one thing that has gone unmentioned - talent level on D

21 hours ago, NickelCity said:

Agree with everything being said here. I'd actually be fairly optimistic overall if I wasn't convinced Castillo was going to go with Bodine and Ducasse. Effing Castillo. 

i would say you could put wood on the back of bodine's jersey and no one would know the difference...and he's worked with a.j.

16 hours ago, njbuff said:

I like the D overall, but I don't know if making a 20 year old rookie the MLB is a wise idea.

Time will tell.

he'll split with humber for a while. humber's very serviceable.

14 hours ago, TigerJ said:

That, and retooling the running backs.  Shady may or may not stick around.  He's at an age where he could hit the wall anytime, but even if he stays and is productive, Beane will want to add some youth to the backfield besides at QB.

here's to hoping shady stays and is the next fred jackson and goes out as part of the family.

10 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

i would say you could put wood on the back of bodine's jersey and no one would know the difference...and he's worked with a.j.

he'll split with humber for a while. humber's very serviceable.

Humber was bad in the second half of last year. If this is the case, the Bills would be better off just riding Edmunds growing pains.

58 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I'm pretty bullish on this defense, given the talent level relative to fit/scheme.  The DL should be above average.  I truly feel our edge rushers will look much, much better this year now that we've have legit DT's in the fold, along with the addition of Murphy.

At LB, we have Edmunds and Milano, who are not only talented but perfect fits for what McDermott wants his linebackers to do.  We could absolutely use an upgrade at Lorax's spot and move him to depth LB/situational pass rusher.  Stanford is a guy we went out a targeted as a FA, and Jets fans seem pretty high on him wishing he would've gotten a bigger chance in NY.  Humber is ok depth and Vallejo is a young guy who, again fits the LB mold of speed speed speed.   We could also see Neal as the 3rd LB/in the box safety.  I'll concede that this unit I'm high on due to potential, relative to the youth at the position, than any concrete data.

Most would acknowledge we have one of the best secondaries in the NFL.  White, Poyer and Hyde and all big time players.  Vontae Davis is the wild card.  If he regains even 75% of his form, this unit is outstanding.  Neal/Bush give us safety depth and Johnson/P. Gaines gives us DB depth. 

I think this defense, led by Frazier and McDermott, could be a top 10 defense.  If Edmunds can play right away and Vontae Davis regains his form, they absolutely should be, without question.

Okay, but remember that this defense last fall finished 26th in yards allowed per game, 18th in points given up per game, and 3rd from last in the league in sacks. There is still a long way to go before we can be considered top 5-10 and "elite." We all seem to acknowledge that the LB unit could use one more quality starter (from the post-June 1 cuts?), that the DB's are looking great, and that the DL has good depth. Where I may disagree with others is probably in my assessment of the starting front 4. Hughes-Lotulelei-Williams-Murphy looks pretty mediocre to me (on paper). My biggest beef is with Hughes, whom I believe to be a mentally deficient clown that will never again reach 10 sacks in a year and will be off the roster by next January. 

14 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Humber was bad in the second half of last year. If this is the case, the Bills would be better off just riding Edmunds growing pains.

they probably will.

3 minutes ago, BiffFromTonawanda said:

Okay, but remember that this defense last fall finished 26th in yards allowed per game, 18th in points given up per game, and 3rd from last in the league in sacks. There is still a long way to go before we can be considered top 5-10 and "elite." We all seem to acknowledge that the LB unit could use one more quality starter (from the post-June 1 cuts?), that the DB's are looking great, and that the DL has good depth. Where I may disagree with others is probably in my assessment of the starting front 4. Hughes-Lotulelei-Williams-Murphy looks pretty mediocre to me (on paper). My biggest beef is with Hughes, whom I believe to be a mentally deficient clown that will never again reach 10 sacks in a year and will be off the roster by next January. 

he was the best on that line for the last 2 yrs.

21 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

There are still questions at LB. Edmonds likely starts day one but who knows what kind of rookie issues he will have. The LB Corp’s was the weakness of the D last year. 

LBs are only as good as the guys in front of them and honestly our defensive front was pretty bad. There was a reason we added Lotulelei and Murphy. Of course still think we need to find a strong side LB. 

5 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

LBs are only as good as the guys in front of them and honestly our defensive front was pretty bad. There was a reason we added Lotulelei and Murphy. Of course still think we need to find a strong side LB. 

A couple of these UDFA’s will have the best shot at earning a roster spot at LB. Let’s hope the Bills have a diamond in the rough.

Corey Thompson is the one UDFA who I have watched and I think he has the skill set to win a roster spot and be a very productive pro.

We shall see.