Kaizen

Dadonkadonk

13 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I have used those exact words "Kaizen is common sense".  I posted earlier about US business doing a top down philosophy which is your expert consultant way.

That way almost never works properly.

A simple football example would be for a Offensive Lineman who NEVER gets a false start penalty to explain his technique to the rest of the offensive line

AND the coaches.  That technique can result in less false starts for the OL and the coaches have another tool to train new players.

The principal is suppose to be that the management (coaches) don't have all the answers and need the workers (players) assistance in improving the team.

Common sense like you stated, which seems to be a lost art.

It goes way beyond common sense.  A Lean Six Sigma approach involves mapping and MEASURING your process, and implementing a control plan.  Your "common sense" approach has you trying to fix anything and everything because it is a "pain point".  Data driven decision making is the difference between a process improvement approach and common sense.   The Bills approach is aimed at fixing those things that effect their key performance indicators.  That is why their approach is more efficient.  Plus it has to be because GM and Coaches opportunities are brief.

6 hours ago, bmur66 said:

Six Sigma blah blah blah

People aspire to be part of something bigger

Lead with your heart. The heart is where the passion is. It is where you connect to peoples minds and when you can do that you are able to lead them to their higher level needs.

Lead with empathy and understanding of common needs.

Explain what and why. The people will tell you how.

This will bring fulfillment and happiness into their lives

Happy people are better at their work which in turn makes the organization better.

All of which are part of Lean Six Sigma facilitation and change management :-) 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, buffalostu2 said:

It goes way beyond common sense.  A Lean Six Sigma approach involves mapping and MEASURING your process, and implementing a control plan.  Your "common sense" approach has you trying to fix anything and everything because it is a "pain point".  Data driven decision making is the difference between a process improvement approach and common sense.   The Bills approach is aimed at fixing those things that effect their key performance indicators.  That is why their approach is more efficient.  Plus it has to be because GM and Coaches opportunities are brief.

All of which are part of Lean Six Sigma facilitation and change management :-) 

This whole thread and discussion is about Kaizen (continuous improvement) because KW brought it up in a locker room interview.

Implementing some Kaizen based ideas can be accomplished on it's own.

I have no knowledge whether or not OBD has implemented a Six Sigma program.

I will stick with my point about most "incremental" improvements are based in common sense.

I have almost 40 years experience in R&D, and just down the hall there is a manufacturing area. I’ve heard a TON of buzzwords, and at this point I’m pretty jaded. Lean Six Sigma, Kaizan, Agile, Black Belts, Taguchi, Analytics, Process, a myriad of Configuration Management tools, etc.  Fortunately for me, R&D is subjected to this stuff less than manufacturing. 

My take on most of this stuff is that the most important commodity is TRUST.  If you trust each other, trust that your coworkers are taking things seriously, trust that your coworkers have the talents required, trust in management to support your efforts and decisions, etc., then you are more likely to succeed. Lose that trust, and things crumble. 

I think on a team, earning, establishing, and relying on the TRUST in your teammates is huge. Call it whatever you want. 

• Like (+1) 1