TEXAS A&M
232: R7P16

P JAKE BAILEY
STANFORD

It checks all the boxes!  Even punter!

Edited by thunderingsquid
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5. Buffalo Bills

Jonah Williams, OT, Alabama. The Bills need to build a sturdy offensive line around Josh Allen, especially considering his field-stretching arm and the vast vertical elements in Buffalo's offensive scheme. Williams is the best blocker in the draft and began his career at Alabama on the right side. He starts at right tackle for Buffalo as a rookie. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

You dont use 1st round picks on right tackles

I used to say the same thing John but times have changed. You see, you and I go back to the days when Right Tackles were primarily brutal run blockers and pass protection was less important. Now, it is a passing league and having a RT who excels at pass blocking is a HUGE plus for a team. The rule changes have made running the football less important. This is sad (to some) but true.

I don't know anything at all about this kid Risner but if there was a player I thought would be a GREAT Right Tackle out there, I would draft him in a second. Perhaps not in the top 5 but make no mistake, the RT position means more than it used to, and I love the thought of Allen playing behind an Erik Williams or Jon Runyon style RT.

I wonder how many even remember those 2 great players  :)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Dane Brugler's Mock Draft 1.0

Subscription required for full access:

As we enter the fourth quarter of the NFL season, several organizations around the league have shifted focus to the offseason and ways to improve the roster. For some teams, that means a projected top-10 pick and the opportunity to draft a cornerstone player, possibly a quarterback.

Four quarterbacks were drafted in the top 10 last season and the New York Giants passed on three of them. Will they bypass a quarterback in the top 10 this year? The Jaguars appear ready to move on from Blake Bortles, but will they look to draft a quarterback or go for the quick fix via trade/free agency?

The answers to those questions might depend on which underclassmen declare. Draft-eligible prospects, like quarterbacks Justin Herbert (Oregon) and Dwayne Haskins (Ohio State) have until Jan. 14, 2019 to enter the 2019 NFL Draft. The draft order for this mock draft is based on the current order. The first tie-breaker for the same record is strength of schedule, and my order here is based on current strength of schedule through 12 games, not projected, 16-game strength of schedule.

7. Buffalo Bills – Greedy Williams, CB, LSU

GettyImages-1039800486.jpg

While the Bills are in good shape at one cornerback spot with 2017 first-rounder Tre’Davious White, the cornerback spot opposite him has been a noticeable issue. Williams, who redshirted during White’s senior season at LSU, has a unique blend of height, length and athletic twitch to mirror receivers up and down the field, competing with the personality required for the position.

42 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I used to say the same thing John but times have changed. You see, you and I go back to the days when Right Tackles were primarily brutal run blockers and pass protection was less important. Now, it is a passing league and having a RT who excels at pass blocking is a HUGE plus for a team. The rule changes have made running the football less important. This is sad (to some) but true.

I don't know anything at all about this kid Risner but if there was a player I thought would be a GREAT Right Tackle out there, I would draft him in a second. Perhaps not in the top 5 but make no mistake, the RT position means more than it used to, and I love the thought of Allen playing behind an Erik Williams or Jon Runyon style RT.

I wonder how many even remember those 2 great players  :)

I agree with you that the left and right tackle profile has changed along with the qb protecting rules of the NFL. If Williams was drafted should he be placed on the right side? I don't care. Bring in talent and then let the coaches sort it out as to who should play where. The advantage of drafting Jonah Williams is that he is capable of playing any position along the line. Having a RT being able to play LT or any of the guard positions is a versatility that should be prized. 

The primary issue for me relates to the question of what do you do to put your young qb in the best position to succeed. If you want to increase his chances to succeed then buttress the OL. He will not only be better protected but that upgrade will also enhance his play-action passing ability with a good running game. If I were given the choice between substantially upgrading the receiver unit or the OL unit I would without hesitation choose the OL because that upgrade reverberates throughout the offense.  

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.