RIP Vinnie Paul

Azalin

My son told me about this last night.  Very sad.  54 is too young.  Pantera was never my cup of tea, but man - they were talented; especially the Abbott bros (and especially Dimebag).

RIP, Vinnie.

i remember hearing Pantera for the first time in high school and just thinking "holy ****"! they definitely threw the doors of metal music wide open. they had a sound all their own and an incredibly passionate fan base. i was very sad to hear of Dime's passing, especially the way it happened. this one was just plain unexpected. thanks for the music, and may you find peace.

31 minutes ago, CowgirlsFan said:

Had ties to the Dallas Fort Worth Texas area.

They grew up there - I believe their neighborhood is nicknamed Dalworthington (Dallas/Ft Worth/Arlington).

I lived in Irving for 7 months in '98/'99 and saw one concert while I was there - Black Sabbath at Reunion Arena with Pantera opening. I didn't like Pantera at the time - Phil's vocals were a bit much for me. That show was incredible. Dime was a beast. Pantera was so good that I was shocked. I literally went from not liking them to being a fan in one day. I had all their albums by the end of the month.

The crowd loved them, too. They were essentially playing for their home town fans.

The Abbotts lost their mom years ago, now they're both gone too. Their dad, Jerry, is all that's left of the family.

Yes...that sounds about right.

Interesting that you lived in Irving. I didn't realize you did.

I was born in Fort Worth in 1953. I married and moved to Arlington in 1976. I  lived there until 2014 . I now live in Granbury about an hour southwest of Fort Worth.

I always listen to 1310 AM The Ticket and have heard so many things about this family.

It is well rumored that the group hosted the Stars a few days after they won the Stanley Cup at their house. The best rumor is that one of the group threw the cup into their swimming pool from the balcony of one of the bedrooms on the second floor.

Edited by CowgirlsFan
Spelling