Best Christmas Present You Ever Received as a Kid?

NoHuddleKelly12

Looking back to the early 60s, Texaco gas stations sold a very detailed model of a service station, complete with miniature service islands, small oil cans, working lifts in the bays.  Texaco also one year offered a Texaco tanker, it had to be a good 18” long.  I seem to remember a working propeller, powered by a D cell battery.

I also remember receiving a hand cranked ten pin bowling game in a fairly accurate scale.  You placed a small ball in the bowler’s hand, pivoted him on his anchor to aim, and turned a lever to cause him to roll the ball.  Even more amazing was the pinsetter had its own lever; when turning it the machine cycled through its sequence of settling pins, then sweeping after the first ball, resetting for the second ball, then final sweep and reracking for a new frame.

Rather than starting a new thread, I’ll tack on the most ‘cost effective’ gift I’ve seen as a stocking stuffer.  I was pleased to see after I missed out last year, a local chapter of a service club runs a cash calendar.  For $20, you get 365 days of draws, where the smallest prize is never less than $25.  If you win, your ticket goes right back in the drum for the next day.  That’s 5.4 cents per day for a lottery ticket.  Both my son and son-in-law received one as part of their gift.  Then I bought one for myself.

• Like (+1) 1