The Ringer & Chris Trapasso: Handing Out Rookie QB Ratings at the 2018 Quarter Mark

Handing Out Rookie QB Ratings at the 2018 Quarter Mark

sAuhOfDF?format=jpg&name=600x314

In the months before an NFL draft, we are taught that the most important trait to becoming a successful quarterback is hand size. Not any statistic, not any analysis of a player’s game: just how beefy a given prospect’s ball tossers are. And then the draft happens, and we don’t hear about those players’ hand sizes ever again. How do anonymous scouts sleep at night?

There were a stunning five quarterbacks taken in the first round of this year’s draft, and throughout the fall we’ll check in on their performances to determine how they stack up. Of course, we’ll do that in the only way to truly assess NFL QBs: by estimating hand sizes based on quality of play.

Here’s where the rookie QBs stand at the quarter point of the 2018 season.

Haha, love the RInger. Pretty good and fair stuff here. 

I think Allen could be a franchise QB...but not with the current coaches in place. McDermott has gone 0-2 on offensive coordinators...that's not good. And that's being light on the criticism for him because he's the head coach, the offensive strategy and development still goes through him. So when we see the horrible playcalling and inability to install even the simplest of offenses...that's on McDermott.

I know people will keep pointing to the 9-7 playoff year...but that to me does not come ahead of putting up the right support structure for a possible franchise QB. 

13 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Handing Out Rookie QB Ratings at the 2018 Quarter Mark

sAuhOfDF?format=jpg&name=600x314

In the months before an NFL draft, we are taught that the most important trait to becoming a successful quarterback is hand size. Not any statistic, not any analysis of a player’s game: just how beefy a given prospect’s ball tossers are. And then the draft happens, and we don’t hear about those players’ hand sizes ever again. How do anonymous scouts sleep at night?

There were a stunning five quarterbacks taken in the first round of this year’s draft, and throughout the fall we’ll check in on their performances to determine how they stack up. Of course, we’ll do that in the only way to truly assess NFL QBs: by estimating hand sizes based on quality of play.

Here’s where the rookie QBs stand at the quarter point of the 2018 season.

This is funny.  " Prior to this season, I can’t remember ever describing an NFL receiver as clumsy. So why does every Mayfield or Rosen pass end with their intended target dramatically pratfalling down a staircase somehow located in the middle of the field? Clips of Mayfield and Rosen passing attempts look like two future Pro Bowlers throwing footballs to pandas that can’t stop falling out of trees. "

I think he's actually reasonably fair to Allen:

I’d call Allen’s first month in the league a success. He (....) has looked much more competent than anyone could have reasonably expected for a guy who posted below-average stats in the Mountain West Conference in 2017.  (....) But he still looks overmatched. Allen (...) leads the league in sacks taken, having lost 148 yards on 18 of them. That’s a sack on more than 13 percent of his dropbacks, giving back almost a quarter of the yards he’s gained through the air. (...) No quarterback has ever lost more than 500 yards on sacks in a season; Allen is on pace to lose almost 600, and he didn’t even play in one of Buffalo’s eight halves this fall. Sure, the Bills offensive line is abysmal, but Allen reads the pass rush about as well as my pet beagle reads Dostoyevsky.

(...) Allen looks great to the people who think he can be great, thanks primarily to his size and his arm. He looks historically bad to those who had no idea why any team considered him a first-round pick. It’s still unclear whether Allen is headed to Canton or the XFL.

Imma gonna think his pet beagle devours Dostoyevsky just fine, especially in a tasty leather binding  ???

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is funny.  " Prior to this season, I can’t remember ever describing an NFL receiver as clumsy. So why does every Mayfield or Rosen pass end with their intended target dramatically pratfalling down a staircase somehow located in the middle of the field? Clips of Mayfield and Rosen passing attempts look like two future Pro Bowlers throwing footballs to pandas that can’t stop falling out of trees. "

I’d call Allen’s first month in the league a success. He (....) has looked much more competent than anyone could have reasonably expected for a guy who posted below-average stats in the Mountain West Conference in 2017.  (....) But he still looks overmatched. Allen (...) leads the league in sacks taken, having lost 148 yards on 18 of them. That’s a sack on more than 13 percent of his dropbacks, giving back almost a quarter of the yards he’s gained through the air. (...) No quarterback has ever lost more than 500 yards on sacks in a season; Allen is on pace to lose almost 600, and he didn’t even play in one of Buffalo’s eight halves this fall. Sure, the Bills offensive line is abysmal, but Allen reads the pass rush about as well as my pet beagle reads Dostoyevsky.

(...) Allen looks great to the people who think he can be great, thanks primarily to his size and his arm. He looks historically bad to those who had no idea why any team considered him a first-round pick. It’s still unclear whether Allen is headed to Canton or the XFL.

Imma gonna think his pet beagle devours Dostoyevsky just fine, especially in a tasty leather binding  ???

14 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Benoit echoes the same sentiments as we can see by watching him play. 

