Allen Fighting Off Narratives With Strong Start to Preseason - The Draft Network

On 8/20/2018 at 9:07 PM, QCity said:

It's an annual tradition to believe that what we see in the preseason will translate to the regular season. Fans fall for it every year, I think it's a condition that arises from not watching football for 8 months.

So I guess your discounting what happen in Seattle a few years ago with Russell Wilson tearing it up in pre-season and becoming the starter or the Cowboys Dak Prescott having to start for injured Tony Romo. Both instances these rookies played real well in pre-season and went on to have great 1st seasons. 

Buffalo Bills Coaching Staff Already Receiving Praise for Work With Josh Allen - Last Word on Pro Football

Often times, a quarterback’s ability to realize his full potential is directly correlated to his coaches’ ability to successfully leverage it.

Perhaps the most prominent example in recent years is Jared Goff. As a rookie, with Jeff Fisher as his head coach, the 2016 first overall pick looked like he was heading towards bust territory. Goff lost all seven of his starts with his 63.6 quarterback rating ranking him 33rd among quarterbacks who attempted at least 200 passes.

Then came a coaching change with Sean McVay replacing Fisher. Almost overnight, Goff went from a signal caller who appeared in over his head to one capable of leading his Los Angeles Rams to the postseason. Combined with the team killing it in free agency this off-season, suddenly they’re a trendy Super Bowl pick out of the NFC.

Obviously, rookie quarterbacks aren’t expected to step right in and turn a team into a contender. Some are ready to take the reins earlier than others. But having competent coaching helps. And it appears Josh Allen has that with the Buffalo Bills coaching staff.
  • Like (+1) 2

On 8/22/2018 at 7:52 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Obviously, rookie quarterbacks aren’t expected to step right in and turn a team into a contender. Some are ready to take the reins earlier than others. But having competent coaching helps. And it appears Josh Allen has that with the Buffalo Bills coaching staff.

Holy shnikes, Batman!  The Bills mentioned as having the ability to develop a young QB?  I just fell out of my chair!

Rivers McCown of FBO remains an Allen skeptic.

Football Outsiders Breaks Down Rookie Quaterback Josh Allen

We asked Football Outsiders for thoughts on what they have seen from Allen so far, and about his potential in Buffalo.

“The sky is the limit if Allen can actually be coached to play football well, which is the reason why he is ‘polarizing’ rather than ‘maligned’,” Rivers McCown said. “Because he was not even a good college quarterback. Drafting Allen in the first round was like when baseball teams used to select pitchers that threw 100 miles per hour and figured they could make them learn how to actually pitch later.”

This preseason success has not swayed Football Outsiders’ original pre-draft opinion of Allen: that he is a gifted athlete with all the physical tools in the world, while also representing as risky of a pick as there was among rookie quarterbacks, especially considering the decrease in his yards per attempt from his sophomore season to his junior year (from 8.6 in 2016 to 6.7 in 2017).

“Allen had the worst QBASE score of any quarterback in this draft class. He struggled to dent college defenses like Oregon and Iowa. He was drafted in the first round because he is tall and because his arm generates ridiculous amounts of velocity,” McCown said. “Every piece of empirical evidence we have on Allen leads to him being a failure. Even the big-armed guys like Joe Flacco and Derek Carr have struggled to actually complete deep balls in the NFL, and they are far more polished than Allen is at this point. If the Bills turn him into a great quarterback, awesome. I’ll be happy for them and happy for your readership. But it is incredibly hard for me to believe that will happen.”

NFL expert Greg Cosell praises Buffalo Bills quarterback Josh Allen

Legendary NFL Films producer and quarterback guru Greg Cosell saw improvement from Buffalo Bills quarterback Josh Allen after watching the tape from the game against the Cleveland Browns.

"I thought he looked very comfortable with his drops, his sets, his delivery - he threw with touch on the short balls," Cosell said during his appearance on the Ross Tucker Football podcast this week. "I thought that his stride length was a little bit shorter, which is critical on shorter throws. He was consistently accurate. It was only one week and I'm only telling you what the tape shows, but he looks like he's being coached. It also looks like he's being receptive to that coaching."

Cosell liked how Bills offensive coordinator Brian Daboll called the game for Allen in his second preseason action. The rookie was able to show his improvement in the shorter passing game and his mechanics looked crisp, Cosell said.

"I think they really focused on him playing in rhythm with quicker drops and throwing shorter passes," Cosell said. "Because that was one of the things that he needed to work on coming out of Wyoming. He was not a pace-touch thrower and he was not effective throwing shorter passes.

"We know he can make plays with movement, so when he had that two-yard touchdown pass -- which clearly showed his athleticism, his movement, his poise, his composure, his ability to make second-reaction plays -- we know that. That's not what I was looking at. I was looking more for his footwork, his balance, his discipline in his drops. And these were all quick game drops where it really requires that."

What is it about Buffalo Bills QB Josh Allen?

(WKBW) - Ever since the Buffalo Bills drafted quarterback Josh Allen with the seventh overall pick, it's been an up and down journey for fans.

From the initial thought despair of selecting draft Twitter's least favorite top quarterback, many Bills fans slowly started to warm up to the thought of Allen. Even still, during the spring practices, tepid expectations remained as the rookie didn't overwhelm the masses just yet.

After going around the locker room and asking similar questions to many of his teammates, the buzz has been built just as much inside the building as it has outside.

Their words about the Josh Allen, the Bills quarterback that has everyone talking:

What stands out about Josh on the field?
What about the things you see from him as a teammate, getting to talk with him and play with him every day?
To the media he comes across as a tad goofy, but naive in the sense that he doesn’t let the big stuff get to him. Is that accurate?
Have there been moments when you thought to yourself, ‘how did he do that?’

I got 'due dilig

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

Who remembers a time when bull **** jargon like "narrative," "hyperbole," and "due diligence" was not a part of every sports fan's lexicon?

I got 'due diligence' from real estate. 'Hyperbole' is just a word.

I agree that 'narrative' is overplayed.

FOX Sports analyst sees improvements in Bills QB Josh Allen

“At his pro day, I saw the improvements,” Davis said. “I saw the shortening of his stride, I saw the accuracy improving because of that, so I knew right away, and I knew it before; he is a worker.”

Taking in Bills practice on Friday, Davis said the improvements continue to come for the rookie.

“Everything that you saw that he processed in college, and you wanted more consistency, I think it’ll come with time and it’s starting to come already,” Davis said. “That door is open for (Allen).”

On Sunday, the ball is in Allen’s court. The rookie was named Buffalo’s starting quarterback for the game. With struggles and injury plaguing AJ McCarron, there’s a chance that a strong game from Allen on Sunday could lock up the starting quarterback job for him. Nathan Peterman will also play Sunday and get a look to become Buffalo’s starter.