Thank You to All Vets Who Served

donbb

17 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

Well, thanks. I'm sure there's plenty on here. Commo guy. Milfhunter. Many more I'm sure. 

I suppose we all have to post DD-214's along with a picture ID nowadays though. 

He thanked the guys who served.

That's not you.

Stolen valor.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

He thanked the guys who served.

That's not you.

Stolen valor.

Without proof your accusations mean nothing. This thread is to thank our heroes. Please show some class.

10 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Thanks for peeling the potatoes the soldiers ate.

no one really sits there peeling potatoes all day long like in the movies.... :-)

Well, I take that back.... The Dude may have

Edited by Cinga
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

There arent even Military cooks in the DFAC's anymore, they are all contracted out. 

When I f'ed up or pissed someone off, I was sent to KP. That sucked.

Longest day I ever spent was working KP duty. Up at like 5am and we worked all day till 10 pm. Blah! 

12 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

When I f'ed up or pissed someone off, I was sent to KP. That sucked.

If you were a 19K you went to Knox. We ate at the same defac. KP in basic was the best. Only got to do it twice. We jockeyed for that ****. We got to eat all day and we were ALWAYS hungry. We got donuts, man! Totally worth it. And, you didn't get smoked until after dinner. Totally worth it. 

edit: wait a tick, y'all didn't eat at the same defac did ya? Y'alls barracks were down across the street from the smoke pit / track, right? I think there was another one there. But, it's been a loooooong time for me. And then the Marines were just up the street from where I was. 

14 minutes ago, Cinga said:

no one really sits there peeling potatoes all day long like in the movies.... ?

Well, I take that back.... The Dude may have

....i don't think I did. I don't remember KP other than the donuts. There were donuts. And what was bad was after a couple of months the nasty looking women from E-town started to look like something you could get through. 

But thanks for the shot I guess. 

Edited by The_Dude

1 hour ago, The_Dude said:

If you were a 19K you went to Knox. We ate at the same defac. KP in basic was the best. Only got to do it twice. We jockeyed for that ****. We got to eat all day and we were ALWAYS hungry. We got donuts, man! Totally worth it. And, you didn't get smoked until after dinner. Totally worth it. 

edit: wait a tick, y'all didn't eat at the same defac did ya? Y'alls barracks were down across the street from the smoke pit / track, right? I think there was another one there. But, it's been a loooooong time for me. And then the Marines were just up the street from where I was. 

....i don't think I did. I don't remember KP other than the donuts. There were donuts. And what was bad was after a couple of months the nasty looking women from E-town started to look like something you could get through. 

But thanks for the shot I guess. 

Yeah it was a long time ago but yes our barrack were right across the street from the sawdust pit. That thing freaking sucked because they got so creative with it. it was on a hill, so  they would make us bear crawl up and roll down. then there was a track around it so they could make us run endless laps. then there was the piece de resistance, the actual pit itself, which conveniently had a water spricket right next to it, so they could hose us down while they smoked us. endless hours of fun for the cadre there LOL.

KP in basic was ok for the reasons listed above, KP @ Irwin was freakin hell because it took place in a field tent in the middle of the desert. It stunk, it was over a hundred outside so 10-15 degrees hotter in the tent. And in the "winter months" you were always soaked so when they loaded you back onto the cattle car to go back to your platoon you froze all the way back, then you had to change. It sucked. The only saving grace was if we were out on FTX with the Abrams, you could fire up the tank and just stand behind for a bit to warm up.?  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

The only saving grace was if we were out on FTX with the Abrams, you could fire up the tank and just stand behind for a bit to warm up.?  

I was a light scout (hummer) and I did NOT know that about tanks till Iraq (OIF 1 was my first field problem, it was a big one). I was our LTs delta. Pulled up right behind an M1 at BIAP that was sitting there but on. My gunner started kicking me in the head. Whoops. Sowwy. ?

1 hour ago, Boyst62 said:

Thanks to all those who didn't get in to college to serve is right!

I really thought/think the whole "thanks for your service" thing was/is needless and annoying. But, you're simply being needlessly ugly.

I think the author in Jack Reacher kind of had the reasons for service correct. 

Not 100% sure I remember... 1) Family Tradition 2 ) Needed a job/no choice 3) To kill a human, legally 4) Honor. 

I really don't think they are all mutually exclusive, but the thought does encapsulate the reasons many of my friends and I joined.

Edited by Paulus

1 hour ago, The_Dude said:

Oh wait, I forgot, since some people don't like me I didn't do army things. My bad. 

Actually, I don't know if I'd like you on a personal level or not.  I think the persona you choose to project here is laughable, and I have very little tolerance for people who reject new and pertanent formation in favor of state sanctioned dogma and propaganda.

That's not why I question your claims to service, however.

I question your claims to service because you frequently wrap your claims in the flag, attempting to use it as armor, deflecting away criticism and counter-evidence against your positions by stating things similar to:  "How dare you.  I'm a decorated war hero.  What have you ever done to justify you critiquing my positions."

I find that to be vile, hollow, and beneath the dignity of someone who has actually served this country.  A man of character, who actually served, would never seek to insulate his own intellectual frailties behind a badge of service.  A man who served on the front lines, as you claim to have, would not take the approach of a coward as you routinely do.

6 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

I was a light scout (hummer) and I did NOT know that about tanks till Iraq (OIF 1 was my first field problem, it was a big one). I was our LTs delta. Pulled up right behind an M1 at BIAP that was sitting there but on. My gunner started kicking me in the head. Whoops. Sowwy. ?

I wasnt there for that one but saw the aftermath, as I was stationed on Tampa about 25 mins away just south. 

Just now, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

I wasnt there for that one but saw the aftermath, as I was stationed on Tampa about 25 mins away just south. 

I wasn't stationed at BIAP. I was at the Green Zone. FOB Wolfpack, just down the road from 4-heads palace. We got extended in late April after we had all of our **** packed up and ready to go to Kuwait. They then sent us to Biap for less than 2 weeks, then we got to go to Najaf for the whole Mahdi militia thing which was a BLAST. Best time of my life. I hope you got to go to the Babylonian ruins -- those were awesome. I used my knife to carve out a brick inscribed by Neberkenezer and some horrible navy girl took it at Kuwait before I got it home. I was sooo pissed. Also, I didn't feel bad for "stealing" it because odds are some terrorist was just gonna blow it up anyways. 

6 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

That's not why I question your claims to service,

Nope, don't care.

• Like (+1) 1