Heading to WNY........

Chef Jim

1 minute ago, mead107 said:

Might as well buy your retirement home while in NY 

Thanks for the advice but I don't need any advice.  When I visit WNY in the summer I think "you know...I could live here".  And then I visit in the winter and I think "this isn't even a great place to visit, let alone live here!"

22 minutes ago, mead107 said:

Might as well buy your retirement home while in NY 

If you are not a warm weather fan there are plenty of places around that are not expensive to own but then you need to analyze the tax and utilities angles.  Enough pressure downward on the regional economy to keep home values down especially in the little towns and villages.

1 minute ago, RochesterRob said:

If you are not a warm weather fan there are plenty of places around that are not expensive to own but then you need to analyze the tax and utilities angles.  Enough pressure downward on the regional economy to keep home values down especially in the little towns and villages.

Thanks for the advice but I don't need any advice.  Sorry but I'm a warm weather fan. A very warm weather fan.  So much of a warm weather fan anything below 60 is cold to me.  And just where I'd want to live.  An area with downward pressure on the economy. 

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

Thanks for the advice but I don't need any advice.  Sorry but I'm a warm weather fan. A very warm weather fan.  So much of a warm weather fan anything below 60 is cold to me.  And just where I'd want to live.  An area with downward pressure on the economy. 

So stay in the house and turn the heat to 80.  

Stock up on food for 5 months and don’t come out of the house. ???

14 minutes ago, mead107 said:

So stay in the house and turn the heat to 80.  

Stock up on food for 5 months and don’t come out of the house. ???

Thanks for the advice but I don't need any advice. Dude I can't sit still for 5 minutes let alone 5 months. Oh and it's 6 months. 

16 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Just making general conversation.  The region does get a little influx from outside as some retirees can stretch their money by cashing in their multiple hundreds of thousands of dollars home down by Boston, NYC, Philly to buy a place maybe worth 100,000 dollars and bank what does not go for income taxes on the sale of the old home.  Trouble is there is still a lack of quality buyers so homes struggle to sell for what owners hope to get for them here.

13 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

you know I was just in Buffalo, and if I were you I would definitely do the Buffalo Architecture tour. Just fantastic. And you're welcome!

Thanks for the advice but I don’t need any advice. Especially regarding architecture.  For those of you that don’t know I’m the lead architect for Vandelay Industries. 

5 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Good timing... I just left... And happened to visit Letchworth.

Our paths won't meet.

?

Whew that was a close one. Planning on Letchworth Friday. Mainly for a tour of East Hill Creamery in Perry. Figured I’d hit Letchworth at the same time.  BTW their cheese looks good. 

http://www.easthillcreamery.com/

• Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Thanks for the advice but I don’t need any advice. Especially regarding architecture.  For those of you that don’t know I’m the lead architect for Vandelay Industries. 

Whew that was a close one. Planning on Letchworth Friday. Mainly for a tour of East Hill Creamery in Perry. Figured I’d hit Letchworth at the same time.  BTW their cheese looks good. 

http://www.easthillcreamery.com/

LoL... Water was nice... Pretty high for summer... Upper Falls were roaring.  Didn't get to visit dam in Mount Morris this time.  Maybe I will piss you off and see if the Corps has a job opening there. That way I can always be on hand for your visits.?

Thanks for the advice!  We passed that place in Perry last Tuesday... 

11 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

LoL... Water was nice... Pretty high for summer... Upper Falls were roaring.  Didn't get to visit dam in Mount Morris this time.  Maybe I will piss you off and see if the Corps has a job opening there. That way I can always be on hand for your visits.?

Thanks for the advice!  We passed that place in Perry last Tuesday... 

My sistet said their cheese is expensive.  That’s a good sign. Their marketing director grew up across from my other sister in Bergen so it should be a good tour. I told her I make my own cheese so I need some tips. 

16 minutes ago, Wacka said:

I thought you were in import and export of latex products.

I import only. And for personal use. 

Edited by Chef Jim
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Chef Jim said:

My sistet said their cheese is expensive.  That’s a good sign. Their marketing grew up across from my other sister in Bergen so it should be a good tour. I told her I make my own cheese so I need some tips. 

My wife would have loved it.  My bankbook not so much.  But we know who wears the pants.

But... Site has been bookmarked! I am a gluten for punishment.  Will pitch stopping there next time... Look like a hero.

Went to Glen Iris Inn for lunch on Tuesday.  One old guy comes in and looks @ menu, checks it out... And signals: "Not bad [price I assume] to his wife."  You gotta be kidding... We gotta out of there under 70 bucks for my wife, daughter, and myself.  Very, very cheap... 

The creamery can't be that bad... It's in country, sticks... Couple hundro we spend heading back from Wisconsin @ some cheesy touristtourist trap... At least we'd be getting good artisan stuff...

Just now, ExiledInIllinois said:

My wife would have loved it.  My bankbook not so much.  But we know who wears the pants.

But... Site has been bookmarked! I am a gluten for punishment.  Will pitch stopping there next time... Look like a hero.

Went to Glen Iris Inn for lunch on Tuesday.  One old guy comes in and looks @ menu, checks it out... And signals: "Not bad [price I assume] to his wife."  You gotta be kidding... We gotta out of there under 70 bucks for my wife, daughter, and myself.  Very, very cheap... 

The creamery can't be that bad... It's in country, sticks... Couple hundro we spend heading back from Wisconsin @ some cheesy touristtourist trap... At least we'd be getting good artisan stuff...

With all the dairy in WNY I have no idea why it’s not flooded with artisinal cheesemakers. I’ve considered it but a too much hard work at the point in my life. My cousin’s ex-husband’s step sons (how’s that for the conjugation of the family tree) run First Light Creamery in Bethany. They are predominately goat cheese while East Hill is 100% cow. 

6 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

With all the dairy in WNY I have no idea why it’s not flooded with artisinal cheesemakers. I’ve considered it but a too much hard work at the point in my life. My cousin’s ex-husband’s step sons (how’s that for the conjugation of the family tree) run First Light Creamery in Bethany. They are predominately goat cheese while East Hill is 100% cow. 

Yeah!  My wife would have been all on it!  I think she was snoozing when we passed a sign... That would have killed the day... And insuing (cheap) hike. LoL...

I was surprised at the amount of field w/soy.  Big presence.  But didn't look as well as it has been here.  Corn a bit peaked.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah!  My wife would have been all on it!  I think she was snoozing when we passed a sign... That would have killed the day... And insuing (cheap) hike. LoL...

I was surprised at the amount of field w/soy.  Big presence.  But didn't look as well as it has been here.  Corn a bit peaked.

From what I’ve seen/heard many farmers are going to soy vs corn. Grass fed is the best for cheese. 

2 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

From what I’ve seen/heard many farmers are going to soy vs corn. Grass fed is the best for cheese. 

Side note:  Won't be too happy after the recent turn of events.  I hear China is doing same with the soy movement... ? 

But NYS is a BlueState... Unlike the lamenting from states like, cough, cough... Iowa... Ooops...