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Oh, and BTW.....that Pandas falling out of Trees link is quite funny.  Recommend 8/10

• Haha (+1) 1

Initial NFL Evaluations of Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, and Josh Rosen

The 2018 Draft featured the most hyped quarterback group in at least 14 years, and four of the five first-round picks at that position, Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, and Josh Rosen, have all at least started one game at the NFL level.

I took to my film bunker -- which is really just my laptop on my desk in the room in the middle of my house -- to evaluate how these young quarterbacks have performed at the early stages of their professional careers.

Yes, the sample sizes are currently small, but these quarterbacks could represent a prominent portion of the future at the game's most vital position, so constant analysis is warranted.

Josh Allen, Bills

Stats: 55 of 103, (53.4% completion), 666 yards (6.5 yards per attempt) 2 TDs, 4 INTs, 63.8 QB Rating

Like Darnold, the times Allen has moved quickly from his first to his second read have been few and far between. Also like Darnold, Allen hasn't been comfortable moving away from any semblance of pressure inside the pocket. He too has been forced to throw with defenders -- and offensive linemen -- in his face due to a lack of pocket presence. All of that has led to a high amount of sacks, and Buffalo's offensive line has been average at its absolute best, particularly against the blitz. He's dealt with plenty of drops as well. Allen's proven to be a commodity as a runner, both on scrambled and designed plays.

He's had a handful of clear-cut misfires but when kept clean and when his initial read has gotten open quickly, Allen's thrown with major velocity and good accuracy without ball-placement problems. His pass-catching options are the worst of 2018's first-round quarterbacks who've started thus far, and he hasn't seen as many quickly open first-read targets as his signal-caller contemporaries. Also, what's likely a plan to accentuate his arm strength, the Bills' scheme has been mostly vertical based, and while Allen has taken many shots beyond 20 yards, there have been a couple of times he hasn't pulled the trigger downfield to give his receivers a chance to make play. 

Either way, given the offensive line, his shaky pocket presence, and current tendency to lock onto his first read, Allen would benefit from more quick-game elements in Buffalo's offense. In the second half against the Packers in Week 4, he was much more calm in the pocket and more decisive than in any other half of football I've seen him play at the NFL level, but Allen was not moving quickly to his second read. 

Grade: D+

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to The Ringer & Chris Trapasso: Handing Out Rookie QB Ratings at the 2018 Quarter Mark

Allen looks like an overmatched rookie playing with sub par talent around him. He makes some electrifying plays and flashes his potential but he is raw and doesn't have a whole lot of help. Hopefully the game starts to slow down for him. He is by all accounts Allen is a bright kid and an extremely hard worker by all accounts. So I think he will continue to progress. It probably will continue to look bad in the coming weeks but hopefully as he gets into the second half of the season you really start to see some progression. 

3 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Haha, love the RInger. Pretty good and fair stuff here. 

I think Allen could be a franchise QB...but not with the current coaches in place. McDermott has gone 0-2 on offensive coordinators...that's not good. And that's being light on the criticism for him because he's the head coach, the offensive strategy and development still goes through him. So when we see the horrible playcalling and inability to install even the simplest of offenses...that's on McDermott.

I know people will keep pointing to the 9-7 playoff year...but that to me does not come ahead of putting up the right support structure for a possible franchise QB. 

i'm not going any farther in this thread...mainly cause i'm tired and bitchy, but THE NO. 1 PROBLEM WITH THIS OFFENSE IS THE OLINE.  UNTIL CASTILLO IS GONE AND A NEW APPROACH IS TAKEN, THIS LINE WILL BE NOTHING BUT CONSTANT CHAOS. RIP JOSH ALLEN.

you can gripe about the lack of talent all day long, but watching these guys whiff on blocks, have defenders run freely into the backfield and look like they have no idea who to block or what the guy next to him is doing is inexcusable.. nothing will change until change is made.

MCDERMOTT HAS TO SACK UP,  CAN JUAN AND GET SOMEBODY WITH A PROVEN RECORD IN HERE.  NOTHING WILL CHANGE UNTIL THEN.  i don't know what kind of love affair was established between the two back in the day, but it's gotta end in a divorce....NOW. 

another thing mcprocess should do is hire jordan plamer as a qb coach and have him on the sideline sunday at 1pm.  this not only should help josh tremendously, it should make mcd look like he's got a plan to help this kid succeed.  kill two birds with one stone.  have a vet qb mentor/ coach and an active set of eyes on the sideline. someone who knows josh inside and out.

as a matter of fact, if dabol's gonna stay in the booth ,then the guy relaying the play to josh through the headphones should be palmer. coach, you can thank me later.

a pitcher and some wings will do fine.

Edited by billsredneck1

12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Oh, and BTW.....that Pandas falling out of Trees link is quite funny.  Recommend 8/10

I haven't laughed so hard in ages. It's almost the same physical coordination KB and Zay Jones have running routes and 'catching' passes.

Right up there with the gif of the guy riding a pig a week or so ago.

9/10 will definitely fall out of tress again.

Edited by RocCityRoller
  • Thank you (+1) 1