Jim, Jim, Jim...

16 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

But the good news is that CA just passed a law to make it legal to intentionally give someone an STD.  Unless it's AIDS, then it's a misdemeanor.

So intentionally giving someone AIDS is a misdemeanor? Must not be much of a disease anymore.

14 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

So intentionally giving someone AIDS is a misdemeanor? Must not be much of a disease anymore.

The explicit reason given for the change (from a felony carrying a 3-8 year sentence) was " societal and medical understanding of HIV has greatly improved. Effective treatments dramatically lengthen and improve the quality of life for people living with HIV — treatments that also nearly eliminate the possibility of transmission."

Direct quote.  Literally, "if you get it these days, it's not so bad."

2 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

The explicit reason given for the change (from a felony carrying a 3-8 year sentence) was " societal and medical understanding of HIV has greatly improved. Effective treatments dramatically lengthen and improve the quality of life for people living with HIV — treatments that also nearly eliminate the possibility of transmission."

It's ludicrous for intentionally giving someone AIDS or other std's only being a misdemeanor. What would a person give (moneywise) to not to have ever contracted the disease? Now compare this to the $400 theft that triggers grand larceny and a state mandated prison term. I know that it varies depending on health insurance but think what contracting AIDS might be do to a person financially. Deliberately giving someone AIDS is no different than assault with a deadly weapon.

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

If he's not getting any he can be lumped in with DC Tom as a potential mass murderer. We need to take away his weapons.

Which weapon? His carving knife? His 8" frying pan? His 2 quart pot? 

28 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

It would probably blow some folks minds that HIV/AIDS doesn’t actually 

kill you.

6 minutes ago, Commsvet11 said:

kill you.

Well the complications do, and will, assiuming you don’t have the hundreds of thousands of dollars for a lifetime’s worth of treatment 

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

Well the complications do, and will, assiuming you don’t have the hundreds of thousands of dollars for a lifetime’s worth of treatment 

Well hopefully we continue to research it, but prevention is the best option either way.

7 minutes ago, Commsvet11 said:

kill you.

Yeah.  Pneumocystis pneumonia, fulminant toxoplasmosis, cryptococcal meningitis, Kaposi's sarcoma, cryptosporidiosis, HIV-related encephalopathy...none of those kill you.

6 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Yeah.  Pneumocystis pneumonia, fulminant toxoplasmosis, cryptococcal meningitis, Kaposi's sarcoma, cryptosporidiosis, HIV-related encephalopathy...none of those kill you.

None of those kill you with a healthy immune system. Those are what we call opportunistic pathogens.

That is my point the actual HIV virus isn’t what kills a person, it’s an opportunist pathogen after the immune system has been weakened.

In fact Kaposi Sarcoma was an indicator that HIV was an immunosuppressive disease, elderly usually are the patients due to a weakened immune system, but young men that seemed  healthy had this skin lesion. Which in turn asked the question why does a young person show an elderly patient disease.

10 minutes ago, Commsvet11 said:

None of those kill you with a healthy immune system. Those are what we call opportunistic pathogens.

That is my point the actual HIV virus isn’t what kills a person, it’s an opportunist pathogen after the immune system has been weakened.

In fact Kaposi Sarcoma was an indicator that HIV was an immunosuppressive disease, elderly usually are the patients due to a weakened immune system, but young men that seemed  healthy had this skin lesion. Which in turn asked the question why does a young person show an elderly patient disease.

HIV is not a disease.  It is a virus.  AIDS is...not a disease, it's a syndrome.  Characterized by infections of the list I mentioned, which are diseases.    

Just now, DC Tom said:

HIV is not a disease.  It is a virus.  AIDS is...not a disease, it's a syndrome.  Characterized by infections of the list I mentioned, which are diseases.    

The nomenclature disease is synonymous to a viral infection, I mean we can split hairs about the terminology, you see it as syndrome and I see it as stage 3 in HIV. 

2 minutes ago, Commsvet11 said:

The nomenclature disease is synonymous to a viral infection, I mean we can split hairs about the terminology, you see it as syndrome and I see it as stage 3 in HIV. 

Well, why not split hairs about the terminology?  You're splitting hairs about whether or not it kills you.  :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Commsvet11 said:

Well hopefully we continue to research it, but prevention is the best option either way.

So getting HIV or AIDS is a behavioural fault??

Edited by row_33