Winless Teams in Preseason

I can’t imagine anything LESS important than a win loss record in the Exhibition Season. If anything, I’d look at how the first string offense looks. If they go three and out repeatedly it’s a bad omen for the offensive scheme and trouble for the players psyche

44 minutes ago, Lfod said:

I know I liked the Bills in the Panthers preseason game. The only thing I wanted to see is if our players looked competitive and could make some plays.  I think I would have been dissapointed if it looked like my team was getting walked all over.

I think preseason is exactly what it's meant to be. A chance to run your roster up against a different teams roster 4 times before you start the season. It allows you a different perspective on things. Your not exactly looking to go full force when your tweaking tuning and evaluating.

Yea pre-season W/L means not much to me I judge it by how the team looks and depending on the need that offseason the players themselves. I remember a bad pre season would be the 2014 Bills were the offense in the main pre season game against the Bucs got booed off the damn field at half time. That was bad.

So far the offensive has looked better then expected and the defense did what I figured especially because they are showing 1% of their true plan. That works by me and Allen looks possibly more ready to go sooner which would be great..but if they don't rush him that's also fine.

6 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

What's equally interesting is the year the Colts won the Super Bowl, they went 0-4 in the Pre-Season. So, the only conclusion in my mind to draw is that the Pre-Season has literally NO bearing on how the team will do in the regular season and it's only value is basically extended scrimmages, getting guys into game shape, evaluating players....and of course our all time favorite, ending guys' seasons prematurely with stupid injuries. 

Not going to go through them all, but since the 2000 season....

Season - SB winner - Preseason record

2000 - Ravens - 4-0

2001 - New England - 3-1

2002 - Tampa Bay - 3-1

2003 - New England - 4-0

2004 - New England - 2-2

2005 - Pittsburgh - 3-1

2006 - Indianapolis - 1-3

2007 - New York Giants - 1-3

2008 - Pittsburgh - 3-1

2009 - New Orleans - 3-1

2010 - Green Bay - 2-2

2011 - New York Giants - 2-2

2012 - Baltimore - 2-2

2013 - Seattle - 4-0

2014 - New England - 2-2

2015 - Denver - 3-1

2016 - New England - 3-1

2017 - Philadelphia - 2-2

Overall, 47-25 or 65% winning percentage

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Not going to go through them all, but since the 2000 season....

Season - SB winner - Preseason record

2000 - Ravens - 4-0

2001 - New England - 3-1

2002 - Tampa Bay - 3-1

2003 - New England - 4-0

2004 - New England - 2-2

2005 - Pittsburgh - 3-1

2006 - Indianapolis - 1-3

2007 - New York Giants - 1-3

2008 - Pittsburgh - 3-1

2009 - New Orleans - 3-1

2010 - Green Bay - 2-2

2011 - New York Giants - 2-2

2012 - Baltimore - 2-2

2013 - Seattle - 4-0

2014 - New England - 2-2

2015 - Denver - 3-1

2016 - New England - 3-1

2017 - Philadelphia - 2-2

Overall, 47-25 or 65% winning percentage

Thank you - my mistake about Indy. I read the stat years ago when the point was made about the Lions going 4-0 in Pre Season and then lost every game. I presumed the site did their research, obviously I was wrong...and so were they. 1-3 isn’t much better but it does diminish the point a bit.

However, your larger point is well taken. I’m not sure there is enough empirical evidence to suggest a strong correlation between winning the Pre Season and the Super Bowl Champ, as more data would be needed. But again, your point directly contradicts mine with relevant information - so, I accept that you’ve got a better data set to at least build a more informed hypothesis. Thanks for this...thought provoking at the least. 

9 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Thank you - my mistake about Indy. I read the stat years ago when the point was made about the Lions going 4-0 in Pre Season and then lost every game. I presumed the site did their research, obviously I was wrong...and so were they. 1-3 isn’t much better but it does diminish the point a bit.

However, your larger point is well taken. I’m not sure there is enough empirical evidence to suggest a strong correlation between winning the Pre Season and the Super Bowl Champ, as more data would be needed. But again, your point directly contradicts mine with relevant information - so, I accept that you’ve got a better data set to at least build a more informed hypothesis. Thanks for this...thought provoking at the least. 

It could be taken further by including the losing SB team, or even adding in all playoff teams, to see if overall, if teams have a winning record in preseason do they make the playoffs, versus teams that did not make the playoffs. A data set that would take much longer than the 15-20 minutes it took me to make this list. 

• Like (+1) 1