More TH trade talk on ESPN website

Guest BackInDaDay
No there is enough write-ups on Shelton before the current off season that shows Sheltons a good guy.  Green is being a jerk in the situation, and I don't blame Shelton for getting out.

288308[/snapback]

Bullseye on Shelton being a gamer, but I'm not so sure about Green's role in all of this.

If you remember "Fear and Loathing in Arizona" post on Shelton, you'll recall that the Cardinals invested the 2nd overall pick of the '01 draft in Texas LT Leonard Davis. Davis wasn't able to take the LT job from Shelton. He bounced around their OL, filling in for RT Clement and getting reps at G. All, while making close to 7M a season. Green inherited this situation, and I think the Cardinal ownership decided they had to get their investment on the field, preferably in the position they drafted him for. The "Shelton reported to camp overweight and out of shape" was the rationale coach Green used to explain Shelton's demotion to the local media. I think he was placed in a crappy situation, probably not of his choosing.

As my original post tried to convey, this 'soap-opera' of a possible trade has many heros and villains.

Bullseye on Shelton being a gamer, but I'm not so sure about Green's role in all of this.

If you remember "Fear and Loathing in Arizona" post on Shelton, you'll recall that the Cardinals invested the 2nd overall pick of the '01 draft in Texas LT Leonard Davis. Davis wasn't able to take the LT job from Shelton. He bounced around their OL, filling in for RT Clement and getting reps at G.  All, while making close to 7M a season.  Green inherited this situation, and I think the Cardinal ownership decided they had to get their investment on the field, preferably in the position they drafted him for.  The "Shelton reported to camp overweight and out of shape" was the rationale coach Green used to explain Shelton's demotion to the local media. I think he was placed in a crappy situation, probably not of his choosing.

As my original post tried to convey, this 'soap-opera' of a possible trade has many heros and villains.

288324[/snapback]

IIRC he reported out of shape because he had cracked an ankle or something and his rehab pushed his conditioning program back. I think your analysis is right on.

Shelton should be a Bill by Training Camp. But just as TD isn't doing AZ any favors by insisting on a Round 2 switcheroo, AZ isn't doing The Bills any favors by getting the deal done quickly and letting Shelton get in the groove with his new teammates.

A running back improvises a lot on nearly every play, so it's less important for him to get the playbook etc., etc. The coordinated ballet of the hippos that is Offensive Line play in the NFL requires a bit more orchestration by a group of 5 or 6 (if you include the TE in the dance). I'd feel better on those grounds if the deal got done. But it is what it is.

JMHO

I think offseason mental work by the o-line is overrated. It's not rocket science, you just have to learn some terminology. As long as Shelton is here for training camp he'll work out fine. If you can have an undrafted free agent start at left guard and do a serviceable job I'm not worried about an experienced left tackle missing nothing important.

RTB

I think offseason mental work by the o-line is overrated. It's not rocket science, you just have to learn some terminology. As long as Shelton is here for training camp he'll work out fine. If you can have an undrafted free agent start at left guard and do a serviceable job I'm not worried about an experienced left tackle missing nothing important.

RTB

288390[/snapback]

Probably right. That's also probably why TD's not in a teriffic hurry to get it done.

And of course, we have a secret weapon - Anne Sheridan, err Jim McNally - our very own COOL Mushroom Society Member An Old Story, but what the Hell, it's a slow news day...

Per the Insider....Nothing really new but....

Mar. 26 - The Cardinals have emerged as the favorite to land disgruntled Bills' running back Travis Henry, the East Valley Tribune reports. Henry said this week it is the Bills who are holding up a straight-up swap between Henry and Cardinals tackle L.J. Shelton. Henry insisted he will never play for Buffalo again, which has taken any leverage the Bills might have had in trade talks.