Snakeland: What Do You Know/Remember?

Fadingpain

Who remembers "Snakeland" at the Tonawanda grain elevators?

This was popular in the local press for a while as a site where bad kids hung out and allegedly practiced satanism and what not.

Was anyone there back in the day?  Have any good stories?

What do you remember?

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

We have grain elevators here.  But they are still used for grain.

Anyway... Never heard of this either. But I guess it would be a cool place to practice satanism.

Corn snakes?  ?

I think you have the wrong thread. Try Royale’s.

• Haha (+1) 1

Were those the ones on Military road? I do remember a kids older brother died from a fall from the elevator shaft there. I don't remember it being called Snakeland, but I was always warned by my mother to never go near that place. 

Edited by Guffalo

9 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Who remembers "Snakeland" at the Tonawanda grain elevators?

This was popular in the local press for a while as a site where bad kids hung out and allegedly practiced satanism and what not.

Was anyone there back in the day?  Have any good stories?

What do you remember?

Just vague recollections. I think it turned out to be fake news before fake news was a thing.

2 hours ago, Guffalo said:

Were those the ones on Military road? I do remember a kids older brother died from a fall from the elevator shaft there. I don't remember it being called Snakeland, but I was always warned by my mother to never go near that place. 

Yes, I think that's right.

Here is video of it being demolished in May 2000.

2 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

Just vague recollections. I think it turned out to be fake news before fake news was a thing.

I highly doubt satanic rituals were being practiced there, so in that regard, I agree.

I do think some stuff was going down there, though.

I seem to recall this being a thing in like the early '80s.

We need some older posters to chime in.  I'm 47 and still kind of too young to really remember it.

Edited by Fadingpain