Had an argument with a friend about Thurman Thomas

I argued that Thurman is overlooked in the world of modern running backs and is a top 10 RB in NFL history...

sure he didn’t dazzle like Barry or churn out 5 yard runs at a whack like Emmitt... but he was the most complete back of his time... 

his running, receiving, blocking and toughness made him the most rounded back of his Era

his power / speed ratio was the best in the NFL and he was a violent runner

led the NFL in yards from scrimmage an NFL record 4 consecutive seasons... an NFL MVP... a first ballot HoF

9th ALL TIME in yards from scrimmage 

As a student of the game I don’t find it foolish to say Thurman is a top 10 modern back

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 7

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I argued that Thurman is overlooked in the world of modern running backs and is a top 10 RB in NFL history...

sure he didn’t dazzle like Barry or churn out 5 yard runs at a whack like Emmitt... but he was the most complete back of his time... 

his running, receiving, blocking and toughness made him the most rounded back of his Era

his power / speed ratio was the best in the NFL and he was a violent runner

led the NFL in yards from scrimmage an NFL record 4 consecutive seasons... an NFL MVP... a first ballot HoF

As a student of the game I don’t find it foolish to say Thurman is a top 10 modern back

Define modern as in what era.

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

I fully agree. Emmitt is overrated IMO playing as long as he did behind great OLines. He was certainly good, but I’d rather have Thurman. 

Those were some of my points...

emmitt had over 1700 more carries than Thurman... extrapolate Thurman’s 4.2 over 1700 carries and he retires around 18000 and the record

• Thank you (+1) 1

It’s not fair or maybe even correct, but I knock Faulk down because he’s an idiot. And AP hardly ever caught a ball and was not the pass protection guy Thurman was. 

Yes, I’m biased.  :)

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It's a crowded group.  Just like WR is. 

I’d support Thurman more in the push up than Andre. Hey, just my opinion. Thurman should have been Super Bowl MVP in a friggin loss. Give him the ball more and we actually WIN! 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

It's a crowded group.  Just like WR is. 

Yup. My point was how well rounded Thurman was...

You can make the case he was the Engine that kept the K gun running... he did everything for the Bills

i don’t think he’s the best but being as well rounded and versatile as he is pushes him up the list imo

give him 4000 Carries like Emmitt and he has the rushing title

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Augie said:

I’d support Thurman more in the push up than Andre. Hey, just my opinion. Thurman should have been Super Bowl MVP in a friggin loss. Give him the ball more and we actually WIN! 

I agree wholeheartedly, but please don't get me started. 15 FN carries for the entire game was a travesty!

• Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

It’s not fair or maybe even correct, but I knock Faulk down because he’s an idiot. And AP hardly ever caught a ball and was not the pass protection guy Thurman was. 

Yes, I’m biased.  :)

No those are legitimate arguments...

peterson is a great runner but he isn’t lightyears ahead of Thurman.

add in Thurmans receiving and blocking and he is wayyy more a complete back

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yup. My point was how well rounded Thurman was...

You can make the case he was the Engine that kept the K gun running... he did everything for the Bills

i don’t think he’s the best but being as well rounded and versatile as he is pushes him up the list imo

give him 4000 Carries like Emmitt and he has the rushing title

The difference between these all time great RBs is razor thin. 

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

No those are legitimate arguments...

peterson is a great runner but he isn’t lightyears ahead of Thurman.

add in Thurmans receiving and blocking and he is wayyy more a complete back

There’s a reason Barry didn't Start sooner in college. A really, really GOOD reason to keep a HOF RB on the bench. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

The difference between these all time great RBs is razor thin. 

Yes thank you that was another point of mine... my friend is a hockey player at heart not football 

i tried saying that just because I’m saying Thurman was better than Emmitt in no way am I knocking Emmitt...

all these first ballad RBs are legends and are sooo close respectively. You can’t say with a straight face that Sweetness was better than Barry

they are both legends and it’s more a preference of style