Demaryius Thomas: Hypothetical

BuffaloButt

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Has he got a year of his rookie deal left then I presume? I'd throw a 6th at Shepard -  he is strictly a slot for me but I think he could be a top end slot. Wouldn't be surprised if the evil empire were interested. Can see him in that scheme.

Yes, he's signed thru 2019. He was a 2nd Round draft pick in 2016.

Sign Pryor, trade KB, trade for Thomas and then draft N'Keal Harry #1 who is a ridiculous talent. Have Thomas, Harry, Pryor and Zay would at least stabilize the WR corps, perhaps make it a strength, with Harry a future possible star and we would have had basically only spent a #1 choice on the overhaul.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

The receiver room is so bare though. They need a good vet. And we would not be on the hook for $17m. The Broncos are on the hook for $3m of that whether he is there or not cos it is money already paid. His hit to us would be $14m and I think you could get that down in exchange for giving him some guaranteed upfront and an extra year. 

We don't need a good vet. We just need better players who we can build around on offense for the next several seasons.

A one year rental with a $14 mil price tag is less valuable for this franchise and where we are in the rebuild than the 2nd or 3rd round pick it will take to get him. 

As I said, stop trading away draft picks on players nearing the end of their career. That's not a winning strategy in the NFL. 

Just now, jrober38 said:

We don't need a good vet. We just need better players who we can build around on offense for the next several seasons.

A one year rental with a $14 mil price tag is less valuable for this franchise and where we are in the rebuild than the 2nd or 3rd round pick it will take to get him. 

As I said, stop trading away draft picks on players nearing the end of their career. That's not a winning strategy in the NFL. 

Oh I am not for paying a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him. If that's the price I wouldn't do it. I suspect a 4th and a late rounder might be enough. And I disagree on the vet. I do think we need someone on the field who is not a 1st or 2nd year guy. I can't think of a single offense in the NFL that is productive without any experience at WR. You just need someone so that if you take a guy in the 2nd next year for example the pressure isn't on him to come in and be "the guy" straight away in year one when he will be playing with a QB with likely less than 10 starts, and a totally rebuilt offensive line.

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Oh I am not for paying a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him. If that's the price I wouldn't do it. I suspect a 4th and a late rounder might be enough. And I disagree on the vet. I do think we need someone on the field who is not a 1st or 2nd year guy. I can't think of a single offense in the NFL that is productive without any experience at WR. You just need someone so that if you take a guy in the 2nd next year for example the pressure isn't on him to come in and be "the guy" straight away in year one when he will be playing with a QB with likely less than 10 starts, and a totally rebuilt offensive line.

I just don't think Thomas is the guy who we need. Josh Allen desperately needs a deep threat who can take the top off a coverage. 

If you're trading a pick for a veteran WR, trade a pick for Desean Jackson. The guy is still an elite deep threat who would create space underneath for other pass catchers. I think he's a better fit with Allen. 

I'm not into trading picks away for players at this point, but that's the guy I'd go after if he's available. 

Edited by jrober38
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, jrober38 said:

I just don't think Thomas is the guy who we need. Josh Allen desperately needs a deep threat who can take the top off a coverage. 

If you're trading a pick for a veteran WR, trade a pick for Desean Jackson. The guy is still an elite deep threat who would create space underneath for other pass catchers. I think he's a better fit with Allen. 

See I go completely the opposite way. I think you need someone who is savvy and can run routes not just a guy who blazes past people. Desean is a year older and totally speed reliant. If he loses a step he is basically useless.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

See I go completely the opposite way. I think you need someone who is savvy and can run routes not just a guy who blazes past people. Desean is a year older and totally speed reliant. If he loses a step he is basically useless.

He's 31 years old and he still blows past CBs on a regular basis. You're renting the guy for 1 year. Hard to imagine him going from elite deep threat to useless player in a 12 month span.

Thomas is a slowing down possession receiver. 

Allen's game is predicated on pushing the ball down the field. This offense desperately needs a deep threat who can actually get open deep, because right now there's plenty of evidence that Benjamin and Zay Jones can't do that, and Thomas isn't doing that in Denver. 

Adding a deep threat would open up the running game by allowing us to face fewer stacked boxes and it would give Allen more simple reads to attack. If he sees two high safeties, he's probably facing Cover 2 designed to limit Jackson. If he sees one safety move into the box and it looks like Cover 1 or Cover 3, you know you've got a guy on the outside who can beat his man deep, so attack that look when you get the shot.

Personally I'd just sign Tyrell Williams and use 2-3 draft picks on wide receivers, and go into next year with Williams as my deep threat, Zay Jones as my #3, and let my rookies compete for the #2 gig. 

3 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

He's 31 years old and he still blows past CBs on a regular basis. You're renting the guy for 1 year. Hard to imagine him going from elite deep threat to useless player in a 12 month span.

Thomas is a slowing down possession receiver. 

Allen's game is predicated on pushing the ball down the field. This offense desperately needs a deep threat who can actually get open deep, because right now there's plenty of evidence that Benjamin and Zay Jones can't do that, and Thomas isn't doing that in Denver. 

I'm not as convinced that a deep threat is the answer to all our woes. Personally I would still go for the better route runner.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I'm not as convinced that a deep threat is the answer to all our woes. Personally I would still go for the better route runner.

We don't have a single guy on our roster who can get behind the defense. 

That makes us unbelievably easy to defend. 

11 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Viable in two years? Big maybe, if they continue to sit on their hands and do jack ***** for the offense they'll never be viable. 

I think we do some major overhauling to the offense in the offseason, they haven't sat on their hands with the offense it's just a young group... QB Josh Allen, WR Zay Jones , RB Chris Ivory, RB Marcus Murphy, OT Dion Dawkins, that isn't doing jack *****, they just need to start maturing now and progressing.