Vintage Buffalo Concert Posters

8 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

If there's ANY way to get that Zeppelin-Rich Stadium poster, I'll gladly pay $100.

i am pretty sure that show was canceled if I remember correctly.

I may have been at the Dead show...cant quite see the date. Saw them at the Aud in either 79 or 80...unfortunetly did a double swim practice that day, got right out of afternoon practice at 5:30 and headed to Aud..few beers, few J's, ...slept most of the show?

5 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the cancelled one was supposed to be at The Aud.

I am pretty sure they were both cancelled.  1980 after Bonham died - and '77 I'm not 100% on the reason, but it may have been when Robert Plant's son died.  I think the last Zep concert in Buffalo was in 1975

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

i am pretty sure that show was canceled if I remember correctly.

I may have been at the Dead show...cant quite see the date. Saw them at the Aud in either 79 or 80...unfortunetly did a double swim practice that day, got right out of afternoon practice at 5:30 and headed to Aud..few beers, few J's, ...slept most of the show?

9/26/81

Stones played Rich the next day after the Dead concert

Edited by row_33

7 minutes ago, shrader said:

It is in no way vintage, but I have this one hanging in my garage.  I've always liked it.

MDllYWI3ZjRhYjcyYTgxNGMyMTlkNjg3ZjYwOGI2

I saw PJ here in Cincy in 2000 right after the tragedy in Europe. They sucked but are still on my top 3 list.

I've seen BOH twice, I own their first two albums, love them dearly. THAT'S a cool poster.

1 hour ago, Seasons1992 said:

If there's ANY way to get that Zeppelin-Rich Stadium poster, I'll gladly pay $100.

That is a well known photograph that someone took and designed a (cheesy) little poster around.

You could very easily create your own if you have any computer graphic design skills at all...then take it to Kinkos if necessary to print on a big color printer.  

Unless the whole idea is that you want a real poster made back in the '70s.  That would probably be expensive though now.

I have seen these Buffalo-connected concert posters before and always thought it would be cool to have one.

I'm going to hunt around and see if I can find something online.

I'm not seeing anything at Allposters.com.  

I did find this poster there though, which is cool.  How I miss this building!

u-g-F188RV0.jpg?w=550&h=550&p=0

Not Buffalo, but for just overall coolness, this one is fantastic!

fd135a1ba9e302d4bea6202bd69d357b--led-ze

Edited by Fadingpain

5 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

That is a well known photograph that someone took and designed a (cheesy) little poster around.

You could very easily create your own if you have any computer graphic design skills at all...then take it to Kinkos if necessary to print on a big color printer.  

Unless the whole idea is that you want a real poster made back in the '70s.  That would probably be expensive though now.

I have seen these Buffalo-connected concert posters before and always thought it would be cool to have one.

I'm going to hunt around and see if I can find something online.

I'm not seeing anything at Allposters.com.  

I did find this poster there though, which is cool.  How I miss this building!

u-g-F188RV0.jpg?w=550&h=550&p=0

I saw the Elvis Buffalo one in Houston a few years ago. It seems to be the "standard" one to sell which is pretty cool. Jojo's Pizza on the corner of Abbott and Meridan has a few seemingly legit Buffalo posters on their wall. At least they did when I lived there 7 years ago. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Seasons1992 said:

Here's another one that is a little bland, but better than the one at the top of the post as well, IMO.  And this one is incredibly doable on your own.   I guess this the concert that never happened?  Makes the poster more interesting.

638040301d63ee7461aaefd3988d9913.jpg

There are a few real Zeppelin concert posters on Ebay right now for like $750 starting bid..one is for $1500.

Replica concert posters are a different story (for other bands in general).  They are going for like $10 to $20.

If anyone here would be happy with a replica poster, the best solution is to make your own replica.  

I'm still looking for someone selling replica Zeppelin posters, with the Buffalo connection.  That last part is the hard part.

Just now, Bills4everNY said:

Blue Oyster Cult was the headliner and Lynyrd Skynyrd opened for them in 1977. I would think it should have been the other way around.

Great thread!

That was my thought. Saw an old one where Mott the Hoople was the headliner, with a little known opening act by the name of Queen.

This is cool!   Website dedicated to finding every known bootleg Zeppelin concert recording! 

