What Exactly is the EDGE Position in the NFL?

Irv

Seems like that name for a position slowly crept into, and now is firmly ensconced in the NFL vernacular.  Where did this term originate and what exactly does it mean? 

I think there was just too many teams playing Hybrid 4-3/3-4 defenses with ends standing up and dropping into coverage and linebackers putting their hands in the dirt that this was just an easier way to classify players whose main goal in any defense is to get after the QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yes, exactly. Hughes, Merriman, Von Miller, Justin Houston, etc. I believe it would also apply to guys like Mario Williams as well.

Which is why Williams was the #1 overall pick.  At his size and athleticism....he can rush from the edge and set the edge very well.

The body of Zeus but the heart and passion of me playing adult league kickball....

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Which is why Williams was the #1 overall pick.  At his size and athleticism....he can rush from the edge and set the edge very well.

The body of Zeus but the heart and passion of me playing adult league kickball....

I feel like youd take that pretty seriously...

• Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Irv said:

Seems like that name for a position slowly crept into, and now is firmly ensconced in the NFL vernacular.  Where did this term originate and what exactly does it mean? 

It really is a defensive term, where the outside LB, or sometimes the DE, are supposed to "set the edge." It means don't get blocked so the runner can get outside of you. No matter what you have to "set the edge" and make sure the runner gets turned inside where there's more defenders. And that makes him an "edge player."

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Football-101-Setting-the-edge/aed14416-f069-4615-911c-cc7b7822a72c

Unfortunately, as you have said, it's now become an overused term to describe basically anything to the outside. Commentators now say "he's trying to get to the edge" when a RB is heading for the pylon. Or they talk about receivers "out on the edge" any time they're lined up wide.

Any more "the edge" really just means "outside." 

Edited by Tuco

9 minutes ago, Tuco said:

It really is a defensive term, where the outside LB, or sometimes the DE, are supposed to "set the edge." It means don't get blocked so the runner can get outside of you. No matter what you have to "set the edge" and make sure the runner gets turned inside where there's more defenders.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Football-101-Setting-the-edge/aed14416-f069-4615-911c-cc7b7822a72c

Unfortunately, as you have said, it's now become an overused term to describe basically anything to the outside. Commentators now say "he's trying to get to the edge" when a RB is heading for the pylon. Or they talk about receivers "out on the edge" any time they're lined up wide.

Any more "the edge" really just means "outside." 

I... dont think that's entirely correct.

The term EDGE started getting used with players being swapped between 3/4 and 4/3. In the 4/3, the edge rusher is considered a DE, in the 3/4 he's a OLB. Instead of calling a guy a DE and then getting confused when he "changes" to OLB, they just call the position EDGE. Because a DE in the 3/4 is more of an interior lineman.

Had nothing to do with "setting the edge", although that could be one of their duties. It's just more about simplifying position names with different schemes.

Edit: For example, here is the Drafttek "EDGE" page. It specifies "edge rushers" and none of the guys on that list are going to primarily be setting edges: http://www.drafttek.com/2018-NFL-Draft-Prospect-Rankings/Top-College-Defensive-Ends-2018-Draft.asp

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I... dont think that's entirely correct.

The term EDGE started getting used with players being swapped between 3/4 and 4/3. In the 4/3, the edge rusher is considered a DE, in the 3/4 he's a OLB. Instead of calling a guy a DE and then getting confused when he "changes" to OLB, they just call the position EDGE. Because a DE in the 3/4 is more of an interior lineman.

Had nothing to do with "setting the edge", although that could be one of their duties. It's just more about simplifying position names with different schemes.

The edge guy comes from outside the tackle (7tech in 4-3). setting the edge is a DE playing in a 5tech (typically) or 7 shade over the TE. His job generally is to set the edge and force the RB either inside or out (or spill) depending on the D scheme. 

3 minutes ago, dbflaBill said:

The edge guy comes from outside the tackle (7tech in 4-3). setting the edge is a DE playing in a 5tech (typically) or 7 shade over the TE. His job generally is to set the edge and force the RB either inside or out (or spill) depending on the D scheme. 

Nah, see my edit. It is about rushing the passer. EDGE Rusher. Not setting the edge. That's the other side of the field.

edit: you know what, I'll split the difference. Looking back, it's tough to tell how they have these guys sorted. I'll admit, some of them will be setting an edge.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

Is that how you landed Mrs Cheese?

That would be a better story if it was true.  I actually interviewed her for a job.  When I left that company, I reached out to her for a drink....wouldn't be "professional" if I we connected while still with the company she interviewed for.

• Like (+1) 1