MMQB: Bills and Jags headed in opposite directions

YoloinOhio

BILLS-JAGS: TWO TEAMS GOING IN OPPOSITE DIRECTIONS

So Buffalo is one team that’s not going to the AFC playoffs. But any team that’s played them will tell you that Sean McDermott’s got that group fighting its ass off. And this week they were given a cause: to defend their starting quarterback.

You’ll see in the Tweet of the Week the specific shot that Jalen Ramsey took at the Buffalo rookie in the spring after he was drafted. Rest assured, Allen’s teammates saw it, and it resonated with them, which is part of why Sunday’s date with the Jaguars got chippy to a point where, late in the game, Jags running back Leonard Fournette and Bills defensive end Shaq Lawson squared up like boxers, and took their scuffle all the way up the tunnel.

“I don’t think anyone wants some of the extracurricular stuff we had, especially when it breaks out into a skirmish like it did,” McDermott said over the phone on Sunday. “But when you’re trying to build a team, and some things are said about your young quarterback before the young man even steps on the field, it says something about this team, and the people, that they’re gonna come to his defense.”

The good news is that Buffalo found a way to channel that energy correctly during the game, controlling the action most of the way, building a 14-0 lead, then getting out in front 24-14 in the second half before hanging on for the 24-21 win.

That puts Buffalo at 4-7, which is modest until you consider the circumstances of 2018. This, as we’ve detailed in this space before, is the year the Bills take the bullet for the mistakes of previous regimes. There are just five Buffalo draft picks still around that predate McDermott’s arrival. The Bills are carrying more than $50 million in dead money, meaning nearly a third of the cap is taken up by guys not on the team.

They expected to struggle. But the effort’s been consistent, in part because of the cultural foundation the Bills laid last year in making the playoffs in McDermott’s first season, and in part because of the types of guys they’ve focused on bringing in.

“It’s human capital—it’s people,” McDermott says. “People willing to work through these types of moments, that can build strength. You look back to my early days in Philly, early days in Carolina—we learned from the bumps as we grew, and those things make you stronger in years to come. You’ll have those to fall back on in years to come. Some teams would go south, and that’s what I’m most proud of now.

“This is a resilient group, and it’s only going to get stronger And the cool part is, these guys are the ones that are going to teach next year’s crop.”

Wins haven’t been easy to come by, of course. But consider that the Bills are getting through the hard part now, and in the standings just passed a Jaguars team that knocked them out of the playoffs last January. Those same Jaguars, by the way, were all in for 2018.

And as a result, it seems pretty clear who’s in a healthier spot going forward.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Yolo, I would prefer 9-7 and going out on a winning season in Kyle's likely last year, even if we don't make the playoffs.

However, if we go 8-8, I would love thinking in the off season that this team was 7-4 with Allen as the starter.

I think free agents would like it, too.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Yolo, I would prefer 9-7 and going out on a winning season in Kyle's last year, even if we don't make the playoffs.

However, if we go 8-8, I would love thinking in the off season that this team was 7-4 with Allen as the starter.

I think free agents would like it, too.

Great point about free agents. You don't want to look like a dumpster fire then try to sign blue chippers.

Personally I don't expect McBeane to go after the marquee names. Likely will see more under-the-radar types.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

Great point about free agents. You don't want to look like a dumpster fire then try to sign blue chippers.

Personally I don't expect McBeane to go after the marquee names. Likely will see more under-the-radar types.

Promo I am fine with that.  I also would like them to use this money wisely, which I believe they will.

It would not surprise me if they went into 2020 with 40 million in cap space.

Cheer loudly so we can hear you all the way from Detroit at the MAC Championship!

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, dollars 2 donuts said:

Promo I am fine with that.  I also would like them to use this money wisely, which I believe they will.

It would not surprise me if they went into 2020 with 40 million in cap space.

Cheer loudly so we can hear you all the way from Detroit at the MAC Championship!

I'm on vacation in the Bahamas but will get back in time for Detroit. Of course I run into an NIU fan here, lol.

• Haha (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I think they will go after and overpay one premier FA on the offensive side and the rest will be value signs.

• Like (+1) 2