Prediction: Bills Will Use Cap Space as Trade Piece in 2019

HardyBoy

14 minutes ago, H2o said:

This is not happening. Why give up draft picks for one year rentals? This goes against everything Beane and McDermott have done thus far. They will spend the $$$ on players they believe will help the team at positions of need and address others with their draft picks. 

I mean it's all about value right...a fifth round pick, typically provides replacement level value I would have to imagine, at I would think a salary not that much lower than the veteran minimum. A top level player on the last year of their deal is well above replacement level, and their contribution in that one season alone will surpass a random fifth round pick's contribution combined over four seasons.

20 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

I mean it's all about value right...a fifth round pick, typically provides replacement level value I would have to imagine, at I would think a salary not that much lower than the veteran minimum. A top level player on the last year of their deal is well above replacement level, and their contribution in that one season alone will surpass a random fifth round pick's contribution combined over four seasons.

Matt Milano says hi

Kyle Williams say hi as well

Edited by H2o

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

The only free agent of value on offense I can see the Bills going after is Taylor Moton from Carolina.

Sorry you can’t have him, he’s in only the second year of his rookie deal after redshirting last year. However Daryl Williams voted 2nd year all pro at RT last year is an FA. Trouble is he got injured preseason, reinjured on his hurried return and is likely out for the season. Currently on IR the question is do you want to drop a bunch of money on an RT who had one stand out season and is coming off a knee injury? I mean we want to keep him but as you say we have Moton who’s been great this season. Funnily enough we got Moton because you guys got Dawkins just in front of us. So in the end we both did ok.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, H2o said:

Matt Milano says hi

Kyle Williams say hi as well

Absolutely, but how many Bills 5th round picks can you say that about since KW got drafted? How many players out of all the 5th round picks since say 2000 league wide can you say that about?

Let's use this as the imperfect criteria...how many 5th round picks have ever played or made a pro bowl?

2 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

Absolutely, but how many Bills 5th round picks can you say that about since KW got drafted? How many players out of all the 5th round picks since say 2000 league wide can you say that about?

Let's use this as the imperfect criteria...how many 5th round picks have ever played or made a pro bowl?

As much and as hard as you want to aimlessly try to argue your original thought it's not going to happen. They will go after FA and use their draft capital in the draft. 

2 minutes ago, H2o said:

As much and as hard as you want to aimlessly try to argue your original thought it's not going to happen. They will go after FA and use their draft capital in the draft. 

To be fair, I wasn't arguing my original point there, I was arguing the point that you said it wouldn't work because 5th round picks are more valuable than I think they are. 

All I'm saying is if the players aren't there in FA to fill the full cap space, I think the better strategy is at the very least not overpay and commit to overvalued players long term. Either save the cap space, or an interesting and potentially innovative approach is to fill it with high quality players on one year deals that you get for low round draft picks because they would be cut anyway. It's basically giving up very little to franchise tag another team's high quality player for a year when you have the cap space to do it.

How about building with the draft. The scouts are apparently doing a great job-----half dozen draft picks from this year making significant contributions-----using cap money to extend  players proven to work in OUR system and already under contract instead of waiting til expiration when price is likely to go up. With the amount of cap space available next year we certainly could do some extensions AND pick up a couple of sure fire free agents. I believe the idea of continuity especially on the oline where familiarity within the UNIT seems to mean almost as much as shear talent can be more important then continually bringing in guys who may not meld well or don't perform in OUR system the way they did with their former teams. 

All high profile players want to come to Buffalo now. They want to witness Josh Allen’s elite NFL hand size, his rocket arm.

Also, the ability to play on the same team as Tremaine Edmunds, and his Elite NFL nostrils.

Ya’ll crazy thinking we aren’t a desirable destination

4 hours ago, blacklabel said:

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. It'd be great if you just....stopped talking. 

De-Nial isn't a river Egypt but rather where Bills fans who refuse to face facts that they don't like take refuge by trying to insult/intimidate fans who point out those facts.

Fact One:  McDermott/Beane traded for Benjamin on what was fundamentally a one-year rental despite questions about his knee issues and despite his lack of speed.  

Fact Two: McDermott/Beane also traded for Corey Coleman only to find that he was crap, not only losing a draft pick but also incurring a $3.5 million cap hit, when they could have waited for Cleveland to cut him outright and given him the same 10 day/2 week tryout that they gave him ... and it wouldn't have been a big deal if some other team grabbed him off waivers. 

Fact Three: The Bills traded away Taylor, and signed McCarron despite knowing what they had in Taylor and, apparently, not knowing all that much about McCarron.   They wasted time, dollars, and cap space on a few months' rental of a backup QB before they moved on.   With the signing of Anderson, they are sinking even more $$$ and cap space into the backup QB position.  If they had gone after Anderson -- who has been around the league long enough to be a known quantity just like Taylor -- from the get-go rather than trying to pick the cheaper alternative in McCarron, they'd have saved both $$$ and cap space.

I'll stand by my statement that McDermott and Beane -- and the people advising them -- are clueless about managing personnel matters.

3 hours ago, ALF said:

The FA market for OL looks poor so far , roll over a good chunk of cap space to 2020. Don't reach just to spend salary cap, make every signing count.

Being able to roll cap makes this strategy less likely, but there is a cap floor right?