Katherine Johnson

TSNBDSC

I think they had rooms full of computers for the moon missions, and their combined computing power was equivalent to what was found in a 1985 Casio black plastic digital watch costing $24.95 at the time, or something like that. 

Shows what is possible with intelligent thinking.  The Romans were doing the same thing a long time ago.

The Pantheon in Rome was built around 100AD and no one on the planet built a larger enclosed dome structure for 1,400 years after it.  Around the same time, Rome was delivering more gallons of clean drinking water to the city, per citizen, than was capable until the early 20th century.

They did lots of hand calculations too, and in fact, didn't even have a "zero" in their mathematical system, which is quite a drawback.  Still got the job done.  Invented hydraulic cement (sets underwater while wet, it's why Roman bridges still exist; they have solid pilings), did crude brain surgery, and lots of other stuff. 

I can go on and on.

2 hours ago, bbb said:

Totally agree.  I wasn't too excited about watching it, but I loved it. 

Wasn't excited about seeing it either, but really liked it as well. Either it seemed good because of the low expectations, or I'm just a sensitive guy.

• Like (+1) 1