• Mike Pompeo
    • Steve Mnuchin
    • Jim Mattis
    • Jeff Sessions
    • John Kelly
    • Nikki Haley
    • Sara Sanders
    • Alex Acosta
    • Dan Coates (no relation to that MFer Ben)
    • Ben Carson
    • Ivanka Trump
    • Jared Kushner
    • Steve Miller Band
    • KellyAnn Conway
    • NYT made it up
    • Donald Trump (via an intermediary)
    • Someone else

Just now, TakeYouToTasker said:

Edit your poll to include another clear option.

- Someone completely unaffiliated with the Trump

I only got 20 choices. That's "someone else" which is the smart category if you're plunking down $$. 

If it's a relative no-name, the NYT will look worse than it does now. It needs to be one of the big names for them to hold even a shred of dignity. 

I'm in the Huntsman-did-it camp.

I worked my way through the weeds over on Facebook (in a thread John started), so read this, including material linked from there.

Whatever you think of the word analysis — H's propensity to say "malign," etc. etc. — the form of his "denial" is the key. I didn't think he would lie, and he didn't. That's why he said: "Anything sent out by me would have carried my name. An early political lesson I learned: never send an anonymous op-ed." The NYT op-ed writer did send it out under his own name. The NYT knows the name. It was just published anonymously. 

24 minutes ago, B-Man said:

I worked my way through the weeds over on Facebook (in a thread John started), so read this, including material linked from there.

Whatever you think of the word analysis — H's propensity to say "malign," etc. etc. — the form of his "denial" is the key. I didn't think he would lie, and he didn't. That's why he said: "Anything sent out by me would have carried my name. An early political lesson I learned: never send an anonymous op-ed." The NYT op-ed writer did send it out under his own name. The NYT knows the name. It was just published anonymously. 

Slate makes a pretty good argument for it being Huntsman.

The main problem with their analysis - and it's a big one - is that they're comparing spoken to written speech throughout most of it.  Most people do not speak and write in the same fashion.  I'd prefer an analysis that relies more on Huntsman's written personal items - particularly any op-eds he's previously written.

And if it was Huntsman, and that analysis is accurate...he's a !@#$ing idiot.  At a minimum, delete all adjectives and adverbs, and run your writing through a thesaurus, to anonymize it.

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

Pretty compelling case. I gave it less than a week till the name came out. Now it might be out by the Sunday talk shows. 

Good to root him out. He could have done so much more good if he did this after he resigned or just in a sign of open rebellion. If it is Huntsman, what a terrible misfire. 

Edited by BeginnersMind

1 minute ago, BeginnersMind said:

Pretty compelling case. I gave it less than a week till the name came out. Now it might be out by the Sunday talk shows. 

Good to root him out. He could have done so much more good if he did this after he resigned or just in a sign of open rebellion. If it is Huntsman, what a terrible misfire. 

Whoever, if it is real, which I have doubts, is a traitor.  Not a terrible misfire, but a stinken traitor. 

The left would rather see this country go down than admit all the good the President has done. 

44 minutes ago, westside said:

Whoever, if it is real, which I have doubts, is a traitor.  Not a terrible misfire, but a stinken traitor. 

The left would rather see this country go down than admit all the good the President has done. 

Not a traitor, just irresponsible.  It is not treason to not do what the President tells you to.  He's the President, not a monarch.

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

Not a traitor, just irresponsible.  It is not treason to not do what the President tells you to.  He's the President, not a monarch.

If Trump's predecessor taught us anything, it's that the President is bound only by the limitations of the other two branches of Government:

The Pen and the Phone

8 hours ago, westside said:

In our system, to not do what the president wants is not traitorous. It’s just not doing your job and he/she should be fired. 

This isn’t a dictatorship and the author broke no laws. Terrible choice. Cowardly. All those things. But not traitorous. No hangings are happening here. 

I chose “misfire” for Huntsman specifically because I saw him as a guy with presidential potential. If he’s the author, this would end that aspiration. 

Edited by BeginnersMind

10 hours ago, B-Man said:

Huntsman makes a lot of sense given that Russia and McCain were mentioned in the op-ed.  It was obvious with the praising of the tax cuts, deregulation, and robust military spending makes me think he was a deeply establishment Republican.  The McCain half staff flag fiasco at the White House may have been the last straw.  Here's an article showing just how much regard Huntsman had for McCain.

• Like (+1) 1