They have for a concert in Buffalo, at the Aud, 1973.  

http://longliveledzeppelin.blogspot.com/2015/09/19730715-led-zeppelin-buffalo-ny-hot.html

Here's the front and back cover of the CD someone put together I guess. 

These would also be cool poster ideas.  

Hot+Bufflo+Night+-+front.jpg

Hot+Bufflo+Night+-+back.jpg

From the website: I found this to be a fascinating read as a big Zeppelin fan, maybe you will too.

The relentless touring schedule continues to take its toll on Plant's fragile voice. He struggles to maintain control as Rock and Roll gets underway. As Black Dog ends, Plant apologizes to the crowd for the delay, explaining that Page's guitar "has had a bit of an accident, but we got it fixed now." Over the Hills and Far Away is introduced as "a song about the journey that we're all on." The intro is interrupted by a loud firecracker blast, prompting Plant to respond "that's one guy who's not on the same journey." Page blazes through an excellent guitar solo.

No Quarter is fantastic, despite Page's occasionally sticky fingers. The Rain Song is absolutely beautiful. Dazed and Confused is introduced as "one of the old ones." Page hints at The Rover during a frantic call and response with Bonzo and Jones prior to the haunting San Francisco interlude. The transition to the bow solo is highly dramatic. A loud firecracker blast interrupts the eery soundscape. Page is on fire during the guitar solo/workout section. As the song ends, Bonzo can be heard shouting "well done Jim!" before Plant announces "I dunno who the sadist was who lit off the bomb, but he really is a jerk-off."

Bonzo is introduced as "the all-time percussionist of rock and roll" before Moby Dick. Page shreds wildly through the solos during Heartbreaker. Bonzo and Jones explore an infectious funky groove during the theramin freakout in Whole Lotta Love. Page joins in for a frantic race to the finish. Plant makes a brief reference to Gallows Pole during his boogie rap. Before the show-closing The Ocean, Plant announces "this requires the vocal talents of John Bonham."

Review: Led Zeppelin Kneads Crowd to Silly Putty

Led Zeppelin doesn’t give concerts, they perform physical transformations. They kneaded the full-house crowd in Memorial Auditorium into silly putty Sunday night with two hours and 50 minutes of massive sensory massage.

The sheer enormity of the sound did it (though the full moon may have helped), an enormity that resonates into your paleolithic pith, the cry of the dinosaur summoning out that primitive quickening in the face of monstrosity.

Whatever isn’t touched by the earthquake rumble of John Paul Jones’ bass, John Bonham’s gunshot cracks on the drums or Robert Plant’s echoey heart-of-darkness voice is left quivering by the swooping electronic slices of guitarist Jimmy Page, especially his solo on the theremin.

Their relatively simple brooding themes are blown larger than life, like skyscraping office buildings, and they lay on thick embellishments and broad dramatic resolutions that mean more en masse than as individual items.

The four of them approached it all with unexpected good humor. John and Bonham lay back blithely amongst the folding backdrop of mirrors that run the length of the stage.

Page in black with a rhinestone-studded rose on his open jacket, prancing around like a cocky midlands soccer player in a pub, and Plant in tight jeans and a short jacket with rhinestones and puffed sleeves strutting back his curly blond mane.

The band took no breaks, despite the heat. Applause followed a few Page guitar solos but the youngish crowd didn’t really erupt until the start of Stairway to Heaven and again when the spinning mirrored ball went on as it closed.

The heavy drumbeat of Moby Dick brought a rush on the stage and most of the hall stayed on its feet for that last hour, including a long Bonham drum solo with special synthesizer effects.

An 8-minute ovation brought them back for an encore after their boogieing final number. “Thank you Buffalo,” Plant said when they finished. “Take care until we see you again.” (D. Anderson, Buffalo News / July 1973)

• Thank you (+1) 2

There is actually an entry at Wikipedia for all Led Zeppelin concert dates.

I went through all North American tours looking for Buffalo.

I don't know how complete or accurate it is, but apparently Zeppelin came to Buffalo three times.

10/30/1969  KLEINHANS MUSIC HALL ( Can't imagine seeing Zeppelin in there in '69 when their playing was great and Jimmy Page was still super sharp; that's way pre heroin addiction)

6-10-1972  The Aud

7-15-1973 The Aud

That's it!  

I need to find that Kleinhans concert poster, if one existed.  That would be cool.

72_tkt_buffalo.jpg

• Like (+1) 1