Bills' GM Beane Bullish on Keeping Training Camp in Rochester

Bills' GM Beane bullish on keeping training camp in Rochester

At the conclusion of their 19th annual training camp at St. John Fisher College on Wednesday, the Buffalo Bills loaded their moving vans and headed back to Orchard Park.

Will it be for the last time?

The trend in the NFL is for teams to hold preseason practices at their ever-improving regular-season facilities.

But Bills general manager Brandon Beane said emphatically, “It’s not my trend.’’

Speaking to the Democrat and Chronicle, Beane said that as long as he and coach Sean McDermott are calling the shots, they are committed to holding training camp on the road and in Rochester.

“I love it here, it’s a great spot,’’ Beane said. “We both believe in it. We actually went out to dinner last night and talked about it. As long as we’re in charge, we’re going to camp.’’

16 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Bills' GM Beane bullish on keeping training camp in Rochester

At the conclusion of their 19th annual training camp at St. John Fisher College on Wednesday, the Buffalo Bills loaded their moving vans and headed back to Orchard Park.

Will it be for the last time?

The trend in the NFL is for teams to hold preseason practices at their ever-improving regular-season facilities.

But Bills general manager Brandon Beane said emphatically, “It’s not my trend.’’

Speaking to the Democrat and Chronicle, Beane said that as long as he and coach Sean McDermott are calling the shots, they are committed to holding training camp on the road and in Rochester.

“I love it here, it’s a great spot,’’ Beane said. “We both believe in it. We actually went out to dinner last night and talked about it. As long as we’re in charge, we’re going to camp.’’

Funny because McDermott’s comments last year would lead you to believe the opposite.  I am sure that internally it was decided that it was in the org’s best interest to keep camp in Rochester 

Don't let my name fool you as I actually moved to NC, but I think they would be foolish to take the camp out of Rochester.  It seemed like no matter what day I would go or no matter how the weather was when I was up there it was always a packed house and the Rochester fan base is as important as any to the Bills. It's three weeks Rochester fans got to enjoy their home team, would hate to see it taken away.

• Like (+1) 2

In an interview earlier in camp Beane discussed how they like the idea of getting away from home - players don't have to worry about daily family obligations and  can be focused on football exclusively, and being away together forces bonding.  

In McD's PC this morning - on the subject of camp at SJF , on getting away from Orchard Park in a camp type atmosphere he said "I believe when you're trying to build a team and ask a group of guys to come together, that getting away is important"

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

Funny because McDermott’s comments last year would lead you to believe the opposite.  I am sure that internally it was decided that it was in the org’s best interest to keep camp in Rochester 

...McBeane needs to step up on this.....perhaps 25-35% of Bflo's fan base comes from Rochester, as well as east and south.......significant percentage to alienate....Pegula also owns the AHL Rochester Americans, just took over operations of the Blue Cross Arena and is pledging money towards renovations...what happens to THAT support?......McD can be a bit anal....he cut down camp time in Roch-Cha-Cha....we have a construction cerew there for set up and eventual takedown along with others.....McD has barred contractors from being near the field they're practicing on at times and the Bills gladly paid for idle time....none of our guys were KGB of "friends of Belichick"...SMH.....

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...McBeane needs to step up on this.....perhaps 25-35% of Bflo's fan base comes from Rochester, as well as east and south.......significant percentage to alienate....Pegula also owns the AHL Rochester Americans, just took over operations of the Blue Cross Arena and is pledging money towards renovations...what happens to THAT support?......McD can be a bit anal....he cut down camp time in Roch-Cha-Cha....we have a construction cerew there for set up and eventual takedown along with others.....McD has barred contractors from being near the field they're practicing on at times and the Bills gladly paid for idle time....none of our guys were KGB of "friends of Belichick"...SMH.....

Huh? Seems like you are complaining about nothing.

3 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...where the hell did I complain?...merely pointing out what appears to be difference of opinions between McBeane and McD.....they'll hash it out......

You realise that McBeane is not an actual person, right?

• Haha (+1) 2