Moulds and the HOF

His career to date has been up and down. He's seemingly had amazing seasons one season followed by mediocre ones the next (usually due to either injury or serious offensive problems with the coaches/QB at control).

So what do you think will be the minimum stats or team accomplishments (playoff victories, etc...) for him to qualify for the HOF by the time he retires?

It would take 4 seasons in a row (starting this year) of 1300-1400+ yards and 10+ TDs and 80+ catches.

It sucks that the guy has had to work with the bottom of the barrel in terms of QBs during his career, but they won't take that into consideration when voting into the hall. He needs to start putting up huge numbers every year.

Hmm, well at least he'll be a shoe-in for the Bills Wall of Fame. You all are right in the fact that WR HOF'ers are now going to be held to some pretty absurd statistical standards.

What current WR's you think will be HOF material? Aside from Jerry Rice and probably Tim Brown, I think Marvin Harrison and Randy Moss will make the HOF by career's end.

Hmm, well at least he'll be a shoe-in for the Bills Wall of Fame. You all are right in the fact that WR HOF'ers are now going to be held to some pretty absurd statistical standards.

What current WR's you think will be HOF material? Aside from Jerry Rice and probably Tim Brown, I think Marvin Harrison and Randy Moss will make the HOF by career's end.

21361[/snapback]

Think about it folks, Art Monk has been passed over 3 times now. Art has SB rings, and is top 5 on a lot of the WR records lists.

Think about it folks, Art Monk has been passed over 3 times now.  Art has SB rings, and is top 5 on a lot of the WR records lists.

21362[/snapback]

True, but Monk was NEVER a dominate receiver, he just had longevity on his side...that does count for something, but I want to see dominating players in the Hall, not guys who were just productive for long periods of time.

True, but Monk was NEVER a dominate receiver, he just had longevity on his side...that does count for something, but I want to see dominating players in the Hall, not guys who were just productive for long periods of time.

21370[/snapback]

He made it to the Pro Bowl 3 times, was rookie of the year, and had 100+ catches in 1984 (I think), long before anyone else sniffed the mark. He had 80+ catches sveral times, and while he probably should have quit a few years earlier he had the most catches record in 12 years or so.

Monk was a great receiver, and dominated sveral years. Again he also has 2 Super Bowl rings.

Going to be tough - and it'll only get tougher, as guys like Jerry Rice and Marvin Harrison keep raising the bar for all modern-era WRs to get in. If you don't have good numbers combined with a Super Bowl ring or four - IMHO, Lynn Swann doesn't make it without the Super Bowl X MVP award AND the national TV gig - then your stats have to be un-friggin'-believable.

The last five WRs to be elected to the Hall:

*James Lofton, Class of 2003 (10 years after retirement)

16 seasons; 764 catches-14,004 yds-75 TDs; 8 Pro Bowls

*John Stallworth, Class of 2002 (15 yrs. after retirement)

14 seasons; 537 catches-8,723 yds-63 TDs; 4 Pro Bowls; 4 SB rings

*Lynn Swann, Class of 2001 (19 yrs. after retirement)

8 seasons; 336 catches-5,462 yds-51 TDs; 3 Pro Bowls; 4 SB rings, 1 SB MVP

*Charlie Joiner, Class of 1996 (10 yrs. after retirement)

18 seasons; 750 catches-12,146 yds-65 TDs; 3 Pro Bowls

*Steve Largent, Class of 1995 (6 yrs. after retirement)

14 seasons; 819 catches-13,089 yds-100 TDs; 7 Pro Bowls. Largent was also the career catches-yardage-TD record holder when he retired.

That's it for the last fifteen years. Before them, you have to go back to 1988 to find the last WR elected, Fred Biletnikoff.

IMHO, Andre Reed is going to wait a while to get into the Hall (although I think he'll eventually make it). And right now, Eric has a ways to go to even catch 'Dre....

Reed: 941 catches-13.095 yds-86 TDs; 7 Pro Bowls; 4 AFC Championships

Moulds: 506 catches-7,237 yds-39 TDs; 3 Pro Bowls

The competition (* = still active):

*Jerry Rice - 1519 catches-22,466 yds-194 TDs; 13 Pro Bowls; 4 SB rings; SB XXIII MVP

Cris Carter - 1101 catches-13,899 yds-130 TDs; 8 Pro Bowls

*Tim Brown - 1070 catches-14,734 yds-99 TDs; 9 Pro Bowls

Art Monk - 940 catches-12,721 yds-68 TDs; 3 Pro Bowls; 3 SB rings

*Marvin Harrison - 759 catches-10,072 yds-83 TDs; 5 Pro Bowls

Michael Irvin - 750 catches-11,904 yds-65 TDs; 5 Pro Bowls; 3 SB rings

*Terrell Owens - 592 catches-8,572 yds-81 TDs; 4 Pro Bowls

*Randy Moss - 525 catches-8,375 yds-77 TDs; 5 Pro Bowls

Long story short: by the time he becomes eligible, if EM hasn't doubled his current numbers and/or added a ring or two, he'll be a borderline candidate at best. Just my opinion.......

21361[/snapback]

Totally agree on that one.

Moulds needs a few more really great years and, probably more than anything, playoffs stats and exposure.

IMHO, Andre Reed is going to wait a while to get into the Hall (although I believe he'll eventually make it). And right now, Eric has a ways to go to even catch 'Dre....

Reed: 941 catches-13.095 yds-86 TDs; 7 Pro Bowls; 4 AFC Championships

Moulds: 506 catches-7,237 yds-39 TDs; 3 Pro Bowls

21376[/snapback]

There it is... right now, Moulds has had about half the career that Andre had...

Don't know how many more years he'll play, but he's not HOF material.

hes only had 3 1000+yard seasons. yeah they were over 1300 yard seasons but 3 years is not HOF material. (i know 996 yards is close to 1000, but its still not 1000 yards). he would have to play 5 more years and get 1300 yards each year to get to the HOF.

i feel 7 years at 1300+ yards is HOF. moulds is only at 3.