On this day, 8 years ago, Bills selected...

2 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

It's interesting to look at the names knowing what we know now.

With that 9th pick we could have had:

Earl Thomas

Mike Iupati

Jason Pierre Paul

Maurkice Pouncey

Jerry Hughes

Or some guy the Patriots ended up taking in the second round named Rob Gronkowski.

Bills took Torell Troup with the immediately preceding pick! 

:lol:

Didn't we need an OT then? Anthony Davis, taken by SF at 11?

I desperately wanted us to take an OT.  Trent Williams was my guy but I accepted he was never going to get to us..... Anthony Davis was the guy I wanted us to take when we went on the clock.  He had a solid, but short NFL career as a right tackle..... on reflection he probably wouldn't have solved our left tackle issue (Cordy Glenn a year later was a better choice in hindsight) but I still would have preferred him to Spiller mind you.....

11 hours ago, peterpan said:

That was also the year we passed on Gronk I believe. 

I've always believed that Gronk would have been a washout here in Buffalo -- he would have been a solid player, but nothing close to the phenomenon we've seen in New England with B&B. 

This has nothing to do with his abilities or skill -- he's one of the greatest, if not the greatest, to play the position. I just don't think the coaching staff or QBs here in Buffalo would have been able to use him appropriately at all. Playing with B&B allowed him to absolutely get every last bit of production out of his talent, and he'll be in Canton one day.

I guess the only upside to the Bills taking Gronk is that he wouldn't have been in New England.... but they probably would have just found another way to tear teams apart.