2nd round.

My sentiments at this point in time are as follows: Both teams are over the proverbial barrel. Arizona has openly stated that Shelton is not part of their starting o-line. Travis Henry has openly stated that he is unwilling to come back to Buffalo in a back-up role. Neither team has a trump card to play. As Bills fans, we can say "Travis is a former Pro Bowl running back, blah, blah, blah"....and Cardinals fans can say "LJ is a former starting left tackle, blah, blah, blah...". I am not sure that either team has an advantage and it may come down to a straight-up player for player swap with a 2006 conditional pick for both teams depending upon individual performances/achievements. I would be happy at this point in time with a straight up trade. We then have some flexibility in the draft to focus on other need positions (e.g., secondary) rather than having to concentrate so heavily on the offensive line.

FWIW, I'd think that Shelton, being treated like a pawn in a chess game, will be well-motivated for whatever club he ends up with.

287927[/snapback]

The other side of it is that Shelton, a guy who is apparently in SERIOUS need of mentorship, is already missing time in organization assuming he does eventually become a Bill. The conditioning going on right now includes time with your positons coach, and on balance I can see no positive in a guy with Shelton's reputation missing a single minute with McNally if he eventually ends up in our uni.

The reluctance to accept Shelton as a straight up deal might just as easily mean the team is concerned he might not even stick our 53 man roster as it signals our attempts to wrest the most value out of THenry.

The other side of it is that Shelton, a guy who is apparently in SERIOUS need of mentorship, is already missing time in organization assuming he does eventually become a Bill. The conditioning going on right now includes time with your positons coach, and on balance I can see no positive in a guy with Shelton's reputation missing a single minute with McNally if he eventually ends up in our uni.

I haven't really heard any negative talk about Shelton's character 'til the run-in with Green, who may be the knucklehead in this situation. In fact I seem to recall reading some positive things about his workethic/leadership, although these could have been media plants form a Cards org. looking to maximize his trade value.

Either way, I don't see it as a problem in March or April. It could be an issue if May or June rolled around and something still wasn't done, but right now I don't think it means a thing 'til well after the draft.

Cya

I haven't really heard any negative talk about Shelton's character 'til the run-in with Green, who may be the knucklehead in this situation. In fact I seem to recall reading some positive things about him, although these could have been media plants form a Cards org. looking to maximize his trade value.

Either way, I don't see it as a problem in March or April. It could be an issue if May or June rolled around and something still wasn't done, but right now it don't mean a thing 'til well after the draft.

Cya

288306[/snapback]

No there is enough write-ups on Shelton before the current off season that shows Sheltons a good guy. Green is being a jerk in the situation, and I don't blame Shelton for getting out.